Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cue Advice - Beginner

• 28-04-2010 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a beginner to the game of Snooker, having dabbled in it a small bit a few years ago, but have now decided to play it more with my Brother.

I'm just wondering about a cue for a beginner such as myself. I'll be honest, I don't have much to spend on one, and it would be used maybe twice a week for a couple of hours at a time.

I have spotted this one on the Argos website, and for the price, €33.99, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and opinions on it:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/0106447/Trail/searchtext%3ESNOOKER+CUE.htm

Unfortunately, Argos is the only store in my area that sells them, and the price of the above cue would be around the price that I can afford, not much I know, but hopefully sufficient for a recreational player such as myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Cues are a very subjective thing, i.e. You need to find your own unique one that suits you. I'd suggest starting with something like the one you've linked (although I prefer a 3 quarter way split two piece, just feels a bit more solid). As time passes you might want to get one made for €150+ that's better suited to your style.

One word of advice; If it comes with a tip already on it, get rid of it straight away as it will only hinder you. Bring it to your local snooker club where the local oul lad who runs the place should be able to do it for you (he'll use an elk or a white diamond, which are two of the best types). If you're south Dublin-based I know Mick in Monkstown snooker club will do it for a small fee. He's about the best around, and does Ken Doherty/Mick Judge various other's tips.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Or northside, drop in CrossGuns, he does the elk masters for €3.00.

The owner is also a registered coach with RIBSA so you can get a few lessons if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Hi all,

I'm a beginner to the game of Snooker, having dabbled in it a small bit a few years ago, but have now decided to play it more with my Brother.

I'm just wondering about a cue for a beginner such as myself. I'll be honest, I don't have much to spend on one, and it would be used maybe twice a week for a couple of hours at a time.

I have spotted this one on the Argos website, and for the price, €33.99, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and opinions on it:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/0106447/Trail/searchtext%3ESNOOKER+CUE.htm

Unfortunately, Argos is the only store in my area that sells them, and the price of the above cue would be around the price that I can afford, not much I know, but hopefully sufficient for a recreational player such as myself.

Have you looked around in any Snooker clubs/halls? Even travel somehwere if you have to. I think the best way to buy a cue is to get one cheap and one that you can inspect on site.

If you're getting it cheap you're gaining a good base to work with. Granted it might not be of the best quality but it's something to play around with as you're a recreational player. You'll have it for a while and it's relatively expendable as it's cheap. You might come to love it and then upgrade if you get better.

I'd be against buying it online unless it's cumstom made, I bought a very cheap one recently in my local snooker hall and I was able to test what weight I wanted (I'm kind of particular about that) along with colour etc.

My adice would be to get to a club/store, they'll help you out. :)

Advertisement