Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP!!!!!

• 28-04-2010 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Okay, so heres the deal...My mam is going away on Saturday to Spain and she only tries to see what clothes she has for the hol til tonight and as it turns out she has eff all! Shes gained weight since her last sun holiday and is starting to panic now so I said we'd go shopping tomorrow but funds are seriously seriously low!!!! About €50 is how low!! I don't know if its possible.

Anyone any ideas/advice/ anything!!!! She is a pear shape and Penneys clothes arent a great shape for her but I think its gonna be our only option.

So please some help...what dya think are the essentials she needs for day and night!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Ruthie_ wrote: »
    Okay, so heres the deal...My mam is going away on Saturday to Spain and she only tries to see what clothes she has for the hol til tonight and as it turns out she has eff all! Shes gained weight since her last sun holiday and is starting to panic now so I said we'd go shopping tomorrow but funds are seriously seriously low!!!! About €50 is how low!! I don't know if its possible.

Anyone any ideas/advice/ anything!!!! She is a pear shape and Penneys clothes arent a great shape for her but I think its gonna be our only option.

So please some help...what dya think are the essentials she needs for day and night!

Thanks in advance!

Pennys and Dunnes are prob your best options but also check out New Look. It's best to go for seperates that can be dressed up in different ways with existing accessories she has! I'd go for one cardi, one blouse that can be worn open or closed, 2 or 3 inexpensive tops that float away from the stomach area and a one skirt and one pair of linen trousers (or two skirts or one skirt and one dress depending on what's available!) Im assuming she already has existing shoes and sandals and jewellery and scarfs for night time??

Or if she likes leggings and dresses just get a few pairs of leggings and as many dresses as you can get for your money and she'll have a different look every day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

I was in Tesco the other night & they had the holiday stuff coming in. You can get shorts 2 pairs for I think 10 or 12 euro - dif colours to chose from. Tho one of the mates came back from Spain about a week or two or go wasn't all that warm.

Ohh and €50 is def enough for the summer clothes bits if your going for a week! I bought all mine for a weeks sun hol last year in Tesco for less!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Whenever I go on hols I always bring loads and end up wearing only about four different things.
    I think she should go for short summer dresses, that you could wear day or night.
    Two or three different bikinis that can mix and match.
    Capri pants or shorts in neutral colours, and a few vest tops, that could mix and match.
    All of these could be bought in Penneys or Dunnes so would be cheap enough. Actually saw shorts in tesco, but one get one free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Cadyboo wrote: »
    Whenever I go on hols I always bring loads and end up wearing only about four different things.
    I think she should go for short summer dresses, that you could wear day or night.
    Two or three different bikinis that can mix and match.
    Capri pants or shorts in neutral colours, and a few vest tops, that could mix and match.
    All of these could be bought in Penneys or Dunnes so would be cheap enough. Actually saw shorts in tesco, but one get one free.

Same as me last year, turned out from the whole case what I used most was 2 pairs of shorts, a skirt, 3 bikinis, a dress & a few tops & lil knitted shrug I brought to keep me warm in the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

If you go to Dunnes or Pennys €50 is loads for holiday gear. As mentioned above, people tend to overpack (myself included) and only wear about one-third of what they actually pack!

Buying separates that match works really well and cuts down on expense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

Try Dunnes they have nice holidays tops and shorts for as little as €5
    and she would get some reasonable swimwear there to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruthie_

Aww thanks for all the advice.

She has shoes and I'll lend her flip flops for the beach and I'll lend her some accessories too so its basically the clothes she needs

Defo gonna hit Tescos, Penneys and Dunnes. I seen lovely sun dresses in Penneys for next to nothing but my mam is a bit self conscious of her legs dya think its ok for a 52 year old to wear leggings? I'm thinking it is but then I second guess myself, what do you guys think?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

dya think its ok for a 52 year old to wear leggings? I'm thinking it is but then I second guess myself, what do you guys think?

I think it can really depend on the person. It can look awful on some people, at any age, and look amazing on others. If your mum does decide to wear leggings make sure that she doesn't wear them in any kind of mutton/lamb way. There's no need to dress like an old biddy but age appropriation is a good idea. There's nothing worse than looking at a 50 year old woman trying to dress like an 18 year old.

Best thing to do is to get your mum to try them on and see how they look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

I seen lovely sun dresses in Penneys for next to nothing but my mam is a bit self conscious of her legs dya think its ok for a 52 year old to wear leggings? I'm thinking it is but then I second guess myself, what do you guys think?
    Id think it is fine but if she is conscious, she wont wear them. Best with linen pants or even linen capri. They look lovely and dressy and are so comfy. Wish I was going away now:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruthie_

Ah yeah I don't mean her wearing some PVC wet look leggings *Shudders* But I think she will be able to pull it off, Im talking bout wearing leggings with sundresses that go down to your knees, that kinda look just to give her a little bit more coverage. I just wanted to check if it was alright cos I wasn't sure! Definitely a look that matches her age, I hate seeing more mature ladies dressed as 17 year olds!!!

Gonna go up to Penneys now as I seen loads of maxi dresses and summer dresses up there earlier for next to nothing! Gonna get her to try everything on as I've never seen her wearing that kind of stuff before (too cold in Ireland!) so we'll see if it suits!!

Wish me luck!!

And yeah I'm uber jealous, I'd love a hollier!! Another 3 months til mine :( I'll have some parties tho that'll make up for it :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement