Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British Army

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Hugo Drax wrote: »
    I'm sure she'll consider it!:D

Did she fart or something (Nothing she can do about Charlie) , because I still don't understand what she did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Hugo Drax

getz wrote: »
    thats up to the irish,canada has a irish regiment, the british irish regiments go back as far as 1684. a very long tradition of irish men fighting in the british army,

So what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Did she fart or something (Nothing she can do about Charlie) , because I still don't understand what she did

Stop stirring!! :D

You know full well why Hugo was looking for an apology

gatecrash wrote: »
    Stop stirring!! :D

You know full well why Hugo was looking for an apology

Well I'm not holding my breath tbh.

Maybe she'll favour me with a knighthood instead or a lordship.

So what?

I'm not following you Hugo?? You asked why the BA has the Irish regiments, you've been given an answer.

Well I'm not holding my breath tbh.

Maybe she'll favour me with a knighthood instead or a lordship.

Now wouldn't that put you in a quandry.

makes you Lord of the Cotswolds or something with all the priveledges therein, including the big feck off house with groundstaff and annual salary of 5 million stg per annum!! :D

thats up to the irish,canada has a irish regiment, the british irish regiments go back as far as 1684. a very long tradition of irish men fighting in the british army,

The first Irish Guards regiment was in French colours, the present Irish Guards are a thank you for wiping out three Irish regiments in one afternoon in South Africa.

Full of bleeding scousers they do be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

So what?
    can you imagine the gurkha regiment without gurkhas ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Why do they even have Irish regiments??

Tradition?

Can't let go of us?

The Irish army doesn't have English regiments!!

Do you really not know the difference between England and Britain?

• Advertisement

gatecrash wrote: »
    Now wouldn't that put you in a quandry.

makes you Lord of the Cotswolds or something with all the priveledges therein, including the big feck off house with groundstaff and annual salary of 5 million stg per annum!! :D

No quandry for me, I'd accept! ;)

Do you really not know the difference between England and Britain?

Why don't you just have 1 name for your country.

Like we do.

Much less confusing!

Like we do.

Now you have opened a can of worms

Like we do.

Much less confusing!

I suppose we could call everything English, but the Scots and Welsh would probably get the hump. Just like the members of the Scottish, Irish and Welsh regiments would if it was called the English army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Like we do.

Much less confusing!

Variety is the spice of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jasushaw

1.u want to join a army who has destroyed most cultures and snaked its way around the world robbing everyones land,havin no respect for anything,blowing up women an children,buyin turn coats

2.money and a career is not everything,look wat the brits are doin in the east at the min,you may thing ur doin good because on the news and politistals say bull**** an how brave an all tha ****,look at our own country if u know ur stuff,i am not talkin about the brief bull**** they teach in school

3.educate ur self 100 percent about wat the brit miltary are really about,i am not talkin about info sites and words from pro british,i am talkin about pure facts,tim pat coogan writes great books.jus the truth not a spin

4.dont belive everything u hear

5.think outside the box of ****e which is media an general thing,

6.ignorance is calling the welsh scots an irish british,britain is bull****,its england,who are saxons,the welsh and scotish and irish are celtic an native people,the saxons came from germany an france,ask most irish scots or welsh if there british an see wat they say,

7.dont comment unless ur know ur history

8.have some pride in the countless people who dyed for this country,

9.all this i am writing is prob a waste of time because most people are sheep,and listen to wat is said in common media,like people who agreed to vote yes to lisbon because they said eh yeah we get jobs an eh yeah its better for ireland,bull****,most people havent a clue an listen to the man on tv.as soon as the lisbon treaty was passed everyone forgot about it complety because it was out of papers an tv,out of sight out of mind,its bull****e,we voted no an mr europe said hav another go there lads u got that wrote,we have no say,

ireland have a 2 per cent vote in europe,meaning if germany or another large country in europe decided that irish have to feed cheese or something(jus using a mad sample:) )if we all voted no a hundred per cent of the country we would have no choice,

ireland long a province be a nation once again

or

ireland long a nation be a province once again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

jasushaw wrote: »
    9.all this i am writing is prob a waste of time

Dead right there mate. I want the last 5 minutes of my life back reading that drivel.:p

Fcuk me...Gerry Ryan is dead. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I hate people using the saying that all "people are sheep!!!"

