Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

herbal medicine course

Options
  • 28-04-2010 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

hi all
    dont know if this is the correct forum to post this in. i am very interested in herbal medicine and would love to do some study on the subject. i work full time and can't afford to take on a full time course ( CIT in cork offer 4 yr degree). would have to be weekend/ evening course. I am living in limerick. Could anyone advice me or recommend a course they have done.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Mod note: Moved from "Health Sciences Education".

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hats199

Hello,
    There is a distance learning BSc in herbal medicine available with the University of East London.

http://www.uel.ac.uk/programmes/hab/undergraduate/summary/herbalmedicine-bsc.htm

It's the only distance learning herbal medicine course thats accredited by the National Institute of Medical Herbalists.

http://www.nimh.org.uk/

The theory part of the course is distance learning, but you'd still need to go to their campus in London a few times each term to attend seminars, exams etc. Also there are 500 hours clinical practice which need to be completed during the course, you'd have to do these at their London campus too.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

thanks for the info hats199
    much appreciated! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

You can study herbal science as a BSc in CIT (cork) but it's very much science based with plenty of pharmacology and biochemistry. Otherwise try the Irist insititute of traditional chinese medicine, I think they teach in LImerick or Clare. You can do a degree in chinese herbal medicine but they also cover a lot of western herbs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rosshennessy

An old post I know, but there are 3 options, Cork, Portlaoise and Dublin to become a qualified herbalist. www.bluherbal.ie have a lot of information on herbal medicine in Ireland and courses. Cork is full time, after 4 years you have to do an apprenticeship to gain clinical hours. Dublin and Portlaoise are part time and over 4 years you cover 600 hours of clinical hours so you're ready to start when you finish.

Hope this helps future questions about becoming a qualified herbalist in Ireland

• Advertisement
Advertisement