Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British Army

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

steppen wrote: »
    Is this also for Doctors who go in as officers, I'll be 29 before I can join (need three years Exp in Ireland, dont think my work abroad counts)

Your work abroad may count! Didn't the DF try recruiting overseas at one stage for doctors?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭rockagusroll

discus wrote: »
    DON'T YOU ROLL YOUR EYES AT ME :pac: Nope, nothing yet. Gives me time to research my role etc!

Yea same here, was talking to him after it but he still hasn't given me any dates, he was off last week though so hopefully hear something this week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Markom5a

Hey lads I'm really interested in joining the BA through the cadet programme but iv a few q's before I do that some of ye might have an answer too.

1. When is the cadet competition on and where do I go? (couldn't really find it out on the BA website)

2. Do they look for the same qualitys as the Irish army?(presume so just checking)

3. What does the selection process entail? (again checked the website but its slightly unclear)

And finally What sort of pay can I expect?

Thanks a million in advance for any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Markom5a wrote: »
    Hey lads I'm really interested in joining the BA through the cadet programme but iv a few q's before I do that some of ye might have an answer too.

1. When is the cadet competition on and where do I go? (couldn't really find it out on the BA website)

2. Do they look for the same qualitys as the Irish army?(presume so just checking)

3. What does the selection process entail? (again checked the website but its slightly unclear)

And finally What sort of pay can I expect?

Thanks a million in advance for any help.

Sir , my first and foremost advice to you is to make contact with an ACIO in the north. One of the things they WILL like to see is good spelling, BTW. ;=)

The subject of joining the British Army as an other rank as well as an officer has been slaughtered on this site - do a search and have a look at the many responses.

Good luck.

tac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Markom5a

thanks tac ill do that now.

as for the spelling im slightly dyslexic so theres not much i can do :)

Markom5a wrote: »
    thanks tac ill do that now.

as for the spelling im slightly dyslexic so theres not much i can do :)

Ah, right, no offence intended there, I assure you. Still, my advice holds good - you can't know what's expected of you until you talk to a recruiter - none of whom operate on this forum.

Many Irishmen become greatly valued members of the British Army - the largest infantry regiment of all is the Royal Irish Regiment, with many native-Irish officers. I was an other rank and an officer, as well as 75% Irish - but whether or not I was valued was a moot point on occasions.

Don't forget the RAF either. Paddy Finucane, a WW2 fighter ace and a hero of my childhood and as Irish as the Blarney Stone. Who needs a Biggles when you have a real Paddy called Paddy?

tac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

tac foley wrote: »

Don't forget the RAF either. Paddy Finucane, a WW2 fighter ace and a hero of my childhood and as Irish as the Blarney Stone. Who needs a Biggles when you have a real Paddy called Paddy?

tac

I think you will find out his name was Brendan Éamon FitzPatrick Finucane

I think you will find out his name was Brendan Éamon FitzPatrick Finucane

Sir - I know his given name, but his biographer and all who knew him called him Paddy - this is the blurb from his biography...