I'am sure if peoples opinions on this issue were recorded, the views on such a matter would be pretty much split half way,making me wonder what sheep to follow and which ones not to follow!

And Donegal had a majority no vote to Lisbon,the only county in the country,what does that make us?! *No sheep jokes please* :p

Btw,money and Career arent everything,but they are pretty damn important,I mean just last week I tried to pay off my loan with my patriotism and the Bank wouldent listen to me!!!!

I couldent care if some person I never met joined the BA, it has no bearing on what I do in my life so why should I care tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

1.u want to join a army who has destroyed most cultures and snaked its way around the world robbing everyones land,havin no respect for anything,blowing up women an children,buyin turn coats

2.money and a career is not everything,look wat the brits are doin in the east at the min,you may thing ur doin good because on the news and politistals say bull**** an how brave an all tha ****,look at our own country if u know ur stuff,i am not talkin about the brief bull**** they teach in school

3.educate ur self 100 percent about wat the brit miltary are really about,i am not talkin about info sites and words from pro british,i am talkin about pure facts,tim pat coogan writes great books.jus the truth not a spin

6.ignorance is calling the welsh scots an irish british,britain is bull****,its england,who are saxons,the welsh and scotish and irish are celtic an native people,the saxons came from germany an france,ask most irish scots or welsh if there british an see wat they say,

9.all this i am writing is prob a waste of time because most people are sheep,and listen to wat is said in common media,like people who agreed to vote yes to lisbon because they said eh yeah we get jobs an eh yeah its better for ireland,bull****,most people havent a clue an listen to the man on tv.as soon as the lisbon treaty was passed everyone forgot about it complety because it was out of papers an tv,out of sight out of mind,its bull****e,we voted no an mr europe said hav another go there lads u got that wrote,we have no say,

ireland have a 2 per cent vote in europe,meaning if germany or another large country in europe decided that irish have to feed cheese or something(jus using a mad sample:) )if we all voted no a hundred per cent of the country we would have no choice,

or

I want to ignore this, but my urge to correct some of this crap is rising to the bait.

Celts eh? So we're all celtic in race? My surname is Frankish in origin, personally, and I don't really display much by way of prominent celtic genetic features. Also, you do understand that the Celts are originally a central European people, right? Who came and conquered territory within the British isles and settled, like the Vikings, and like the Normans? So was that okay? Or is it merely a historical fact and not worth moralising over? In which case, surely the Norman invasion of 1169 and subsequent premiership of Henry II should also be considered the same?

Your point 7 is about the best thing you said, and you really should have taken it to heart yourself.

You'd also do well to make a go of understanding at least the rudiments of the way the European Union works. This reads like the ranting of an angry twelve year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Jesus Christ, you tell us not to read the 'common media', yet you spout such rubbish!!

Brilliant first post.

I wonder if we will see a second?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Brilliant first post.

I wonder if we will see a second?:rolleyes:

I doubt it! My thinking is that may just be either another poster disguising himself or else a once off. Either way that was some of the most illiterate and incoherent arguement I have ever read :mad:

Personally I have no problems whatsoever with people going to join the BA. It's not just the Irish, they have a lot of Fijians, South Africans, Jamaicans, Gurkhas (Nepal). I've been looking into it myself and a few generations of my family served in WW2 and in the 70's/80's (Though they were all Welsh by definition not Irish!).

The only thing I would say is that the economic reasons behind joining are a bit of a stretch. Joining an army, particularly a wartime one, is a serious business with the risk of death or losing limbs etc. Ultimately it's a lifestyle choice even in peacetime, it ain't just another 9-5. By all means join up but if you're doing it solely/maily becuase you're bored of collecting the dole then you need to rethink your motivation!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MightySausage

I went through the whole process to get into Sandhurst. Managed to fail the final exam but have one more chance to pass it.

If you are going to join the BA I would highly recommend going in as an Officer. You will have excellent career prospects even if you only finish after the first 3year contract. Sandhurst on your CV is gold dust. My trips over to UK for visits and tests were fantastic. Other potential officers look at you as one of them as long as you act sensible and confident.

My downfall in my exam were a few poor decisions by being overwhelmed. In my team I had one regular soldier, three territorials and one other civvy. They say everyone has the same chance but when you go you do really have to try harder as the regular and TA guys have the advantage.

All in all I highly recommend it, I'm still thinking about when I should attempt again. After I failed I left to go around Oz for awhile to get my head together as it took me a year to get to that point. Now I have to make a decision to get in since I'm 28 this year and almost out of the age bracket.

Go and apply, get all the tests and exams done and get your ticket to Sandhurst. You can delay your entrance for 8 years (or so) or until you're 29. So if you're 23 now you've got a few years to go traveling and so on before you decide to continue on with your career. You can always say no but at least you will have the choice.

Best of luck to anyone joining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

or

This is quite literally the ugliest post I have ever read. No capitilisation, no full-stops, I am generally not a grammar nazi, but this is just too terrible. If you want to make a point, make it coherently, don't just spout some meaningless drivel.

You come across as a 14 year old with not even a basic knowledge of the things you write about.

I have no problem if you have a dislike of the British, I know alot of people see reason in it while I wouldn't really agree most of the time though I deplore past actions. But it is your perogative to dislike them, but at least dislike them for proper reasons and not this unreadable garbage.

Also, in the middle of a post about not joining the British Army why would you go on about lisbon, or the EU at all? Seriously, your post is crap, the worst thing I have ever read and I am worse off for reading and replying to it.

I will apologise for my criticism of your posts grammatical and spelling errors if it so happens that Irish is your first and mainly used language though I doubt it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask :(

But can anyone give me some info on the British Army.

- if i wanted to join I can go up north and join right?
    - training is a few months right? ... and you live on barracks? but a person has the option of quitting before the 3 month mark, right?
    - and the shortest term is 4 years?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

15453826.jpg

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask :(

But can anyone give me some info on the British Army.

- if i wanted to join I can go up north and join right?
    - training is a few months right? ... and you live on barracks? but a person has the option of quitting before the 3 month mark, right?

Yes you can go up north to join.
    If I remember correctly training is around 26 weeks for most BA capbadges. Some longer though. I think you have to stay 4 weeks and after that you can leave all you want up to the time you are actually passing out.
    The shortest term may depend on your unit. I am not 100% sure on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

LighterGuy wrote: »

I was talking to a former british soldier who told me there was a minimum term of 3 years which can be extended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Thanks guys,
    anyone know of an Recrument centre I could ring up?
    I tried to ring a few in the north. They never pick up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Don't qoute me but I think there's one in Enniskillen and one in Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I think theres one in Portadown as well. Im planning on going up to portadown by train as theres no train to Enniskillen.

In any case i think theres a list on the British army website of the recruitment centres.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

I went through the whole process to get into Sandhurst. Managed to fail the final exam but have one more chance to pass it.

If you are going to join the BA I would highly recommend going in as an Officer. You will have excellent career prospects even if you only finish after the first 3year contract. Sandhurst on your CV is gold dust. My trips over to UK for visits and tests were fantastic. Other potential officers look at you as one of them as long as you act sensible and confident.

My downfall in my exam were a few poor decisions by being overwhelmed. In my team I had one regular soldier, three territorials and one other civvy. They say everyone has the same chance but when you go you do really have to try harder as the regular and TA guys have the advantage.

All in all I highly recommend it, I'm still thinking about when I should attempt again. After I failed I left to go around Oz for awhile to get my head together as it took me a year to get to that point. Now I have to make a decision to get in since I'm 28 this year and almost out of the age bracket.

Go and apply, get all the tests and exams done and get your ticket to Sandhurst. You can delay your entrance for 8 years (or so) or until you're 29. So if you're 23 now you've got a few years to go traveling and so on before you decide to continue on with your career. You can always say no but at least you will have the choice.

Best of luck to anyone joining.

I'm sure with the experience you have from your earlier attempt you'll do fine this time around :)

Just out of curiosity, and I know it was pre-Mainboard so you probably weren't fully decided, but what regiments were you thinking of joining?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Jesus guys I'm not anti-British or anything but it's a sad state of affairs when we're discussing joining the British Army or PSNI. :mad:
    I understand people gotta do what they gotta do but it really shows how messed up our economy really is when our own citizens have to leave/serve another Country.

Thankfully I have a job but if I didn't I could see myself doing the same as you guys/gals. A friend of mine is Graduating this year and already has a job lined up in the states. He said he would love to stay and contribute to this Country but there's no work here.

It's really comical that as taxpayers we're paying for our 3rd level students to emigrate and beneifit other nations. We must be the laughing stock of the world, "Hey do see Ireland they're educating our Doctors, Civil Engineers, Pharmacists etc......and guess what they teach them at the taxpayers expense!"

