Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Army

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

piby wrote: »
    ...The PDF's limit is set at 25 for example...

Just a slight correction but the age limit for officer entry in the PDF is also 28, 25 is for general service.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭oglaigh

RMD wrote: »
    I'm probably going to get in trouble for this, who knows maybe even banned.

But would you ever just **** off and stay away from any topic about the BA unless you've something helpful to post? Every topic I see even relating to the BA in the slightest way you post in just to make snide remarks about the BA and in every case I've seen, it's been of no help to anyone.

Yes, we get it, your anti-BA, well done, now please piss off unless you're going to post something helpful.

x2 well said.
    I've made a similar comment recently. The military section seems to be becomming a hangout for bigots who jump at any chance to bitch/moan/insult the british. Its getting really tiresome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

RMD wrote: »
    I'm probably going to get in trouble for this, who knows maybe even banned.

But would you ever just **** off and stay away from any topic about the BA unless you've something helpful to post? Every topic I see even relating to the BA in the slightest way you post in just to make snide remarks about the BA and in every case I've seen, it's been of no help to anyone.

Yes, we get it, your anti-BA, well done, now please piss off unless you're going to post something helpful.

RMD, I agree with your sentiments, but it's better to report the post.

I've been suspended from the forum here for posting similar comments about lads who think that the BA are all evil and the IRA are all heroes etc, the mods tend to take a dim view of us taking pot shots at each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

MediumWell wrote: »
    Just a slight correction but the age limit for officer entry in the PDF is also 28, 25 is for general service.

Really? I stand corrected so!! I don't know where I got that number from? For some reason it's always been at the back of my head as 25 although maybe as you point out I got this from general service requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

I was hoping someone here could help me with a question i have.

I filled out an overseas enquiry for on the BA's website and got an e-mail back informing me of some available positions in the BA. It does say that an applicant has to have accomadation in the UK as one of the conditions. Does this include applicants from Ireland though?

Another City fan interested in joining the British Armed Forces!

I'm thinking about either the RAF or the British Army.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭rockagusroll

What job are you wanting to do? As far as i know, waiting times to get into the RAF can take up to a few years although if its what you really wanted then it'll be worth the wait!

What job are you wanting to do? As far as i know, waiting times to get into the RAF can take up to a few years although if its what you really wanted then it'll be worth the wait!

Engineer Officer in the RAF would probably be my first choice, although some of the others sound interesting too. Have to do a bit of reading on the RAF & BA websites.

Best of luck making your decision! I'm hoping to join the engineers too but as a soldier. Have pre adsc tomorrow in Belfast so hoping for a good grade!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

AFAIK, the RAF require you to have been living in the UK for a certain number of years before you can apply.

Best of luck making your decision! I'm hoping to join the engineers too but as a soldier. Have pre adsc tomorrow in Belfast so hoping for a good grade!
    Good luck!
    AFAIK, the RAF require you to have been living in the UK for a certain number of years before you can apply.
    There are some restrictions alright http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/canijoin/nationalityandresidency.cfm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

gatecrash wrote: »
    RMD, I agree with your sentiments, but it's better to report the post.

Correct. I can't speak for the other mods, but I am not reading this thread.

As regards Patsy's comment, I gave him a warning on the 'Prolific Killer' thread that one more infraction would result in a vacation from military. However, in checking the dates and times of the posts, he made the post in this thread before I issued my warning.

The ball is in his court.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

I wouldnt but each to their own...

How would you be able to do it anyway? as in do you need to apply for british citizenship? and whats the deal with the us marines? im guessing you need to be a citizen...

also why does the Irish army not allow recruits with treated vision(lazer surgery) but other forces like the marines will actually pay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

jugger0 wrote: »
    I wouldnt but each to their own...

How would you be able to do it anyway? as in do you need to apply for british citizenship?
    For most jobs in the British Defence Forces, Irish citizenship is fine (The British are allowed recruit Irish citizens but they're not allowed advertise over here). Certain sensitive jobs like Intelligence or Submarine work require British or dual citizenship whereas ones in the RAF require residency in the UK for a certain amount of years, in addition to Irish/British/Commonwealth citizenship.
    and whats the deal with the us marines? im guessing you need to be a citizen...
    US Citizenship is one, or you need a Green Card (Permanent Work Visa). Irish citizens get no special exemptions like we do in the British army.
    On that note, there's a very good book called The Green Marine, the memoirs of an Irishman who joins the USMC on a Green Card and who serves in Iraq.
    also why does the Irish army not allow recruits with treated vision(lazer surgery) but other forces like the marines will actually pay for it?
    I have no idea why they're still like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

MediumWell wrote: »

Is this also for Doctors who go in as officers, I'll be 29 before I can join (need three years Exp in Ireland, dont think my work abroad counts)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Cadets must be UNDER 28 on 01/11/2010 ie if you're 28 now, you're too old.

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    Good luck!

Cheers! Passed it anyways, ran a 10.02 which shocked me! Just waiting on a date for proper adsc now :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

steppen wrote: »
    Is this also for Doctors who go in as officers, I'll be 29 before I can join (need three years Exp in Ireland, dont think my work abroad counts)

I believe that Direct Entry candidates do not fall under the same age restrictions as Cadets. Contact the Competitions section for more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Cheers! Passed it anyways, ran a 10.02 which shocked me!

What was shocking about it? The guy who beat you was a dub - and sure isn't the the proper order of things?! :cool::D

discus wrote: »
    What was shocking about it? The guy who beat you was a dub - and sure isn't the the proper order of things?! :cool::D

Haha gwan outa that! :rolleyes: I'm guessing i know who ya are so! You get your date for ADSC yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

DON'T YOU ROLL YOUR EYES AT ME :pac: Nope, nothing yet. Gives me time to research my role etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

steppen wrote: »

Your work abroad may count! Didn't the DF try recruiting overseas at one stage for doctors?

discus wrote: »
    DON'T YOU ROLL YOUR EYES AT ME :pac: Nope, nothing yet. Gives me time to research my role etc!

Yea same here, was talking to him after it but he still hasn't given me any dates, he was off last week though so hopefully hear something this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Markom5a

Hey lads I'm really interested in joining the BA through the cadet programme but iv a few q's before I do that some of ye might have an answer too.

1. When is the cadet competition on and where do I go? (couldn't really find it out on the BA website)

2. Do they look for the same qualitys as the Irish army?(presume so just checking)

3. What does the selection process entail? (again checked the website but its slightly unclear)

And finally What sort of pay can I expect?

Thanks a million in advance for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Markom5a wrote: »
    Hey lads I'm really interested in joining the BA through the cadet programme but iv a few q's before I do that some of ye might have an answer too.

1. When is the cadet competition on and where do I go? (couldn't really find it out on the BA website)

2. Do they look for the same qualitys as the Irish army?(presume so just checking)

3. What does the selection process entail? (again checked the website but its slightly unclear)

And finally What sort of pay can I expect?

Thanks a million in advance for any help.

Sir , my first and foremost advice to you is to make contact with an ACIO in the north. One of the things they WILL like to see is good spelling, BTW. ;=)

The subject of joining the British Army as an other rank as well as an officer has been slaughtered on this site - do a search and have a look at the many responses.

Good luck.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Markom5a

thanks tac ill do that now.

as for the spelling im slightly dyslexic so theres not much i can do :)

Markom5a wrote: »
    thanks tac ill do that now.

as for the spelling im slightly dyslexic so theres not much i can do :)

Ah, right, no offence intended there, I assure you. Still, my advice holds good - you can't know what's expected of you until you talk to a recruiter - none of whom operate on this forum.

Many Irishmen become greatly valued members of the British Army - the largest infantry regiment of all is the Royal Irish Regiment, with many native-Irish officers. I was an other rank and an officer, as well as 75% Irish - but whether or not I was valued was a moot point on occasions.

Don't forget the RAF either. Paddy Finucane, a WW2 fighter ace and a hero of my childhood and as Irish as the Blarney Stone. Who needs a Biggles when you have a real Paddy called Paddy?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

tac foley wrote: »

Don't forget the RAF either. Paddy Finucane, a WW2 fighter ace and a hero of my childhood and as Irish as the Blarney Stone. Who needs a Biggles when you have a real Paddy called Paddy?

tac

I think you will find out his name was Brendan Éamon FitzPatrick Finucane

I think you will find out his name was Brendan Éamon FitzPatrick Finucane

Sir - I know his given name, but his biographer and all who knew him called him Paddy - this is the blurb from his biography...

'The story of Wing Commander Brendan (‘Paddy’) Finucane, (DSO, DFC and bar), is an amazing story of an Irishman who became one of the most decorated Spitfire Ace’s during the Battle of Britain. With the highest number of ‘kills’ (32), Finucane was the youngest Wing Commander in the RAF all before his 22nd birthday. Paddy was both the leader of his Squadron, and an inspirational leader to his pilots and ground crew. With his Shamrock crested Spitfire emblazoned with his initials, Paddy achieved one of the highest kill rates in RAF history.
    Paddy was born in Dublin on the 16th day of October 1920, the first child of Thomas and Florence Finucane. He was followed shortly by a brother, Ray, another brother Kevin, and then two sisters, Monica and Claire. He became an all around sportsman, excelling at Rugby, Football, Boxing and Rowing. His family immigrated to Richmond, Surrey England in November of 1936. Having always dreamed about flying through the heavens, Paddy joined the RAF in August 1938 and was posted to 65 Squadron at Hornchurch on July 13th, 1940. In late April 1941 he was posted to 452 Squadron as Flight Commander. In January 1942 Finucane was given command of 602 Squadron. He was then appointed Wing Commander flying out of Hornchurch on June 27th, 1942.
    During the Battle of Britain, Finucane destroyed his first Bf l09 on August 12th, 1940, getting a second a day later. As his victory tally rose, the word of his heroics spread throughout England. On April 15, 1941, Paddy crossed paths with one of Germany’s highest decorated pilot’s in history, Oberstleutnant Adolf Galland. Commanding JG 26, Galland decided to join a birthday celebration for General Theo Osterkamp and personally deliver some lobsters and oysters for his party. Galland's crew chief placed the goods in Galland's new Bf 109F fighter just before takeoff. Galland's flight plan would take himself and his wingman, from Brest to Le Touquet, France, the site of the party, but en-route to Le Touquet, Galland decided that a detour to England was in order. His hunter instinct paid off near Dover, as they both surprised a large flight of Spitfires on maneuvers. Paddy Finucane was leading that group of Spitfires. Galland’s instincts proved deadly as he managed to down three Spitfire Mk. IIs. As Galland flew through the formation, Paddy rolled out from above and targeted Galland. The hunter became the hunted and Finucane riddled Galland’s aircraft with shells. Galland bailed out of his flaming Bf-109 near the coast of France. He was rescued hours later. Suffice it to say, Galland never made it to Osterkamp’s party as Paddy claimed Galland as a victory!
    Said Finucane, “I shoot to hit the machine, not the lad in it; at least I hold him no grudge, but I have to let him have it. See him first before he sees you, hit him when you fire as you might not have a second chance”.
    The only time Paddy was wounded in combat came on February of 1942. Paddy went out over Dunkirk in a daylight sweep with his squadron. After an hour of dodging and dog fighting in the clouds over the French coast, a German gunner put a shell through the cockpit of the Flying Shamrock. A sharp piece of shattered plate ripped Paddy’s thigh from knee to hip. As he put it later, “ The cockpit was awash with blood. It was not until I was feeling a bit sick and dizzy did it dawn on me that it was my blood!”…“Good Dublin blood should not be wasted!”…“How I even managed to land without a crack-up will never be known, luck of the Irish triumphed that day if ever!”…Five weeks later and mended, the British headlines read, “Finucane Flies Again!” Model airplanes of his Spitfire with the vivid green Shamrocks were sold all along Piccadilly Circus and The Strand. Small boys robbed their Mother’s purses in haste in order to own one! These were treasured reminders that the greatest flying Ace was again winging his way across the murky channel to protect England. Even the German pilots were aware as word spread to, “Get Finucane of the Shamrock!”
    After attacking German shipping at Ostend and strafing three German airfields on July 15th, 1942, Finucane’s wing regrouped to return to Hornchurch. As the group passed low-level over the beach at Pointe Du Touquet, Finucane’s Spitfire was hit by machine gun fire that severely damaged his radiator. The engine overheated and quit, and the Spitfire was too low to allow Finucane to bail out. Losing altitude swiftly, Paddy was heard to say; “This is it, Chaps” He crashed into the sea, and despite all efforts, was never to be seen again. At the time of his death, Wing Commander Finucane’s score stood at an amazing 32 victories.'

See what I mean?

MY name, nowhere near as famous or as illustrious as his, is also Irish, and I was very proud to be called Paddy when I was at school and later, when I joined the Army. And Pádraig is not even the first of my three Irish forenames. I have to say in my defence, and since you began the nit-picking, that 'who the fug' doesn't sound very Irish to me. I could be wrong tho'.

Lighten up, fer gosh sakes.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Out of interest to the guys who have gone for fitness tests etc, what was the usual time between applying for the fitness test and then doing it? Also when doing interviews and the various tests, did ye have to behave like ye were actually in the army with using "sir" etc, I wouldn't have a clue how to behave durign fitness tests etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

tac foley wrote: »
    Sir - I know his given name, but his biographer and all who knew him called him Paddy - this is the blurb from his biography...

MY name, nowhere near as famous or as illustrious as his, is also Irish, and I was very proud to be called Paddy when I was at school and later, when I joined the Army. And Pádraig is not even the first of my three Irish forenames. I have to say in my defence, and since you began the nit-picking, that 'who the fug' doesn't sound very Irish to me. I could be wrong tho'.

Lighten up, fer gosh sakes.

tac

I just wanted it made clear that Paddy was a nickname.

Advertisement