Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swords club league race 3 Bog of the ring

• 28-04-2010 10:39pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well done to the animal that is Paul Kennedy on another sprint win.

Amazed at Shaungil's ability to talk and issue instructions in the last 1k.

Shocked at Beasty's "moo moo" look.

And for all but 6 riders in group 2 I'd like to dedicate the following

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I claim to be one of those 6 - NB it's officially Mumu (I am the Beasty, after all!). I have something else lined up for next week;)

The course was relatively flat, which suited me. It was supposed to be 3 x 10km laps, but just before the start we were informed it would be 4 laps, 40km in total.

This week we had a much larger group - about 18 compared to around 8 last week. The first group had a 5 minute start, and we had 3 minutes over the third group.

So what were my tactics? When it was 3 laps, the plan was to try and stay around and, if we were not caught, attack if I had anything left with about 2 km to go, when we moved from a head-wind into a side-wind. The fact it was increased to 4 laps didn't change what I wanted to do. I felt that my best chance would be to try and power away. If another couple of riders could join me, all the better, as we could share the workload

We set off at a decent pace, but as mentioned by Robfowl only a few of us were doing the work. The first 2 laps passed without incident. We caught the first group at the end of the 3rd lap. Our own group had reduced to perhaps a dozen or so at that stage.

Then the 3rd group caught us about 2km into the final lap, so now a change of plan was called for. Sit in, and see what happens. At this stage I felt quite comfortable, but the pace was starting to pick up, and I ended up stranded a few metres back at the end of a bit of a drag. I pushed hard to get back on, but couldn't quite make it, and sat up.

I had a bit of a reprieve when the 4th group and scratch caught me. I hung onto them for a minute or so, but couldn't keep up the pace. There was a bit of a head-wind, and I suspect I was starting to pay for the earlier work. I also didn't fancy getting stuck in the middle of a bunch that had getting on for 40 riders in it, as they were quickly catching the group that had dropped me (I'll leave that until I'm a bit more experienced). I therefore sat up again and trundled in a minute or so behind the group.

Stats for the race:
    Distance 39.99km
    Time 1h 7m 48s
    Average speed - 35.4 kph (max 49.2 kph)
    Average HR 169 - the highest I have recorded for this length of ride (max 181)
    Power
    Average -252w (272w pedalling, 288w normalised)
    Max - 889w (PB)
    5s - 802w (PB)
    10s - 728w (PB)
    30s - 459w
    1m - 376w
    10m - 305w
    30m - 260w
    1hr - 255w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

good hard race for me and a nice workout (what the league is for)
    Group 4 for me Glenamaddy hared off with some others straight from go. I had promised someone to try and not do as much work to see how I'd feel when scratch caught us but half a lap in I got bored. Plenty of hard riding but not very organised. We dropped most of group so were down to 6 and two of there were attacking so made it interesting to say the least. Reasonably fair workload bar one total scrubber who did nopt go to the front once the entire race but never got dropped but then was nowhere in the sprint:mad:.
    Gleanamaddy was bored so he waited for scratch I pushed on and scratch caught us with a lap and a half to go. Sat on worked up v big group by the end (great handicapping Joe) really thought that if the earlier groups had worked better they could have stayed away.
    worked up group too slowly and tried to gt Staro to do a leadout but wasn't close enough so got in for tenth or so. Very easy week last week so obviously the rest did me no harm. Really enjoyable race. Maybe next time work harder to get near the front for a sprint and see if I can place. Just need to be a bit more aggressive and clever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Staro

Good hard fast race most enjoyable. There was a bonus as I didnt puncture.

On a more serious note some really dodgy riders out there tonight, all over the road only glad that there were no crashes.

This has to be one of my favourate courses so it was good to see that the potholes were filled in.

There were a large numbers out tonight so well done to all the organisers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Beasty wrote: »
    I claim to be one of those 6 - NB it's officially Mumu (I am the Beasty, after all!). I have something else lined up for next week;)

The course was relatively flat, which suited me. It was supposed to be 3 x 10km laps, but just before the start we were informed it would be 4 laps, 40km in total.

This week we had a much larger group - about 18 compared to around 8 last week. The first group had a 5 minute start, and we had 3 minutes over the third group.

So what were my tactics? When it was 3 laps, the plan was to try and stay around and, if we were not caught, attack if I had anything left with about 2 km to go, when we moved from a head-wind into a side-wind. The fact it was increased to 4 laps didn't change what I wanted to do. I felt that my best chance would be to try and power away. If another couple of riders could join me, all the better, as we could share the workload

We set off at a decent pace, but as mentioned by Robfowl only a few of us were doing the work. The first 2 laps passed without incident. We caught the first group at the end of the 3rd lap. Our own group had reduced to perhaps a dozen or so at that stage.

Then the 3rd group caught us about 2km into the final lap, so now a change of plan was called for. Sit in, and see what happens. At this stage I felt quite comfortable, but the pace was starting to pick up, and I ended up stranded a few metres back at the end of a bit of a drag. I pushed hard to get back on, but couldn't quite make it, and sat up.

I had a bit of a reprieve when the 4th group and scratch caught me. I hung onto them for a minute or so, but couldn't keep up the pace. There was a bit of a head-wind, and I suspect I was starting to pay for the earlier work. I also didn't fancy getting stuck in the middle of a bunch that had getting on for 40 riders in it, as they were quickly catching the group that had dropped me (I'll leave that until I'm a bit more experienced). I therefore sat up again and trundled in a minute or so behind the group.

Stats for the race:
    Distance 39.99km
    Time 1h 7m 48s
    Average speed - 35.4 kph (max 49.2 kph)
    Average HR 169 - the highest I have recorded for this length of ride (max 181)
    Power
    Average -252w (272w pedalling, 288w normalised)
    Max - 889w (PB)
    5s - 802w (PB)
    10s - 728w (PB)
    30s - 459w
    1m - 376w
    10m - 305w
    30m - 260w
    1hr - 255w

Good report Beasty! I got boxed in on the last lap and couldn’t make my way up the group ( not brave enough on those narrow roads).

My best race result since joining swordscc! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

That was a blast, fairly good roads, good handicaps, well marshallled and perfect weather.

Spent most of the race with the scratch group, and I was suprised to find that they too have their share of sandbaggers, so it really is possible for other groups to stay away if they work together.

Obviously, the speed was very fast with an average speed of 42km/h (most of this should be attributed to Colm Laverty's power stints). I did a few stints of my own just to test the water, but there were one or two riders who just sat at the back for the entire race.

I saw a few nutters sprinting for very minor places around a blind corner at the finish, but for what? Now that we have race numbers, there is the potential to implement penalty points for dangerous riding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Spent most of the race with the scratch group, and I was suprised to find that they too have their share of sandbaggers
    I saw a few nutters sprinting for very minor places around a blind corner at the finish, but for what? Now that we have race numbers, there is the potential to implement penalty points for dangerous riding.
    Staro wrote: »
    On a more serious note some really dodgy riders out there tonight, all over the road only glad that there were no crashes.
    shaungil wrote: »
    Reasonably fair workload bar one total scrubber who did nopt go to the front once the entire race but never got dropped but then was nowhere in the sprint:mad:.

Name and shame ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

@ Beasty request noted and dedicate this to your ride last night ;)

To be fair I can't name and shame a scrubber I just abuse them in the race. If someone doesn't want to do work that's their perogative but cannot understand why they go out as it's just a league and a place to learn and try things and get in a goos workout. No offense to former winners Raam and Staro intended:)

I will be speaking to a guy that I know is a total newby who sat up fully and may have even hit his brakes near the front of the final sprint. Will give him benefit of the doubt as it's his first season and he probably panicked.

Shaungil: have many others moved up to group 4?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No offense to former winners Raam and Staro intended:)

Ahem !
    24518_331288077182_568292182_3586074_4953627_n.jpg

PS Biker_Joe's won it so many times he should have been awarded the trophy out right.....

• Advertisement

And just to prove it
    112347.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Have a bit of a mild bug but I thought I’d see how I’d go and if I was feeling weak I’d stop. I was in Group 3, a big group but with only a few working and when there's only a few working you know you're going to struggle to keep away or even catch group 2 (if they're working together). It also knackers out those doing all the work. My aim was to keep in the 1st third of the group and see if I can hang on and if possible do my turn. Half way around the first lap I my lungs were in bits and my legs were screaming. It’s mainly the yo-yoing of speed that hurts but not as much as the concertina effect on corners. I managed to keep in there and when scratch caught us in the last leg of the last lap the bunch got very big on a narrow road and I wasn’t experienced enough to make my way through it so I hung around at the back of the bunch and did my own little victory sprint for the line. Still delighted with myself for hanging in there and doing my bit (at times) at the front. Next week back to Garristown and those damn potholes.

Speed, distance, yada, yada, yada: still no computer.
    HR Stats: Duration 1:10 (inc 7ish mins recovery time)
    Cals: 1269
    Max HR 176
    Avg HR 163

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Next week back to Garristown and those damn potholes.

The living legend that is Jim Callaly has got Meath county council to fill them in.
    He was also responsible for the ones on last nights course getting filled in on time.

Next week back to Garristown and those damn potholes.

Corduff, I heard?