A Primetime show a few months back said it cost the Taxpayer €140 Million to train all the Graduating medical students in '09. Of that Group not one got a job in our health service because of the recruitment freeze yet they had no difficulty getting positions in the UK, USA, Australia et.....

Sorry If I've dragged on abit guys but I'm seriously Pi**ed with the state of affairs in this Country. Whatever happened to the "Fighting Irish" spirit???:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

join the Irish army and you'll probably never fire a shot in anger

you might get a couple of tours for a few months abroad peace keeping in your career

join the BA and your certain to see real action very quickly,for some people thats the attraction to see the world and test themselves in ways most people couldn't imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MightySausage

Royal Irish Reg, Royal Signals and Royal Engineers were my choices. Career wise the signals or engineers are your best bet. For full on 16 Air Assault, jungle fighting madness then Royal Irish is your pick.
    piby wrote: »
    I'm sure with the experience you have from your earlier attempt you'll do fine this time around :)

Just out of curiosity, and I know it was pre-Mainboard so you probably weren't fully decided, but what regiments were you thinking of joining?

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Jesus guys I'm not anti-British or anything but it's a sad state of affairs when we're discussing joining the British Army or PSNI. :mad:
    I understand people gotta do what they gotta do but it really shows how messed up our economy really is when our own citizens have to leave/serve another Country. (

Whatever about other places, but Irish lads have been consistantly joining the BA, RN and RAF for as long as there has been Ireland, it's nothing really to do with the economy, though that may give some the necessary push, it's not what is actually causing people to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Fair point Minidazzler, there were people traveling to join the BA prior to this recession, all it has done is make people focus overseas in general for employment and career options including other Countries Armys, Navys and Airforces. It just so happens that Britian is directly next door so to speak and so much more accessable in particular to Irish applicants.

it's nothing really to do with the economy, though that may give some the necessary push, it's not what is actually causing people to go.

I find that really hard to believe minidazzler. I understand that good times and Bad people have joined the British Army but the amount joining these days signifies a serious problem with the state of this country. Honestly given the choice people would rather serve the PDF than BA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

...Honestly given the choice people would rather serve the PDF than BA.

i think you are right to the extent that people would rather serve in the PDF if it did anything interesting, but the perception is that it doesn't - that its a peacetime army that goes on piss-ups abroad and does cash runs at home.

i would suggest that its confluence of factors which makes people decide to join the BA - the lack of recruitment into the PDF, the idea that even if you get you'll spend your life sat on your arrse working on outdated and irrelevent equipment in a 9 till 4 culture with 40 year old privates, and that you'll never be a 'serious' soldier.

whether that is true or not is irrelevent, that's the perception.

Defence ministers asking for assurances that Irish troops on PeaceKeeping missions will be 'safe', and stonking great payouts for poor ickle soldiers who hurt their ears when the big nasty guns went bang didn't help either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

I find that really hard to believe minidazzler. I understand that good times and Bad people have joined the British Army but the amount joining these days signifies a serious problem with the state of this country. Honestly given the choice people would rather serve the PDF than BA.
    Their's probably more fellas from Ireland going grape picking in France for the summer than guys from the 26 counties joining any branch of the Brits. And those from the six counties are practically all unionists - fancy signing a few rebels songs on St Paddy's day with them boys !!! I remember when the Brits were saying how their was such a large increase in fellas form the south joining. And so when they were asked to put actual figures to that, they, errrrr, emmmm, couldn't - not unsurprisingly of course. So what's large numbers - 10, 20, 22 ?

As I said before, I doubt if one in 50 who post one here ever actually join any wing of the Brits. And just remember, Bunreacht na hEireann requires every Irishperson to give their first allegiance to the Irish state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    Their's probably more fellas from Ireland going grape picking in France for the summer than guys from the 26 counties joining any branch of the Brits. And those from the six counties are practically all unionists - fancy signing a few rebels songs on St Paddy's day with them boys !!! I remember when the Brits were saying how their was such a large increase in fellas form the south joining. And so when they were asked to put actual figures to that, they, errrrr, emmmm, couldn't - not unsurprisingly of course. So what's large numbers - 10, 20, 22 ?