'The story of Wing Commander Brendan (‘Paddy’) Finucane, (DSO, DFC and bar), is an amazing story of an Irishman who became one of the most decorated Spitfire Ace’s during the Battle of Britain. With the highest number of ‘kills’ (32), Finucane was the youngest Wing Commander in the RAF all before his 22nd birthday. Paddy was both the leader of his Squadron, and an inspirational leader to his pilots and ground crew. With his Shamrock crested Spitfire emblazoned with his initials, Paddy achieved one of the highest kill rates in RAF history.
    Paddy was born in Dublin on the 16th day of October 1920, the first child of Thomas and Florence Finucane. He was followed shortly by a brother, Ray, another brother Kevin, and then two sisters, Monica and Claire. He became an all around sportsman, excelling at Rugby, Football, Boxing and Rowing. His family immigrated to Richmond, Surrey England in November of 1936. Having always dreamed about flying through the heavens, Paddy joined the RAF in August 1938 and was posted to 65 Squadron at Hornchurch on July 13th, 1940. In late April 1941 he was posted to 452 Squadron as Flight Commander. In January 1942 Finucane was given command of 602 Squadron. He was then appointed Wing Commander flying out of Hornchurch on June 27th, 1942.
    During the Battle of Britain, Finucane destroyed his first Bf l09 on August 12th, 1940, getting a second a day later. As his victory tally rose, the word of his heroics spread throughout England. On April 15, 1941, Paddy crossed paths with one of Germany’s highest decorated pilot’s in history, Oberstleutnant Adolf Galland. Commanding JG 26, Galland decided to join a birthday celebration for General Theo Osterkamp and personally deliver some lobsters and oysters for his party. Galland's crew chief placed the goods in Galland's new Bf 109F fighter just before takeoff. Galland's flight plan would take himself and his wingman, from Brest to Le Touquet, France, the site of the party, but en-route to Le Touquet, Galland decided that a detour to England was in order. His hunter instinct paid off near Dover, as they both surprised a large flight of Spitfires on maneuvers. Paddy Finucane was leading that group of Spitfires. Galland’s instincts proved deadly as he managed to down three Spitfire Mk. IIs. As Galland flew through the formation, Paddy rolled out from above and targeted Galland. The hunter became the hunted and Finucane riddled Galland’s aircraft with shells. Galland bailed out of his flaming Bf-109 near the coast of France. He was rescued hours later. Suffice it to say, Galland never made it to Osterkamp’s party as Paddy claimed Galland as a victory!
    Said Finucane, “I shoot to hit the machine, not the lad in it; at least I hold him no grudge, but I have to let him have it. See him first before he sees you, hit him when you fire as you might not have a second chance”.
    The only time Paddy was wounded in combat came on February of 1942. Paddy went out over Dunkirk in a daylight sweep with his squadron. After an hour of dodging and dog fighting in the clouds over the French coast, a German gunner put a shell through the cockpit of the Flying Shamrock. A sharp piece of shattered plate ripped Paddy’s thigh from knee to hip. As he put it later, “ The cockpit was awash with blood. It was not until I was feeling a bit sick and dizzy did it dawn on me that it was my blood!”…“Good Dublin blood should not be wasted!”…“How I even managed to land without a crack-up will never be known, luck of the Irish triumphed that day if ever!”…Five weeks later and mended, the British headlines read, “Finucane Flies Again!” Model airplanes of his Spitfire with the vivid green Shamrocks were sold all along Piccadilly Circus and The Strand. Small boys robbed their Mother’s purses in haste in order to own one! These were treasured reminders that the greatest flying Ace was again winging his way across the murky channel to protect England. Even the German pilots were aware as word spread to, “Get Finucane of the Shamrock!”
    After attacking German shipping at Ostend and strafing three German airfields on July 15th, 1942, Finucane’s wing regrouped to return to Hornchurch. As the group passed low-level over the beach at Pointe Du Touquet, Finucane’s Spitfire was hit by machine gun fire that severely damaged his radiator. The engine overheated and quit, and the Spitfire was too low to allow Finucane to bail out. Losing altitude swiftly, Paddy was heard to say; “This is it, Chaps” He crashed into the sea, and despite all efforts, was never to be seen again. At the time of his death, Wing Commander Finucane’s score stood at an amazing 32 victories.'

See what I mean?

MY name, nowhere near as famous or as illustrious as his, is also Irish, and I was very proud to be called Paddy when I was at school and later, when I joined the Army. And Pádraig is not even the first of my three Irish forenames. I have to say in my defence, and since you began the nit-picking, that 'who the fug' doesn't sound very Irish to me. I could be wrong tho'.

Lighten up, fer gosh sakes.

tac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Out of interest to the guys who have gone for fitness tests etc, what was the usual time between applying for the fitness test and then doing it? Also when doing interviews and the various tests, did ye have to behave like ye were actually in the army with using "sir" etc, I wouldn't have a clue how to behave durign fitness tests etc.

• Advertisement

Sir - I know his given name, but his biographer and all who knew him called him Paddy - this is the blurb from his biography...

MY name, nowhere near as famous or as illustrious as his, is also Irish, and I was very proud to be called Paddy when I was at school and later, when I joined the Army. And Pádraig is not even the first of my three Irish forenames. I have to say in my defence, and since you began the nit-picking, that 'who the fug' doesn't sound very Irish to me. I could be wrong tho'.

Lighten up, fer gosh sakes.

tac

I just wanted it made clear that Paddy was a nickname.

I just wanted it made clear that Paddy was a nickname.

Yes, I think that with a readership made up of 99.9% Irishmen we get your point. Very few people are actually christened 'Paddy'.

Hey, what do you do for fun? Pour boiling mercury in your eyes?

tac

Yes, I think that with a readership made up of 99.9% Irishmen we get your point. Very few people are actually christened 'Paddy'.

Hey, what do you do for fun? Pour boiling mercury in your eyes?

tac

Have you seen the price of mercury?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭rockagusroll

siblers wrote: »
    Out of interest to the guys who have gone for fitness tests etc, what was the usual time between applying for the fitness test and then doing it? Also when doing interviews and the various tests, did ye have to behave like ye were actually in the army with using "sir" etc, I wouldn't have a clue how to behave durign fitness tests etc.

After your first interview/BARB test, you'll be given a medical questionnaire form to get filled out by your doctor. Once that is cleared on both sides (can take anywhere from a week to a couple months for some) and your fitness is up to scratch, you'll be given a date to attend pre adsc. Pass that and its onto the full ADSC. My recruiter told me to call him by his first name and just behave well and be respectable for the interviews and other times you're in the recruitment office. At the pre adsc/adsc you've to behave more ''army'' like and call them by their rank or if you're not sure then ''sir''.
    Have you started your application?

After your first interview/BARB test, you'll be given a medical questionnaire form to get filled out by your doctor. Once that is cleared on both sides (can take anywhere from a week to a couple months for some) and your fitness is up to scratch, you'll be given a date to attend pre adsc. Pass that and its onto the full ADSC. My recruiter told me to call him by his first name and just behave well and be respectable for the interviews and other times you're in the recruitment office. At the pre adsc/adsc you've to behave more ''army'' like and call them by their rank or if you're not sure then ''sir''.
    Have you started your application?

I was gonna sign up but then I unexpectedly got an offer to go to college in UCC, so now I'm not really sure what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kinza

If you have an offer for college theres no harm in giving it a try siblers. If it doesn't work out you can always try and join up then. Or if you stick out the 3-4 years and get the degree there will always be the chance to head to Sandhurst when you finish or still go down the enlisted route. I'm just basing this on the fact your probably around 18 if your heading to college? I could be wrong.

This is just my opinion because going to college was one of the best things I ever did and Im glad I got the degree, I wanted to enlist in the Irish army when I finished school but my parents convinced me to get the degree and if I still wanted to give it a try afterwards I was still young enough. I just got unlucky and finished college when the recruitment freeze came in so now my only way in is to get a cadetship seeing as I'm too old for enlistment now. I tried this year but I didn't get to the interview so I'l be trying again next year.

Its up to yourself but if your still young enough then both options are still there.

• Advertisement

Kinza wrote: »
    If you have an offer for college theres no harm in giving it a try siblers. If it doesn't work out you can always try and join up then. Or if you stick out the 3-4 years and get the degree there will always be the chance to head to Sandhurst when you finish or still go down the enlisted route. I'm just basing this on the fact your probably around 18 if your heading to college? I could be wrong.

This is just my opinion because going to college was one of the best things I ever did and Im glad I got the degree, I wanted to enlist in the Irish army when I finished school but my parents convinced me to get the degree and if I still wanted to give it a try afterwards I was still young enough. I just got unlucky and finished college when the recruitment freeze came in so now my only way in is to get a cadetship seeing as I'm too old for enlistment now. I tried this year but I didn't get to the interview so I'l be trying again next year.

Its up to yourself but if your still young enough then both options are still there.

Sound advice, I'm currently 24 but a lot fitter and mature now compared to me when I was like 18/19, I guess because the BA recruits up to the age 31 (I think) for infantry then I still have time, it's just I could end up enlisting but wouldn't be shipped to Afghanistan as it would be too late. As daft as that may sound. My course is only 2 years anyways so I can always do one year and then maybe see how things are in May and consider signing up then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I did my BARB test and job skills test and now have to get a medical form signed by my doctor.

I was also told that i'd need to get a letter or certificate from the Gardai stating i've no convictions etc. Is this something i can get from my local Garda station or is it something i'll need to apply for?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 groundshaker

Go down your local Garda station, or if you know any Guards personally, get them to fill it in. Shouldn't be an issue

Sorry, your recruiter should have given you a specific form to be filled in as regards convictions. I think it's the character reference form, but am not sure, memory isn't particulary good

He did have me sign a form that allowed for a background check by scotland yard i think, but he said i needed to get one myself from the gards as well.

If i can get it from my local garda station though that shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Tried google to find info and came across this about a police certificate-

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/law_enforcement/police_certificate.html

Perhaps its this i need.

• Advertisement

Maybe that could be it. Anyway I never had to get any form like that, what careers office are you applying to anyway?

Portadown. I was just up there for my BARB and job skills test a couple of days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

How long did your application process take? How long do you think it will take for your clearence to go through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭SamuelFox

Don't try and join the British Army - if you are not promotable to major by age thirty, you ain't. And YOU don't go looking for promotion - you ARE promoted. Sure, you can turn it down, but it's not something that you apply for.

As an officer in the BA, the usual turn of events goes like this -

Mind you, a chat to one of the real experts in the nearest ACIO might show that all that is total garbage. I did all this a loooong time ago - the hard way, by being a ranker first.

tac
    At 24 before trying for Sandhurst you would already be too old and at least two years behind the drag curve by comparison with your peers. You seem to have missed entirely that there are things that you have to do and experiences that you have to go through to earn that promotion. It doesn't appear in the morning cornflakes. The only 'time and promotion' is your birthday date - if you haven't been promoted - for whatever reason - you are no longer of any use to us. Remember that you are there to serve, not to be served.

Please feel free to check - something that I have already advised.

In any case, the BA takes a decidedly dim view of anybody joining in the fun and games late just to be a Captain for a couple of years and then b*gger off. In their view [and mine, since I was in a position of writing Annual Confidential Reports on officers], you'd be taking up valuable space for somebody who DID want to progress.

My input into this thread has now ended.

Just to comment on tac Foleys post if I may – this stuff was probably spot on a few years ago but the Army has changed a lot in the last number of years and some of your info is slightly off now.

Firstly the age thing – the average age at RMAS is now 23-25. OCdts tend to spend longer in college and also do a gap year so elderly cadets are more common. The AToS that you may have been familiar with have been changed to LToS (based on length of service from commissioning and including any seniority given for service in the ranks or University education). This means that getting a majority by 30 is no longer the norm, although it’s still very common. 31-32 is probably more like it with 38-40 for half colonel. The appointment examples you gave are a bit off – depending on how good you are perceived to be there are a lot more appointments available at Capt rank (specialist platoon and regimental level appointments, or staff posts in brigades) and you can generally expect to hold 3 appointments in that rank.

Also, most Majors will only get one command appointment, the rest being desk jobs, and not all Lt Cols will get a regimental command as there is again just not enough to go around!

In terms of junior officer development the practice of sending all young officers to teeth arm units is no longer the practice, except for the Int Corps. (I didn’t actually realise it was the practice in the past either!) All other officers do special to arm training straight after RMAS and then take a troop in their own Corps. Obviously too only Infantry officers do PCD which is now in Brecon. It was probably still in Warminster in your time. If non teeth officers wish to do the course they can volunteer, but AFAIK the All arms course was scrapped. The pace of operations mean now that even though infantry skills are badly needed in CS and CSS units the time isn’t there to let guys away. Similarly with the number of courses done as Lt – in practice once your unit is warned for Ops only the most vital ones are done, you are too busy to do the non – essential ones. However it won’t stop the Adjt or 2 i/c catching you for some pointless activities!

In terms of length of service a lot of guys are leaving before reaching Major – lots find that the pace of Ops is too heavy to have a life at all. If you have a missus or sprogs they won’t enjoy the lifestyle as it stands. There is no shame in doing 5/6 years and heading off, lots do it. In fairness the system is designed for that – no serious military wants a huge rump of unpromotable majors.

The best advice is to talk to Col West in Belfast. Good guy, contact details are on the net somewhere. If you want to ask general questions ask them on ARRSE. It’s full of people who are up to date on stuff and if someone makes a mistake there are plenty other posters to set you right. Thankfully free of armchair republicans too!
    the largest infantry regiment of all is the Royal Irish Regiment, with many native-Irish officers.
    Not any more I’m afraid – with the disbandment of the Home Service Battalions and the creation through mergers of the large regiments R IRISH is now the smallest infantry regiment. Still plenty Irish there from both North and South though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 eannamor

Hey guys, tac might be able to help me with this as he was a ranker to begin with but any knowledgeable input is desired... I am 22 will soon be an NCO in the irish reserves. Am I too old to be an enlisted infantryman in the RIR? And to make a career of it? From what tac has said about the commissioned side of the army it seems very cut throat, and understandably so. Are the enlisted ranks similar? I can only hope that some of my military experience will make me more capable and so a safer investment for the BA, hence making up for my age?

eannamor wrote: »
    Hey guys, tac might be able to help me with this as he was a ranker to begin with but any knowledgeable input is desired... I am 22 will soon be an NCO in the irish reserves. Am I too old to be an enlisted infantryman in the RIR? And to make a career of it? From what tac has said about the commissioned side of the army it seems very cut throat, and understandably so. Are the enlisted ranks similar? I can only hope that some of my military experience will make me more capable and so a safer investment for the BA, hence making up for my age?

Sir - you are not too old to apply to join the British Army and the RIR is a great choice for any Irishman to make, although there are a good few there who have never been near Ireland before!

The maximum engagement as an OR - Other Rank - 22 years, but of course you do not need to 'sign on' for that as a recruit. The Army Careers Information Office up the way will tell you all about that, and will happlily send you a pack-up of what is needed as far as YOU are concerned, to be attended to prior to your initial interview.

Commissioning from the ranks is getting more common these days - after all, it happened to me, and although I was a Warrant Officer 1st Class at the time, I had been promoted from WO2 for only ten days when I was commissioned.

May I wish you, and any others thinking of taking this giant step, the very best of luck. It will not be easy, that I can promise, and the basic training is pretty hard much of the time, the rest of the time it is plain near impossible. The end-result, however, is as much down to you as it is to those who train you.

tac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Tac out of curiosity which life do you prefer? That of an officer or a soldier, hardest choice going through my head right now, would be great to hear from someone who's experienced both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

RMD wrote: »
    Tac out of curiosity which life do you prefer? That of an officer or a soldier, hardest choice going through my head right now, would be great to hear from someone who's experienced both.

i'm not Tac, and i only got to L/Cpl - but i prefer being an Officer - in my view it's (and i know people have different perspectives on this) more challenging because its more varied - and the challenge/difficulty thing is why i wanted a commission in the first place.

thats not to suggest that non-commissioned service is easy or boring - but i personally get satisfaction from the variation in my duties, the more bizaarely differing the better, as well as the responsibility of command. its exciting, frightening, exhilerating, daunting and humbling all at the same time - and having to exercise that responsibility through the many different mediums of Army life is what i find so rewarding.

others, of course, just think i'm a control freak...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

Just to point out I am not in the military but am joining.

The thing I think about the soldier vs officer career path is the social aspects and career direction. You can't really be "one of the lads", its like being in University without the social life, constantly pushed to do work and hardcore training, being responsible for peoples lives, a lot of people can't handle it. If you go the enlisted route you could work your way up to a Sergeant, of which will probably get a lot more respect than a Lieutenant although they might outrank them. You could also be destined for paper/office work later on in the officer career.

I could go the officer route but I'm going the enlisted route as I've never been all caught up with being an officer but more a soldier, I know officers do soldiering but the two paths are very different. I'm not in this for the long haul more for a stint in the military, and going for the experience more so than the money/career-progression.

This is just my opinion on it...

Edit: Oh forgot to mention the whole pay and living conditions, not to mention the better survival rate with going the officer route

Ye the points you've made are basically the biggest pros / cons going through my head. Pay and living conditions isn't really in my agenda, as long as I have a bed and food I'm happy to be honest.

I like the idea of Officer because as OS pointed out it's more challenging, varied and the responsibility of command is there. While on the other hand it doesn't offer the same level of soldiering / "craic with the lads" aspect. I could be wrong here though. What I've seen people mention before as well is the "I could have been an officer" mentality of a soldier who ends up not liking OR life, that's the last thing I'd want to feel after going through all the training.

OS, what's life like the in the Officers Mess? I know when you described it before it sound kind of formal and over the top, but what's day to day life like in there and how do people generally get on, close and friendly or just see each other as colleagues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

Best of luck to everyone whatever path you choooooooose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

RMD wrote: »

...OS, what's life like the in the Officers Mess? I know when you described it before it sound kind of formal and over the top, but what's day to day life like in there and how do people generally get on, close and friendly or just see each other as colleagues?

its what you make it - if you choose an arm/corps/regiment that has a mess culture (HCav, Infantry etc...) then you will take part in that culture, it will be the foundation of your day-to-day life, and how you make friends and participate in that culture will play a big part in how employable you are within the regiment. other regiments/corps/arms will have a slightly different attitude - and of course it changes with rank: as a Lt you will take part, as a living out Captain or Major you will be a bit more detatched.

some messes are a marginally more grown up version of a very expensive drinking club at St Andrews university, some are little more than a travel inn.

as for the opportunity for 'real soldiering' - don't worry about that, i promise you that it won't be a problem...

In response to eannamor. 22 is certainly not to young to join the BA. there are reguarly recruits around 25 and 26, I even know two who are 30 and are in training now. Don't just tie yourself down to joing the RIR, the Irish Guards are a great regiment aswell. Heading to Afgan in 2013 aswell. Plenty of southern micks in it aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

effluent wrote: »
    Edit: Oh forgot to mention the whole pay and living conditions, not to mention the better survival rate with going the officer route

Officers suffer a higher casualty rate in battle (at least in the more junior rates, such as platoon leaders and company commanders) since they have to lead, exposing themselves to danger. Check out the casualty rates in high-intensity conflicts like WW2, Korea, Vietnam etc.

Edit: The following is from a study on US military casualties in Iraq between 2003 and 2006:
    In the Army, enlisted men have 40% higher mortality than officers; in the Marines, the differential is 36%. The excess mortality of enlisted men is diminished by the high mortality of the lowest-ranking officers, Lieutenants, who are typically the leaders of combat patrols. Army Lieutenants have the highest mortality of any rank in the Army, 19% higher mortality than all Army troops combined. Marine Lieutenants have 11% higher mortality than all Marines. But the single highest mortality group in any service consists of Lance Corporals in the Marines, whose death risk is 3.3 times that of all troops in Iraq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

A quarter of the British army / administration in India about 100 / 120 years ago was Irish. We have a proud history.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭A.Tomas

gigino wrote: »
    A quarter of the British army / administration in India about 100 / 120 years ago was Irish. .

We have a shameful history. Good thing only a few now join up. There will be more prison spaces available, they won't draw the dole and of course they seem to keep it a secret.:D

A.Tomas wrote: »
    We have a shameful history. Good thing only a few now join up. There will be more prison spaces available, they won't draw the dole and of course they seem to keep it a secret.:D

Ya we'll probably need the prison spaces for your republican buddies instead.

Ya we'll probably need the prison spaces for your republican buddies instead.

Ooooh a bit touchy.

Sure, live in you're deluded world where everyone in Ireland who dislikes the British army is a terrorist, but I'm sure if you proudly display you're one of her majesty's finest most people would have probably preferred if you were in the RIRA. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭delta-boy

Ignorant comments from the poster above me obviously no nothing of what the British Armed Forces is today and that the armchair republicans and their fellows alike are a dying breed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Ooooh a bit touchy.

Sure, live in you're deluded world where everyone in Ireland who dislikes the British army is a terrorist, but I'm sure if you proudly display you're one of her majesty's finest most people would have probably preferred if you were in the RIRA. LOL

I think its deluded you cliam to speak for most people in the above.

Far to much suffering has been caused in Ireland over the assumption their views are shared by most people.

I have met many a British Soldier proud of their service. Can you say that about any current RIRA members?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Zambia wrote: »
    Can you say that about any current RIRA members?

Seeing as a fair few are psychopathic drug dealers, sure why not.

I think its deluded you cliam to speak for most people in the above.

Far to much suffering has been caused in Ireland over the assumption their views are shared by most people.

I have met many a British Soldier proud of their service. Can you say that about any current RIRA members?

Sorry to burst your bubbles. Not that this is genuinely news to any of ye, but most people, myself included, think the RIRA and the British army are two cheeks of the same ass. Both think their big men with their guns and
    "military training" up against civilians and farmers whether in the North or Afghanistan.

So much suffering has been caused by skinheads looking for adventures by the British army in Ireland and the world. (You may have read about it.)

And I have no doubt that there are neandarthal RIRA "men" proud of their service like your friend, maybe they should meet up and talk about their "wars for democracy/freedom/pension".

So good luck trying the Rambo stuff, don't expect the freedom of Dublin will ya. :)

Sorry to burst your bubbles. Not that this is genuinely news to any of ye, but most people, myself included, think the RIRA and the British army are two cheeks of the same ass. Both think their big men with their guns and
    "military training" up against civilians and farmers whether in the North or Afghanistan.

I'll agree with you entirely that the British army didn't handle NI as they should have and there was plenty of scumbags in it but to say it's the same group in the same situation in Afghanistan I'd consider absurd. I'm not going to get into the politics of Afghanistan (Oil pipeline, War on Islam, War on terror etc) but would you rather the coalition forces simply left and let a group of Islamo-Fascists rule the country who have a track record for brutality, oppression and human rights abuses. Take a read of the Taliban's charter and then realise who you want in control. The fact that only 30-40% of the Talibans members are actually Afghani is somewhat of a testament to their support.

So much suffering has been caused by skinheads looking for adventures by the British army in Ireland and the world. (You may have read about it.)

And I have no doubt that there are neandarthal RIRA "men" proud of their service like your friend, maybe they should meet up and talk about their "wars for democracy/freedom/pension".

So good luck trying the Rambo stuff, don't expect the freedom of Dublin will ya. :)

The rambo stuff comment indicates you have very little knowledge of what the military actually do.

The use of the word "most" indicates you did not even comprehend the post you quoted as you have no proof of that general opinion either.

If your going to argue this what is your position are you Pro RIRA or what?

Because if your just another sheep on here bleating "British army Baaaaaaad" believe me its been said before and no poster has ever changed their mind on applying because of it.

The rambo stuff comment indicates you have very little knowledge of what the military actually do.

The use of the word "most" indicates you did not even comprehend the post you quoted as you have no proof of that general opinion either.

If your going to argue this what is your position are you Pro RIRA or what?

Because if your just another sheep on here bleating "British army Baaaaaaad" believe me its been said before and no poster has ever changed their mind on applying because of it.

You don't seem to know much about the military either, you just know about the British army.:D

As I mentioned already, branding someone as pro-RIRA (obviously I'm not) is just the same laughable defence mechanism you people use to justify your mercenary status.

They can apply all they want, doubt they'll be getting a welcome home parade.

Irish joining the British army is almost like women in the past going over to Britain to get an abortion, not talked about in public, no matter how "heroic" they are.:)

• Advertisement

I doubt people are looking for a "heroic return to a welcome home parade", I'll be happy if I can return to my home after a service in the BA without the dissidents trying to blow me up, that's the most I'd expect and hope for. Wouldn't be surprised if most agreed as well.

You don't seem to know much about the military either, you just know about the British army.:D
    Ok well if you know so much what would you say are the main draw factors of recruits to the army?
    As I mentioned already, branding someone as pro-RIRA (obviously I'm not) is just the same laughable defence mechanism you people use to justify your mercenary status.
    Us people charming I never branded you Pro RIRA I asked you what your position was. I have never heard any of the serving british soldiers on here say they needed a defence. They have broken no law or done anything wrong.

They can apply all they want, doubt they'll be getting a welcome home parade.
    Why would Ireland give a welcome home parade to a another army of any nation? You really are pulling this stuff out of your rear end.
    Irish joining the British army is almost like women in the past going over to Britain to get an abortion, not talked about in public, no matter how "heroic" they are.:)
    See now your just trolling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Us people charming

No, no, you have the response wrong.

It's

What_Do_You_Mean_You_People_by_EncasedxInxPorcelain.jpg

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Shane.C

No, no, you have the response wrong.

It's

What_Do_You_Mean_You_People_by_EncasedxInxPorcelain.jpg

NTM

Gotta love Robert Downey Jr. :cool:

Anyways, i'm 19, loved the fascinating life that the Military can provide since i was 10 or so. My uncle would tell me stories of his career in the PDF since i was 14 or 15.

If anyone can help me out by telling me the exact standards of the fitness levels required for the British Army? As of course the PDF, with it's current situation cannot help to curb any Irishmen's(or lady for that matter) enthusiasm towards joining their respective Military.

The arguments on the subject always go way too far, but people have a right to voice opinion. Anyways, any help on the fitness question above would be great.:) I'm a Mayo man and don't drink, a first?;)

Don't get me wrong I always welcome an informed opinion.

Oh and
    http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20153.aspx

• Advertisement
Advertisement