Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When was bb introduced?

• 28-04-2010 11:31pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In what year did Eircom introduce bb?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

dub45 wrote: »

They began trials with it in Dublin in 1997/8 amongst Eircom engineers if thats what you would like to call "the beginning"?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sorry I meant for the householder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Sorry I meant for the householder.

Some time around 2014 with a bit of luck............

It was called Eircom i-stream wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

2.048Mbps Primary ISDN was the "original" broadband, as per ITU defintion. Only large companies and Universities could afford it. If you were very rich you could have that for data rather than 31 "phone lines" on a PABX in mid 1980s.

DSL made Broadband affordable to small business and home user. The first public deployments in Ireland was Eircom Dublin & Cork and Esat in Raheen, Limerick. Can't remember exact year, around 2002 anyway, before that was trials.

Much later than other Countries Compare 2000 in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles and Orange County, Calif. http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/332981

As DSL has only recently been rolled out in
    the Irish arena the service is not currently
    available to everyone and it will be many
    months before the rollout is complete.The
    first areas to be rolled out are parts of
    Dublin where Eircom is offering this service.
    Eircom will also offer ADSL services
    throughout Ireland in the coming months.
    Following on from Dublin will be Cork,
    Limerick,Northwest,Galway and Kerry.

EsatBT also launched a DSL service in
    Limerick in April with the Roches Street
    exchange being the first to offer DSL.

EsatBT will continue to rollout this service on an
    exchange by exchange basis throughout
    the country over the coming months and by
    December 2002 plans to have unbundled
    40 exchanges which can potentially serve
    400,000 lines.
    In summary DSL has arrived on Irish
    shores.
    from http://www.commsonline.ie/pdfs/8-9.pdf

The company I was working in got DSL in 2002, outside Limerick City. I could not get Broadband at home till November 2005, and then it was Wireless (Digiweb Metro).

Many eircom exchanges had "trigger levels" that exceeded the number of customers unlike the real trigger scheme in UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Cablelink were offering broadband in the late 1990s. I think cable broadband was available in Malahide (but I'm not sure if Cablelink, Chorus or CMI were responsible for that network). I've seen some threads mentioning these services before the purchase by NTL stopped it dead in its tracks for years. I know 1999 definitely had cable broadband.

Casey cablevision have been offering broadband for a decade or so now I think. Sorry, I've no dates on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

In what year will Eircom introduce decent bb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

I think it was around march or april 2004 for a lot of people with eircom. And I have to say whatever about the price, the service was perfect, always full speed at any time until late last year WHEN IT TURNED TO UTTER ****E! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭measurement

I know this will make me seem like a complete accountant (I'm not one) but I've just found a scanned copy of my changeover of the PSTN account to DSL, dated 5th August 2003. (Dublin). :D
    Its been working fine ever since, but I now use the OpenDNS settings described elsewhere to avoid server problems in Eircom, :rolleyes: and with one brief exception recently, I have gone for the cheapest option available. I'm watching to see when the promised 8MB will arrive (supposed to be ready for this area - Terenure - but yet to materialise).:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

To actually answer dub45's question, I believe it was in 2002 in 40 exchanges in Dublin. At the princely sum of €108 per month.

This document mentions that it was May 2002. Forfas are a reliable and reasonably unbiased source from my experience.
    www.forfas.ie/media/forfas040129_broadband_benchmarking.pdf

Also: www.encom.ie/client_images/FAQs_on_ADSL.pdf

It mentions that i-stream launched in May 2002 with a price of €89 ex vat for residential customers.

Another document I found (but I misplaced the link) said that there were 3,400 eircom DSL customers by the end of March 2003 so that would point to sometime in 2002 being the launch date.

• Advertisement
Advertisement