As I said before, I doubt if one in 50 who post one here ever actually join any wing of the Brits. And just remember, Bunreacht na hEireann requires every Irishperson to give their first allegiance to the Irish state.
    are you saying no irishman/woman should work and live in britain,because it helps the british state to prosper ?i would not think so, the the old anglo/saxon enemy is now your biggest trading partner and friend,unless you think its the germans

Bunreacht na hEireann requires every Irishperson to give their first allegiance to the Irish state.

Can you me to where this is in the constitution? All I know of is Article 9, Paragraph 2:
    Fidelity to the nation and loyalty to the State are fundamental political duties of all citizens.

If that's what you're referring to, it's not as clear cut as you say. There's no legal consensus on that paragraph and quite a few different interpretations.

are you saying no irishman/woman should work and live in britain,because it helps the british state to prosper ?i would not think so, the the old anglo/saxon enemy is now your biggest trading partner and friend,unless you think its the germans
    Doing an honest day's work as a civie in a foreign country is one thing.

Joining the Brits to go off Afghanistan or Iraq to kill Johnnie Foreigner or to get themselves killed by American pilots or the Taliban is quite another.

Donny5 wrote: »
    Can you me to where this is in the constitution? All I know of is Article 9, Paragraph 2:
    Fidelity to the nation and loyalty to the State are fundamental political duties of all citizens.

If that's what you're referring to, it's not as clear cut as you say. There's no legal consensus on that paragraph and quite a few different interpretations.
    Well it's obviously clear but I'm not going to try to baby step you through it.

Good man. Maybe it's obviously clear to you, but it's not clear to the country's legislators or courts. They are undefined in Irish constitutional law, and the Supreme Court, in McGimpsey v Ireland (1990), only said that:
    Such fidelity and loyalty do not prohibit or restrict disagreement with the content of the Constitution nor with the actions of the government.

Article 9, Paragraph 6 is not defined or enacted in any legislation, and it does not prohibit citizens from taking oaths or accepting other allegiances. It's certainly not grounds for removal of citizenship.

Anyway, good luck with your opinions, and don't worry about facts or sourcing your claims. Good Irish men and women don't need such trappings, eh?

Doing an honest day's work as a civie in a foreign country is one thing.

Joining the Brits to go off Afghanistan or Iraq to kill Johnnie Foreigner or to get themselves killed by American pilots or the Taliban is quite another.

Well, I highly doubt anyone joins to get killed TBH.

In other words....*sob* shut up, I don't know where it is OK, I just thought it should say it is all. *Sob*

Does it bother you that people have the choice to join the British army? Does it bother you that some make that choice? Does it in any way affect your life when a young Irish lad joins up and does well in a foreign army rather than staying at home on the dole?

• Advertisement

seconds out.........Round 2!!

Bunreacht na hEireann requires every Irishperson to give their first allegiance to the Irish state.

The same Bunreacht Na hEireann that really doesn't care what it citizens do. Seriously guys do you think they give a toss about you or I. They'd much rather we all emigrate, die or join the British army. Anything that doesn't involve claiming the dole. I'm afraid to even look at how much this Government borrows each week from the World Bank to stay "Afloat"
    Sure didn't Fas get into trouble recently for forcing chaps in Limerick to join the Royal Irish Guards??? Isn't that an offence under the 1954 Government act????

The same Bunreacht Na hEireann that really doesn't care what it citizens do. Seriously guys do you think they give a toss about you or I. They'd much rather we all emigrate, die or join the British army. Anything that doesn't involve claiming the dole. I'm afraid to even look at how much this Government borrows each week from the World Bank to stay "Afloat"
    Sure didn't Fas get into trouble recently for forcing chaps in Limerick to join the Royal Irish Guards??? Isn't that an offence under the 1954 Government act????

Bunreacht na hEireann is the constitution, not the government.

Bunreacht na hEireann is the constitution, not the government.

Yes I know. The same constitution that every corrupt Government has followed since the foundation of the state. To be honest independance hasn't exactly changed much. Other than our false Celtic Tiger 95-07, this country is always broke. Without British investment/Trade we'd be even worse off, if that's even possible at this stage.:(
    The government wants to line their pockets and the more people that leave the better. I'd guarantee that unemployment is over 500,000 only for high emigration again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

t into trouble recently for forcing chaps in Limerick to join the Royal Irish Guards??? Isn't that an offence under the 1954 Government act????

While illegal under the 1954 Act, sending a letter outlining a job opportunity is no way the same as rounding people up and shipping them north.

• Advertisement
Advertisement