Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are you going for kitchens?

• 28-04-2010 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Because I'm looking for names of companies I thought it'd be better here - We're currently pricing kitchens, ranging from Cash and Carry to more 'upmarket' ones. (Well out of our budget.)
    Are there better deals up north or where are people going for theirs?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Cash and carry
    In House
    Tierny Kitchens
    A1 Kitchens
    Kube Kitchens

All the above are very good and competitive.

Play 1 off the other for the best deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Add Nolan Kitchens and Newcastle Design to that list.

Where are you based?
    We're in the Midlands and have found a very competitively priced local kitchen guy ... no fancy showrooms to pay for as he says!
    He gets his product from this crowd... Frank Flanagan Fittings.
    http://www.fff.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

JuniorB,

Can you PM any details you may have? Im also in the midlands and looking at kitchens at the moment also...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Vodoo ... since we are in the Prices/Costs sub forum I assume I can name him... Mark Lohan Fitted Kitchens. He's in Roscommon town. 087 4171056
    For worktops... Egans in Kilbeggan- 057 9332167
    I've no association with either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

We paid dearly for our fitted kitchen and then I saw one in my cousins house which looked just as good. Ikea about 3k. worth a look .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Robin1

We are in the process of building and looking at kitchens ourselves. A friend of ours is a kitchen fitter and used to fit for Cash and Carry but he told us to stay well clear, the quality is apparently not great at all. He did however recommend In House (he's not working for them in case you were thinking that!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

Robin1 wrote: »
    We are in the process of building and looking at kitchens ourselves. A friend of ours is a kitchen fitter and used to fit for Cash and Carry but he told us to stay well clear, the quality is apparently not great at all. He did however recommend In House (he's not working for them in case you were thinking that!).

At same stage and am trying all of the various options in terms of high and low end on the cost scale to see where the most value can be got. I did visit In House in Limerick last week and found the salesman very good to be honest, very straightforward and knowledgable on their products. I met him on a saturday and he had some 3-d design shots to me by Monday morning, very efficient.
    It depends on what you are looking for, to me In House will provide you with a decent kitchen but it will not be a "full design" given that the units are off the factory shelf whereas someone like DenisHolmes in Limerick will do a bepoke design and fitting for you and manufacture each unit himself (or helper), the latter will obviosly cost alot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Ours is IKEA and we had a local cabinet maker fit it. Now it took a few trips to the store and nights on the computer to get to the final product but if you are on a budget that is what you can expect. A full design service will do much of that for you.

Get to see as many kitchens as you can, forget about the finish until you can are happy with the layout. Once you have that nailed then you can think about worktops and drawer fronts.

Advantage IKEA:
    Price
    quality
    range
    add ons
    availablility
    Great range of worktops.
    If you hate it you can change the doors! (happens)

Cons:
    totally flatpack (not to every fitters delight)
    Might have more planning to do yourself
    Applicances can be pricey (but you do not need to use them)
    Have to get to and from Dublin
    Not Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mendel

Looking at a B&Q cooke and lewis kitchen at the moment. will be waiting on one of their big sales to actually purchase.

Anyone any experience of buying/fitting a B&Q kitchen?

have a cash and carry kitchen in our current house. 7 years old. Units fairly wrecked i have to say but that may have been the case with any ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Robin1

At same stage and am trying all of the various options in terms of high and low end on the cost scale to see where the most value can be got. I did visit In House in Limerick last week and found the salesman very good to be honest, very straightforward and knowledgable on their products. I met him on a saturday and he had some 3-d design shots to me by Monday morning, very efficient.
    It depends on what you are looking for, to me In House will provide you with a decent kitchen but it will not be a "full design" given that the units are off the factory shelf whereas someone like DenisHolmes in Limerick will do a bepoke design and fitting for you and manufacture each unit himself (or helper), the latter will obviosly cost alot more.

We found the salespeople in In House quite good too, bit too pushy though, however we got our 3d drawings after waiting in the store (Galway) for about 1/2 hour, and they had a busy day.
    Unfortunately our budget won't stretch to a bespoke design and yes couldn't get everything we wanted in In House, e.g. no curved end units in the particular wood we wanted, but otherwise fairly happy so will probably go with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭selfbuildache

Afraid we won't be going the bespoke design route either:eek: But I've so far found the likes of Right Price Kitchens pretty good.
    Maybe we're thick but we found Ikea and the work involved just to time-consuming and confusing. Then we heard the quality wasn't that good so we took that excuse and left it. Maybe I need to get back there...
    I'm pretty sure of the layout by now, having gone to a few places. I too found In House kind of pushy and as they didn't have exactly what I wanted I haven't been back...
    Thanks for all replies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

does anyone know what happened to kitchenworld newbridge.
    the shop closed in april for easter and now there is nothing there. We just got our deposit back so maybe we are lucky.

They have gone bust?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

is this recent news as we were dealing with them up to easter on our kitchen. I know last year they went into administration but recovered.

Tierny Kitchens are currently cheaper than In House.I was recently quoted by both for the exact same kitchen and Tierny were aot cheaper.

Tierny are also currently doing a free fitting service if you buy from them in in the month of May.

RETAIL
    Kitchen World
    Kitchen World, the kitchen manufacturer rescued from examinership last year, has gone into liquidation, the Sunday Business Post reports. The firm has ten shops around the country but its owners decided to shut the company down after a fall-off in business. The firm has debts of almost €11 million and Anglo Irish Bank, which backed a buyout of the firm, is owed €7.5 million.

Creditors were told last week that profit margins had been squeezed and the company was finding it difficult to compete with rivals on the black market. Liquidator Paul McCann of Grant Thornton is hoping to sell the leasehold retail premises and manufacturing facility in Dublin.

Kitchen World entered examinership 16 months ago with debts of €14 million. Its former owners, Paul Begley and Francis Kearney, bought the company from examinership having sold it in 2007 for €9.9 million. The company struggled in recent months, however, and Modern Kitchen Investments, the vehicle used to complete the buyout, has a deficit of almost €7.5 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

paddy147 wrote: »
    Tierny Kitchens are currently cheaper than In House.I was recently quoted by both for the exact same kitchen and Tierny were aot cheaper.

Tierny are also currently doing a free fitting service if you buy from them in in the month of May.

thats a good one
    do tierney kitchens not get their kitchens of in-house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jarlathb

Kitchenworld went bust a few weeks ago.

Couldn't compete with handymen with no overheads.

http://www.thepost.ie/news/ireland/kitchen-firm-goes-to-the-wall-48999.html

endasmail wrote: »
    thats a good one
    do tierney kitchens not get their kitchens of in-house

I dont know to be honest.

I just know that Tierny are currently cheaper than In House

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

:mad:In the process of having a kitchen fitted by IDK on the long mile road. There are breaking my heart. Three times so far the haven't showed up to fit the kitchen. As soon as they got our money they turned into P%&*s.In fairness to the guy who was fitting the few parts of the kitchen we got he was dead on and does good work considering the sales guy got so many measurements wrong. They are the only people who have the units we want and counter but i could kill the guy were dealing with. Its a shame as its seems like a small company and there sales staff will kill them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 IDK Kitchens

:mad:In the process of having a kitchen fitted by IDK on the long mile road. There are breaking my heart. Three times so far the haven't showed up to fit the kitchen. As soon as they got our money they turned into P%&*s.In fairness to the guy who was fitting the few parts of the kitchen we got he was dead on and does good work considering the sales guy got so many measurements wrong. They are the only people who have the units we want and counter but i could kill the guy were dealing with. Its a shame as its seems like a small company and there sales staff will kill them.

Dear sir / madman
    I am writing to you as a matter of URGENCY re your quote as above.
    This is Marcus o neill owner of idk.
    I am very concerned with regard to your comments.
    1. we dont take the full money until ob is finished and customer is happy.
    2 . You say the job has not started but yet the fitter is a nice guy and has done work on the kitchen etc ..We dont hav anything on our records that match what you are suggesting...
    PLS CALL ME URGENT PLEASE .01 4299077 /01 4299077 /0868728208

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Please note - Marcus has been in touch with us here at Boards.ie and strongly refutes this statement. He has provided contact numbers and invites the member to get in touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

Dear sir / madman
    I am writing to you as a matter of URGENCY re your quote as above.
    This is Marcus o neill owner of idk.
    I am very concerned with regard to your comments.
    1. we dont take the full money until ob is finished and customer is happy.
    2 . You say the job has not started but yet the fitter is a nice guy and has done work on the kitchen etc ..We dont hav anything on our records that match what you are suggesting...
    PLS CALL ME URGENT PLEASE .01 4299077 /01 4299077 /0868728208

no messing there:D

I have since spoken to the member of your sales team who has assured me all will be finished soon and to our satisfaction. I will remove my post regarding your company as soon as this has been done .If Darragh wishes to see my receipt to confirm this is a genuine customer complaint I have no problem showing a copy to him.Again I would like to say that I had no problem with Marcus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have since spoken to the member of your sales team who has assured me all will be finished soon and to our satisfaction. I will remove my post regarding your company as soon as this has been done .If Darragh wishes to see my receipt to confirm this is a genuine customer complaint I have no problem showing a copy to him.Again I would like to say that I had no problem with Marcus
    Can I ask you guys to now deal with this issue by direct contact or Pm if you wish and when all is resolved you can post back here and let us know the outcome.

I dont want the thread running any further off topic.

Thanks

ye no prob.It was a rant from me in the first place and hopefully it will be done and dusted soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rwag

Hi, i know this thread is a bit old but i thought i'd add my thoughts :rolleyes:
    We got our kitchen from Frankly kitchens in portlaoise after much searching and debates. They had good value and unlike cash and carry they did 3d drawings which we were able to take away with us. They have great attention to detail and I love love love my new kitchen!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

chuck eastwood I have deleted your post as I asked you to deal with this matter privately.

The prices/costs forum is not where we want to see complaints made. You should direct all your complaints at the company concerned and certainly not here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement