Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Army

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Zambia wrote: »
    Can you say that about any current RIRA members?

Seeing as a fair few are psychopathic drug dealers, sure why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭A.Tomas

I think its deluded you cliam to speak for most people in the above.

Far to much suffering has been caused in Ireland over the assumption their views are shared by most people.

I have met many a British Soldier proud of their service. Can you say that about any current RIRA members?

Sorry to burst your bubbles. Not that this is genuinely news to any of ye, but most people, myself included, think the RIRA and the British army are two cheeks of the same ass. Both think their big men with their guns and
    "military training" up against civilians and farmers whether in the North or Afghanistan.

So much suffering has been caused by skinheads looking for adventures by the British army in Ireland and the world. (You may have read about it.)

And I have no doubt that there are neandarthal RIRA "men" proud of their service like your friend, maybe they should meet up and talk about their "wars for democracy/freedom/pension".

So good luck trying the Rambo stuff, don't expect the freedom of Dublin will ya. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

A.Tomas wrote: »
    Sorry to burst your bubbles. Not that this is genuinely news to any of ye, but most people, myself included, think the RIRA and the British army are two cheeks of the same ass. Both think their big men with their guns and
    "military training" up against civilians and farmers whether in the North or Afghanistan.

I'll agree with you entirely that the British army didn't handle NI as they should have and there was plenty of scumbags in it but to say it's the same group in the same situation in Afghanistan I'd consider absurd. I'm not going to get into the politics of Afghanistan (Oil pipeline, War on Islam, War on terror etc) but would you rather the coalition forces simply left and let a group of Islamo-Fascists rule the country who have a track record for brutality, oppression and human rights abuses. Take a read of the Taliban's charter and then realise who you want in control. The fact that only 30-40% of the Talibans members are actually Afghani is somewhat of a testament to their support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

So much suffering has been caused by skinheads looking for adventures by the British army in Ireland and the world. (You may have read about it.)

And I have no doubt that there are neandarthal RIRA "men" proud of their service like your friend, maybe they should meet up and talk about their "wars for democracy/freedom/pension".

So good luck trying the Rambo stuff, don't expect the freedom of Dublin will ya. :)

The rambo stuff comment indicates you have very little knowledge of what the military actually do.

The use of the word "most" indicates you did not even comprehend the post you quoted as you have no proof of that general opinion either.

If your going to argue this what is your position are you Pro RIRA or what?

Because if your just another sheep on here bleating "British army Baaaaaaad" believe me its been said before and no poster has ever changed their mind on applying because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭A.Tomas

The rambo stuff comment indicates you have very little knowledge of what the military actually do.

The use of the word "most" indicates you did not even comprehend the post you quoted as you have no proof of that general opinion either.

If your going to argue this what is your position are you Pro RIRA or what?

Because if your just another sheep on here bleating "British army Baaaaaaad" believe me its been said before and no poster has ever changed their mind on applying because of it.

You don't seem to know much about the military either, you just know about the British army.:D

As I mentioned already, branding someone as pro-RIRA (obviously I'm not) is just the same laughable defence mechanism you people use to justify your mercenary status.

They can apply all they want, doubt they'll be getting a welcome home parade.

Irish joining the British army is almost like women in the past going over to Britain to get an abortion, not talked about in public, no matter how "heroic" they are.:)

• Advertisement

I doubt people are looking for a "heroic return to a welcome home parade", I'll be happy if I can return to my home after a service in the BA without the dissidents trying to blow me up, that's the most I'd expect and hope for. Wouldn't be surprised if most agreed as well.

You don't seem to know much about the military either, you just know about the British army.:D
    Ok well if you know so much what would you say are the main draw factors of recruits to the army?
    As I mentioned already, branding someone as pro-RIRA (obviously I'm not) is just the same laughable defence mechanism you people use to justify your mercenary status.
    Us people charming I never branded you Pro RIRA I asked you what your position was. I have never heard any of the serving british soldiers on here say they needed a defence. They have broken no law or done anything wrong.

They can apply all they want, doubt they'll be getting a welcome home parade.
    Why would Ireland give a welcome home parade to a another army of any nation? You really are pulling this stuff out of your rear end.
    Irish joining the British army is almost like women in the past going over to Britain to get an abortion, not talked about in public, no matter how "heroic" they are.:)
    See now your just trolling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Us people charming

No, no, you have the response wrong.

It's

What_Do_You_Mean_You_People_by_EncasedxInxPorcelain.jpg

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

No, no, you have the response wrong.

It's

What_Do_You_Mean_You_People_by_EncasedxInxPorcelain.jpg

NTM

Gotta love Robert Downey Jr. :cool:

Anyways, i'm 19, loved the fascinating life that the Military can provide since i was 10 or so. My uncle would tell me stories of his career in the PDF since i was 14 or 15.

If anyone can help me out by telling me the exact standards of the fitness levels required for the British Army? As of course the PDF, with it's current situation cannot help to curb any Irishmen's(or lady for that matter) enthusiasm towards joining their respective Military.

The arguments on the subject always go way too far, but people have a right to voice opinion. Anyways, any help on the fitness question above would be great.:) I'm a Mayo man and don't drink, a first?;)

Don't get me wrong I always welcome an informed opinion.

Oh and
    http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20153.aspx

• Advertisement

Shane.C wrote: »
    Gotta love Robert Downey Jr. :cool:

Anyways, i'm 19, loved the fascinating life that the Military can provide since i was 10 or so. My uncle would tell me stories of his career in the PDF since i was 14 or 15.

If anyone can help me out by telling me the exact standards of the fitness levels required for the British Army? As of course the PDF, with it's current situation cannot help to curb any Irishmen's(or lady for that matter) enthusiasm towards joining their respective Military.

