Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof dome/light

• 28-04-2010 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

I need to get daylight into a bathroom (middle of the house , no window) .
    Room is about 7' x 6 '.
    What is a good one to get. Is there a correct size for this size of room.
    What should I expect to pay for one and any suggestions as to where to buy.
    And finally......are they any good?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

put in a velux
    http://www.velux.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

OP, do you mean a light tube?

Some info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭cosmowillie53

Yes thats it .. a light tube.

Same questions as above and I forgot to say its going on an apex roof.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Look at the second link, it gives rooms size, RRP and stockists. Roof type shouldn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

if i were you id go with a velux window. the lightubes look great on the display in the shop but the ones ive fitted in houses didnt actually let in much light at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would really see if there is any way you can use artifical light and ventilation better in the space. It will ultimately be less expensive and less disruptive, even if you go for some quite fancy lights. A velux window (or a light tube) will lose a lot of heat, resulting in higher ongoing costs. You won't get that much benefit from the job because it is a room that you will use for a relatively short time each day.

My experience of one 'eco house' that had a light tube into the bathroom and into the back of the sitting room was very underwhelming. The one in the bathroom didn't really deliver enough light to be any use in a bathroom, even during the day. If you had a bigger one and it was facing the right direction, you might get a better result. But you still have the heat loss problem.

cork2 wrote: »
    if i were you id go with a velux window. the lightubes look great on the display in the shop but the ones ive fitted in houses didnt actually let in much light at all.

I will have to fit it on north facing side of roof. Will I get good light . For the size of room I have what size velux would I need. Remember this light will have to pass down through the attic . I suppose a carpenter will make some sort of light tunnel. Will I be able to get rid of the annoying fan if velux is fitted.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

A lot of house in our estate have them. In winter time if there is snow you won't see any around the sky tubes. Heat pisses out of them

A lot of house in our estate have them. In winter time if there is snow you won't see any around the sky tubes. Heat pisses out of them
    Thanks for reply but.....
    See above.. I entend fitting velux.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 damone

the amount of light youll get depends on the length of shaft/tunnel youll need !ie.the distance from the ceiling to the roof,velux used to recommmend one tength of the floorspace you want lit up should be the size of the window you buy but thats a very vague recomendation due to a number of factors ,youll need pull chords to operate it too which will mean bye bye to annoying fan!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info above folks. I have another question..
    How much should I expect to pay (in Dublin) for the labour for the complete job. That is fit velux, and make a tunnel from the velux down to the ceiling in the bathroom.
    Thanks for info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

300 or there abouts
    350 max
    timber work

• Registered Users Posts: 38 damone

its impossible to even guess a price without lookin at a job like that ,a lot of factors ie,length and size of shaft,plaster, tape and joint or stipple finish ,if theres wires or pipes in the way, best of luck !!!

Advertisement