Garristown on the SCC website...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

.. Corduff the following week - should be interesting if it's the course posted by Raam on Mapmyride, as there are a couple of sets of temporary* traffic lights on the course (the old N1 past Blakes Cross)

* I say temporary, but they have been there for a couple of months and are showing no signs of moving

.. Corduff the following week - should be interesting if it's the course posted by Raam on Mapmyride, as there are a couple of sets of temporary* traffic lights on the course (the old N1 past Blakes Cross)

* I say temporary, but they have been there for a couple of months and are showing no signs of moving

There's a diversion which we used in the club champs last year which is going to be used AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

absolutely hate that stretch of road its an unbelievable bone shaker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Race next wednesdy is Garristown. If there is a change, it will be announced on the webpage and facebook page..

Raam,

Group changes from what I can see. Robbie Steve from group 2 to 3. Glenn group 2 to 4.
    Me 3 to 4, Paul and Paddy 3 to scratch. Groups much bigger and a lot of new faces in all groups including soem good riders from UCD Stamullen Engravit.
    For last nights course on the flat I found as easy as last year and 6 of us broke away out of the corner before the long straight on bog of the ring. 2 lads let a gap go and they came back with scratch. Lots of scrubbers in all groups whether a ploy or just dying I don't know.
    You'll be fine in group 4 and I think with Paddy and Paul gone to scratch the speed on the flat is similar to last year. Haven't gone up a hill with group 4 yet so will see how that pans out.

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    Ahem !24518_331288077182_568292182_3586074_4953627_n.jpg

PS Biker_Joe's won it so many times he should have been awarded the trophy out right.....

Apologies......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Swords CC 'Bog of the Ring' 40k. First race of the year - oh my God!
    Spoke with Andreas about the race and was persuaded to go for it. All my cycling this year is aimed at completing the Land's End to John O'Groats cycle in July (1500k over 7 days), so no speed work done. This was originally supposed to be a 3 lap (30k) race but was changed to 4 laps. Anyway, I was put in group 3 which was extremely ambitious handicapping and I was lost out the back during the first lap. I debated it but in the end I decided to take it as training and keep going solo, essentially time-trialling it around the course. Unfortunately, when the fourth and scratch caught me, I was too tired to get much help. I hung on to the fourth for a bit but not very long and the scratch pretty much went by like a river goes round a rockl! I kept going anyway at decent speed but with no others around it was not anything like as fast as a group - and exhausting. I did speed up when the alsation came flying out of the farmyard near the last corner, though! I had a while where I was trying to catch a guy but he managed to stay tantalisingly away for the rest of the race. I reckon that apart from those that actually gave up, I was last to finish. It's a bad sign when the marshalls are leaving the corners as you arrive! Finished - pretty much in every way - and then had to face the 29k cycle back home. It was good but would like to be in a group at least a bit longer next time. Great evening for it and was happy enough with the roads, much better than I remembered/ expected. Well done to the lads and organisers.
    Stats (from bike computer): Distance: 40.993, Time: 1:12:20, Max: 51.7k/h, Ave: 34k/h, Splits: 17m, 34:43m, 52:45m, 72:20m.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

First time racing ever for me so a real eye opener.
    Couldn't get over the pace and constant change of pace throughout the race.
    Tried to do my share but was struggling to stay with the group I was in.
    Hope to dig in and do a bit more work for the group in up-coming races.
    Enjoyed the race and would like to thank everyone responsible for the orginisation and marshalling of the event.

@Cadex
    Some dropped from Group 3 last week to Group 2 last night - have a word with the organisers next time - we can do with a bit more help (assuming you are prepared to do your bit;))

First time racing ever for me so a real eye opener.
    Couldn't get over the pace and constant change of pace throughout the race.
    Tried to do my share but was struggling to stay with the group I was in.
    Hope to dig in and do a bit more work for the group in up-coming races.
    Enjoyed the race and would like to thank everyone responsible for the orginisation and marshalling of the event.

You are not alone - there are a lot of us who are new to racing. Which group were you in?

It's worth checking this thread for some of our experiences last week on the Garristown course (which will also be used next week)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

@Beasty - ah yeah sure, if I can! I'm always prepared to do the work. I raced 3 or 4 times with Swords last year but not much luck. I think last night was the worst though for me, though. Group 2 looked pretty handy as it was....! I live and learn - I hope.

I was in group 2 which I was really impressed by the pace and also the consideration for all riders; shouts for holes, gravel etc.,
    When the faster group caught us though the speed was (to me) lightening quick. Felt really anxious when the big group squeezed up past rugby club and suppose the confidence comes with experience to follow others and learn how to stay with the group.
    Can't wait til next week!!

They weren't Rugby posts, they were GAA posts (Gaelic Football & Hurling - 2 Irish sports same posts). Easy mistake to make, Gaelic posts are less tall and sometime have goal netting in the lower half.

