Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lip/mouth sagged on dog???

Options
  • 28-04-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭

I have a golden lab, 8 years old, only in the last week ive noticed on one side of his mouth that the lip seems to have sagged and is now hanging down. he hasnt seemed to notice in the sense i dont think he has discomfort. only problem is now saliva leaks out from the side of his mouth and its getting everywhere. all over the floor/on peoples clothes etc.

is this simply the dog getting a bit older and everything "going south" as we humans say? or could it be a syptom of something more serious and need vet attention? no sign of swelling/infection and as said he seems to have no ill-effects from it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Perhaps he's had had a stroke? I would take him to the vet just to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

If you could post a picture that might help?

I think labs have naturally kinda saggy mouths right? being retrievers? And some of them drool a lot.

Did this just happen suddenly? I guess since he is 8 it was sudden, so it'd be best to ask the vet I guess, in case it was a stroke.

A girl I know has a Basset Hound and half of his face is saggier than the other half, but that's just how he is and always has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

if it was a stroke surely there'd be more obvious effects that just his mouth though. hes still as hyper as ever, wants to play all day, and no problems bringing him on very long walks.

best to be safe though i suppose. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Not necessarily. I had a RW who's had a stroke, the only visible sign was a slight slant of the head. The vets I've spoken to re strokes told me that the signs can be so subtle that they can easily be overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Any other signs ?
    Droopy eyelid ? Lack of facial sensation ? Changes to the eyes ?

• Advertisement

not that i can tell, its just the one side of his lip. im taking him to the vet in the morning just to be sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

It could also be a sore gum or tooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

df1985 wrote: »
    if it was a stroke surely there'd be more obvious effects that just his mouth though. hes still as hyper as ever, wants to play all day, and no problems bringing him on very long walks.

QUOTE]

My 13 year old GSD eventually died of a stroke, in hindsight we think she had a mild one about 3 weeks before she died. My Mam rang me while I was in work to say she was acting strange like she was staring into space and didn't know my Mam was there, by the time I came home from work she was back to her normal self and was the same for the next 3 weeks, 3 weeks later though she took a more severe stroke and could no longer stand, my Dad carried her into the back of his Jeep and drove her to the vet, the vet took on look at her and knew it was a stroke. Daisy was put to sleep there in the back of my Dad's Jeep:(
    Anyway when we describe what had happen 3 weeks ealier the vet confirm that she more than likely took a smaller stroke but not enough damaged was done to make her seem any different. Not trying to scare you but just giving you every possiblity

sorry i meant to update and completely forgot.

brought him to the vet and the vet did a full check up and scans on his head. turns out he has paralysed nerves on one side of his face. thankfully the vet said its not too serious, and after the scans it wasnt related to anything else. he put him on steroids/antibiotics and hes getting a lot better.

thanks for the advice everyone, gald i brought him to the vet.

Advertisement