Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

KERS for 2011

• 28-04-2010 10:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8650454.stm

Basically KERS looks like it will be implemented in 2011. Renault will supply most of the teams and Ferrari will supply those with a Ferrari engine. Williams want to use their own Flywheel system. Power output to go up to 800 Kilojoules per lap up from 400.

Personally I believe that there needs to be a limit set on the amount of times you can use KERS in a race, say every 5 laps of race distance allows KERS to be used once so a 50 lap race 10 time, 60 laps 12 etc. Otherwise if you are trying to overtake someone surely they just have to use KERS the same time you do and the system is rendered useless. Your opinions please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Ah not again.

On the tyres note, hope they go for Avon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Avon seems to be much cheaper and I don't forsee Bernie wanting the hassle of a tyre war where tyre X works well at Monza and then has a shocker at Suzuka while tyre Y works the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

KERS power output should be unlimited. Wasn't Renaults kers one of the worst systems? If it goes ahead i presume McLaren will use theirs. Actually does McLaren own it or Merc!

Williams yoke will never work in a F1 car they will need an even longer wheelbase to put the flywheel as low as possible.

Hopefully they don't go for Michelin and use a single supplier, but if their going to pay for tyres, why not pay Bridgestone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I guess if they can make kers smaller and more efficient then it might be worth another go. The trouble with it the first time seemed to be that for the extra weight it wasn't worth much extra lap time and it cost too much. If they double its power output then maybe it will be more interesting.

Don't think it should be limited to a few times per race, should be as before with a certain limit each lap, as I think a car should be consistent from one lap to the next. Don't want fasted laptimes of a race determined just by when the drivers are able to push a button, sould have it each lap or not at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Its in the rule book for this season but all the teams got together and agreed that nobody would use it. I think either all the teams should have it or none of them. Its a bit unfair to a car following a KERS equipped car or vice versa.

I think that's the plan for 2011 either everyone agrees to use it or no one will.
    That's why Renault and Ferrari are willing to supply is so cheap, they want it and need all the others to agree to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Its already quite an efficent system. Although their is a small weight penalty the issue now is of physical space in the car now with the cars having much bigger fuel tanks.

they can probably increase the wheelbase a bit more ;)
    gplimo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

They should probably just add KERS back but limit it in the style of IndyCar's overtake assist, Champ Car's Power to Pass or A1GP's PowerBoost.

That way drivers have to be strategic when using it so that they don't waste one of their limited shots at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Yeah but for a push to pass system you dont need KERS, just allow the engines to develop say 800 horsepower instead of the current 750, but still keep the base power at 750 and the ECU can sort the extra 50! :)

Advertisement