My mistake,. Saw the sign for Balrothery Rugby Club and just assumed that was the pitch.
    Spent some time working with a GAA club and would've loved to have played hurling. Bit old now to learn though I guess!!

• Advertisement

My mistake,. Saw the sign for Balrothery Rugby Club and just assumed that was the pitch.
    Spent some time working with a GAA club and would've loved to have played hurling. Bit old now to learn though I guess!!
    No you're right - we were caught by Group 3 at the Rugby Club - they were definitely Rugby posts!

Well it's actually Balbriggan Rugby club even though it's based in Balrothery. Two top class pitches in there that Skerries Rugby club used all season whenever there's were flooded (quite a lot).
    The Cricket club though based in Balrothery is North County not to be confused with Balbriggan cricket club which is based in the town behind the church.
    Boyne Rugby club is an amalgamtion of Drogheda Rugby club and Delvin rugby club. Delvin rugby club was based in Drogheda not Delvin.
    Hope that clears everyrhing up.

You forgot to mention The Hills

(actually no, better not;))

They weren't Rugby posts, they were GAA posts (Gaelic Football & Hurling - 2 Irish sports same posts). Easy mistake to make, Gaelic posts are less tall and sometime have goal netting in the lower half.

They were rugby posts all right. They are just after the cricket club on the Inch road.

So the Hills CC is based outside Skerries (in the Blackhills Beasty?). There was a proposal by a founder member of the club to change the name of the club to Skerries a few years back to try and gain more membership from the town but while it wasn't a formal proposal there was a groundswell of opposition do the idea was dropped.

Is it time to change forum yet?

Actually I think Swords CC should cahnge it's name to Swords/Fingal CC membership is Swords Skerries Balbrigan Lusk Rush area and not a race held near Swords.

Is Fingal Ravens now just Ravens?

So the Hills CC is based outside Skerries (in the Blackhills Beasty?). There was a proposal by a founder member of the club to change the name of the club to Skerries a few years back to try and gain more membership from the town but while it wasn't a formal proposal there was a groundswell of opposition do the idea was dropped.

Is it time to change forum yet?

Actually I think Swords CC should cahnge it's name to Swords/Fingal CC membership is Swords Skerries Balbrigan Lusk Rush area and not a race held near Swords.

Is Fingal Ravens now just Ravens?
    The Hills are actually in Milverton. The Blackhills are at Ardgillan which everyone knows is in Balbriggan;). Sporting Fingal, based in Santry, are also trying to acquire the "Ravens" nickname, giving the Sporting Fingal Ravens to add to the Fingal Ravens! (This is the price you pay for being a Mod in the Dublin County North Forum!)

• Advertisement

I like the name "Swords".
    Does anyone know why the town is so called?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

look at you lads with all the time to look around and take in all the local landmarks and scenery. I was unable to lift my head off the handlebars and saw nothing more than the wheel in front.

Raam wrote: »
    I like the name "Swords".
    Does anyone know why the town is so called?
    From wiki

"The town can trace its origins back to 560, having been founded by Saint Colmille (521-567). Legend has it that the saint blessed a local well, giving the town its name, Sord, meaning "clear" or "pure". However, An Sord also means "the water source" and could indicate a large communal drinking well that existed in antiquity"

Feck, I thought it was going to be something to do with an actual Sword.

old fingal joke. Why did Malahide? Cos Skerries Rushed Lusk with Swords.

It's how you tell 'em, try the veal I'm here all week.

• Advertisement

Well just goes to show. I thought swanky grounds like that were the privilege of the GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Nice to see a bit of on-the-bike stretching from whoever that is in eleventy millionth place.

1ew329.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

the youtube video is great but,jessus, the music sounds like something outta moonlighting or Colombo.

For the younger members of the audience Moonlighting was where Bruce Willis made his breakthrough not to mention Cybil Shephard..

The music is awesome.

For next weeks race I vote we use this music...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

got to 20secs of that and couldnt go any further. Where is the Thumbs down button!!

How about the music from McGyver. 80's tastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w-oDZSLUrY kind of looks like the start of a race anyway.

How about the music from McGyver. 80's tastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w-oDZSLUrY kind of looks like the start of a race anyway.

Has there ever been a better action series than MacGyver? I think not.

Raam wrote: »
    The music is awesome.

For next weeks race I vote we use this music...

Are you going to bother defending your title this season Raam, or have you been seconded into the role of Musical Director?

(It's nice being 4 points ahead of the defending champion, even if there are nearly 30 others on the same number of points as me:))

Are you going to bother defending your title this season Raam, or have you been seconded into the role of Musical Director?

(It's nice being 4 points ahead of the defending champion, even if there are nearly 30 others on the same number of points as me:))

I shall be back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement