Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Essays

Options
  • 28-04-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

How much does you teacher say you should write for your history essays? Ours says 4 pages, 8 paragraphs. We had a class test on how the anglo treaty helped cause the Irish Civil War and I only managed 2 and 3/4 pages lol!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

At least four is our average....that does include a considerable amount of waffle though get acquires no marks lol My issue with History is trying to remember everything in the exam, waffling & then mixing everything up....

SO much study needed & I just don't know where to start! :rolleyes:

Back to your question though, if you're not even getting three pages, then, there's other things that do need to be added in. Instead of just mentioning certain points, make sure you've fully explained each one, show off as much as possible to ensure you get the marks. Also give relevant background info and include a lengthy intro & ending that'll tie up your argument well.
    The essays shouldn't purely be all facts, your own opinion (not too personal/specific though) & point of view can come in to create a interesting argument about what you're discussing.
    Obviously it depends on the title, but, I find it good to weave in what I've taken from the topic.

Pretty much all my essays are 4 pages, and between 6-9 paragraphs. I have quite large handwriting though. For some people with smaller writing 3 pages would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

I'm pretty good at doing the essays, with the book :P
    When I have to remember everything it is a whole different ball game. I get Cs usually in class tests and A/Bs in homework essays.

Thankfully leaving cert isn't until next year

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Mau5

SO much study needed & I just don't know where to start! :rolleyes:

Im in the same boat... havnt a clue where to start,
    Teacher said he would give us clues to what he think will come up closer to graduation which is useless!

I havnt do any study for history as there is too much and ive no idea where to start. Anyone got any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

You can "selective study" for history in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

You can "selective study" for history in my opinion

Yeah you can... but I'm worried I'm leaving out TOO much :P

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Mazda

My teacher says at least 4 pages but it can be hard to get that out of an essay based purely on a case study so she recommends we avoid those! History is definitely the exam I'm dreading the most! Impossible to predict :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

8 paragraphs...1 being intro and 8 being conclusion.

Advertisement