The arguments on the subject always go way too far, but people have a right to voice opinion. Anyways, any help on the fitness question above would be great.:) I'm a Mayo man and don't drink, a first?;)

Check the army website for all details on fitness required and how to get their. I wouldn't consider it great though to be quite honest so I'd recommend the Royal Marine's "Get Fit" section as their respective entry requirements are tougher. So if you can crack RM fitness, you'll be fine in the army even up to the Paras.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/royalmarines/training-tool/index.htm

Army fitness section
    http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20261.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Only 12:45 for the 1.5 mile run? I thought it was more like 11:30. That's disgracefully slow. :confused: Paras is tough, but the rest are really rather forgiving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Trooperboyo

Yeah for the Para's they have to try to run 1.5 mile bellow 9min after a 3 mile run!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭delta-boy

Only 12:45 for the 1.5 mile run? I thought it was more like 11:30. That's disgracefully slow. :confused: Paras is tough, but the rest are really rather forgiving.

Depends on what part of the army you are joining, man.

10:30 - Infantry
    (9:18 - Paras)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

The recruiter told me you should really be running about 9-10 mins because you're graded and you fitness tests result. The better your grade the better chance you have of being accepted.

I'll be going for REME and i think the required time for that regiment is as high as 13-14 mins for the run but i was advised to be coming in a lot faster than that to improve my chances.

12.45 for all Infantry regiments except for Paras, which is 9.40 AFAIK.
    Yeah for the Para's they have to try to run 1.5 mile bellow 9min after a 3 mile run!

Paras are a 3.5 mile run at 9 min per mile pace followed by a 1.5 mile run best effort to be completed under 9.40 AFAIK.

I could be completely wrong though so double checking is a good idea, if I remember correctly though those are the figure.

Paras are 9:18 max. Every other infantry regiment is 10:30 max, although you will want to be running a good bit faster for an A or B grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

delta-boy wrote: »
    Paras are 9:18 max. Every other infantry regiment is 10:30 max, although you will want to be running a good bit faster for an A or B grade.

How is the grading system applied? Or is it literally to decide who out of the hundred applicants is allowed into a training class of 50 for example?

Lemming wrote: »
    How is the grading system applied? Or is it literally to decide who out of the hundred applicants is allowed into a training class of 50 for example?

Hey Lemming :)

The recruiter you are in contact with will be the one who puts you into ADSC, it is decided who is medically and physically ready for ADSC through pre-ADSC, were like-wise physical tests are carried out and such.

The grading system in ADSC is carried out through numorous tests over the two day tests, for example - team tests (grenade throwing, PT, team relays), PT (1.5mile run, warm ups etc... ) and the interviews and icebreaker all make up your grade for ADSC, the higher the grade the more likely you are quicker to start Phase 1, be it Bassingbourne/Catterick/Pirbright/Harrogate etc...

Source: Preparing to start my application for AFC Harrogate.

• Advertisement

Lemming wrote: »

Yes, as Delta pointed out the grading system basically equals a higher priority. The better you score, the quicker you'll be allocated a place because you'll obviously have priority over a B score.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Cheers lads, useful to know ahead of time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭SamuelFox

Lads, if you are serious about joining then get your run time down. The Army is chokka now and slots are hard won. Show you want a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Anyone know the craic with popping into the recruitment office in Enniskillen.

Do I need an appointment or can I just show up whenever ?

Was thinking Enniskillen would be handiest from Dublin straight up the N3/M3.

If you're traveling from Dublin your best bet is to book an interview so you can discuss everything properly and not be rushed for time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

RMD wrote: »
    If you're traveling from Dublin your best bet is to book an interview so you can discuss everything properly and not be rushed for time.

Sound. After reading the website fully it seems as though you need to have an idea of what jobs you are interested in and answers to why you want to join etc. before attending. Basically preparation is needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Are you trolling or serious?

You realise you do have to take an oath to the crown and Great Britain should you join?

If you won't enjoy it then why would you do it?

Most members of the British military prefer taking an oath to the monarch rather than some politician.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

gatecrash wrote: »
    If your parents were born before 1946 ( i think that's the year) they are entitled to an english passport, but they'd have to relinquish their Irish one. As a child of English citizens you'd be entitled to an english passport too then.

You can try all you like but you'd never be able to get an English passport, for the simple reason that none exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

redout wrote: »
    Anyone know the craic with popping into the recruitment office in Enniskillen.

Do I need an appointment or can I just show up whenever ?

Was thinking Enniskillen would be handiest from Dublin straight up the N3/M3.

You should send and email or ring them. they might send you down the recruitment forms which you can fill in and send back. Then they'll book you in to do your BARB and job skills tests which will help determine what jobs are available to you and you'll be able to discuss that with the recruiter.

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    Sound. After reading the website fully it seems as though you need to have an idea of what jobs you are interested in and answers to why you want to join etc. before attending. Basically preparation is needed.

A good idea before heading up is just to get a rough idea of what trade you'd like to go into and what regiments interest you. As you've said, just make sure you can give a decent answer on why you want to join, what is it that interests you and why you think you'd be a benefit to the army.

There's a lot of people applying these days due to the lack of jobs and places are becoming less and less due to cutbacks. They just need to know and believe you're genuinely interested in joining the army. The more information you have and preparation you do, the better it will look to them. A person who has no idea what they're on about or what they're joining isn't appealing to them. Good luck man, do the work and you'll be fine. The major no-no is telling any sort of lie or exaggerated truth, they'll catch you out on this very quickly and it isn't impressive in the slightest.

Advertisement