Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eats in ennis?

• 28-04-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

anyone know any good [/cheap] places to grab lunch in ennis? i've just started some work experience there and should probably be bringing packed lunches anyway but it would be handy if there was somewhere nice and cheap.

and not junkfood like enzos/supermacs/abra.
    i know there's a subway and o'briens, but i'd like to support somewhere independent. i saw a couple places today that looked good "the beehive cafe" for one, but seemed too pricey to be eating lunch there on the daily.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Go out to the Tesco shopping center and head into the Sherwood. Proper tasty food and great prices, only thing is the place is always mobbed but it's well worth it.

Numero Uno does a lunch special too for about a fiver, half a pizza with a side of chips

Most of the pubs do sandwiches etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 1_Tyreman

Hi,
    Came accross this place in Merchants Square in off Parnell street. It used to be Sean O'Connors Restaurant but obviously changed hands since.
    Its now called Soupers or something like that. They ain't Irish (not that thats an issue) but they are real nice and pleasent and nothing was a problem.
    I had mushroom soup and a most interesting toastie, it had ham,cheese and onion on brown bread BUT then dipped in egg and done like french toast.....different but nice, soup was good too. My mate had vitamin soup which was a meal in itself.......defo one for the health addicts. They do main dishes too on the menu.
    Prices were ok although I cant remember exactly how much we paid but we both commented afterwards that it was good value.
    Have a look if your passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i find ennis a nice place to stop, and even more so since the bypass , are the markets on every saturday still, are they as big as they youese to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Try the Hotspot, it's in lifford, near May Kearneys. Nice soups, wraps, stews, sandwiches, etc. Kind of a place for people on the go. You can eat in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 1_Tyreman

exioot wrote: »
    Go out to the Tesco shopping center and head into the Sherwood. Proper tasty food and great prices, only thing is the place is always mobbed but it's well worth it.

Woops forgot about the Sherwood, what an institution, highly recommended, menu dosen't change but the price quality and variety are always first class.

Alot like the bar in the Old Ground hotel in the evening menu. Great food especially the stuffed mushrooms and the fillet steak........one needs to be fasting for a while to consume that lot........but heck........ its tasty and worth it for what you get. It gets a bit expensive when there is more than 1 or 2 and defo not the place to go with kids as the costs really mount up when drinks etc are added in.

Dear God I have alot to say when it comes to food......yummm close to my heart.....hee heeee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

+20 for the sherwood in tesco
    best dinners ever !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

Numero Uno does a lunch special too for about a fiver, half a pizza with a side of chips

Ahhhh the memories...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You can't go wrong with McDonalds if you are prepared to make your way out to the Gort Rd. :p

You can't go wrong with McDonalds if you are prepared to make your way out to the Gort Rd. :p

but your hungry again in 20 min!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

but your hungry again in 20 min!

Not if you buy two or three portions. :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Numero Uno should rename themselves Numero Due, because Henry's Pizzeria just around the corner is a billion times nicer. On top of the better pizza, it's way more comfy and spacious, serves wine, and the wonderfully friendly owner (and chef) will come out, take your order and have a bit of a chat with you too.

Me and 4 of my friends are well known to him as regulars, and he always sits down with us for a bit of banter if the place is quiet. TBH, even if the pizza wasn't awesome, that would tilt it for me. You don't see that anymore these days.

Only eaten in the pizzeria around the corner once but it was really nice. The lunch special in Numero Uno is decent for it's price though, hence why I mentioned it for the thread starter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭BnB

BOBBY wrote: »
    +20 for the sherwood in tesco
    best dinners ever !
    Sherwood is the Mutts Nutts alright. Good Value Great fod.

It is always busy, but if you want a way around it, the same people run the canteen in the Mart on the Quin Road and the food is the same top quality. It is obviously only open days that the mart is on though (Tuesdays & Thursdays I think).

A lot of people who wouldn't be going to the mart head in there for lunch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

You can ring up Sherwood beforehand and then call in to collect it - same food but avoid the crazy queues 065-6820255. The Southern Fried Chicken with chips, veg and Gravy is nice and only around €8.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Insulting_Bitch

Snack Shack in Abbey Street car park...very simple sandwiches, by george nothing fancy about the place but it's a lovely and iirc dirt cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The Temple Gate Hotel does a very nice carvery for reasonable prices.
    Could never see the attraction of the sherwood, it may be 2 quid cheaper, but the food in the Gate is really nice and the atmosphere is lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 claregalway

anyone know any good [/cheap] places to grab lunch in ennis? i've just started some work experience there and should probably be bringing packed lunches anyway but it would be handy if there was somewhere nice and cheap.

and not junkfood like enzos/supermacs/abra.
    i know there's a subway and o'briens, but i'd like to support somewhere independent. i saw a couple places today that looked good "the beehive cafe" for one, but seemed too pricey to be eating lunch there on the daily.

Sqare bar top of abbey street wont be beaten

Advertisement