Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mark Helprin

Options
  • 29-04-2010 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

Just happened across this forum while looking for something else. I wonder has anybody read Mark Helprin (Soldier of the Great War, The Pacific, etc.) and what you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

The reason I clicked on this thread is because the autor's name was familiar to me. I picked up the book "Winter's Tale" by Mark Helprin a couple of years ago when I was in the states. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't read it yet.

I'm really bad, have loads of unread books, I just love collecting them all. I'll try get to it soon & will let you know what I think.

On the author's website http://www.markhelprin.com it mentions "Soldier of the Great War" but nothing about the Pacific. Was he involved in writing it? Do you mean the TV series? Interesting....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

The reason I clicked on this thread is because the autor's name was familiar to me. I picked up the book "Winter's Tale" by Mark Helprin a couple of years ago when I was in the states. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't read it yet.

I'm really bad, have loads of unread books, I just love collecting them all. I'll try get to it soon & will let you know what I think.

On the author's website http://www.markhelprin.com it mentions "Soldier of the Great War" but nothing about the Pacific. Was he involved in writing it? Do you mean the TV series? Interesting....

I read "Winter's Tale" years ago - would really recommend it - excellent writing, part historical novel, part fantasy although the final chapter is a bit disturbing if I remember correctly. Must read it again!

Wiki lists "The Pacific ..." among his works.

Thanks for that. It says on Wiki "Pacific - The Story" so it seems to have nothing to do with the TV series. Well I love it when I find out something new about books, so thank you. I'll definitely get to "Winter's Tale"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Hi, 'The Pacific and Other Stories' is a collection of short stories by Helprin. I read it a few years ago and liked it. An unusual mix of subjects and settings. Worth a look but not as good a read as 'A Soldier of the Great War' in my opinion. I am on my fourth copy - I keep giving it to friends to read and never again see it. Then again that's how I came by my first copy.:)

Thanks for that. I'll add it to my list! I've just made a vow to myself to get off the internet and read books more!

• Advertisement
Advertisement