Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Zlatan Ibrahimovic Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

inforfun wrote: »
    Decent amount of goals.
    But what i would like to see is how many of those goals were bringing in the points.
    I dont care about a player who scores a hat-trick when these are the 3,4 and 5-0. KlaasJan Huntelaar is a prime example of this kind of goalscorer.

I honestly dont know how many points these 21 goals ibrahimovic scored have resulted in.
    Check out ESPN's stats page on him and it has a list of every game he has played this season and what game he scored in and also assisted in. From that I would say he has played an important role in quite a few games this season, some games like against Xerez at the weekend he socred one and set up another when they won buy 2, and I would see that as just as important as if he scored the only goal in a game.

I said last night in the match thread and I'll say it again here, I actually feel sorry for Ibra because he left because he genuinely thought he would have a much better chance of winning the CL with Barca than Inter and I never held that against him because I would have agreed at the time. I'm sure he will be cheering on Inter in the final too, even if he wishes he was there himself.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Overrated, too inconsistent, too arrogant and Inter certainly screwed over Barca in the deal and they players they signed as a result of of the money received(£45M?).

For those wanting to bring up his goals vs Madrid, Arsenal and Stuttgart, what do all 3 defences have in common? They are very average - poor for the most part. Stuttgart being poor in general.

He'll continue to be one of the most talented players in the world but one of the best... not a chance IMO.

edit - Have to also add, people need to look from Barca's perspective in regards to last summer. Amongst all the looking-back-with-rose-tinted-glasses praise for Eto'o(I'm a Eto'o fan btw), let's not forget he was trying to screw the club by refusing to renew his contract and wanting to leave on a free. Because of his selfishness and past grudges this became about more than just football.

As well, Eto'o could be kept for one more year and then allowed to leave on a free. I think this point is what people forget most about last summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

I haven't seen much of him this season as I don't watch La Liga, but the last 2 seasons at Inter he was amazing. He was very consistent and scored a lot of goals. He was by far the best player in Serie A, even better than Kaka. Last season I would have rated him the best striker on the planet.

The man is a seriously talented footballer, he has great technical ability and is capable of skill few others are. He offers much more than just scoring goals, perhaps at Barca they just want someone to score goals, they have other players to do the magic and maybe thats why he doesn't fit in.

As an Inter fan I would take him back in a second, we would have the Scudetto wrapped up by now if he was still with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

As someone posted over on the match thread ...

Let me know if you are out shopping this summer -

4561289419_e7f3bff5ee.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Didnt Mourinho say he was better than Ronaldo last year before they were knocked out by United. Not sure if he said he was the best. I remember him not having a sniff of the ball when Inter played at anfield a few years back. Like last nite I dont think he is very effective against a side who are very defensive in their set up and block off his distribution or he just cant hold the ball up well. Suppose you can be say that about alot of players but it doesnt make sense to take off your main striker in a Champions league semi final unless he is useless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Didnt Mourinho say he was better than Ronaldo last year before they were knocked out by United. Not sure if he said he was the best.

He said 'The best players in the world are Messi, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic and Kaka, and I have the best one in Ibra' or something along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

the_monkey wrote: »
    As someone posted over on the match thread ...

Let me know if you are out shopping this summer -

4561289419_e7f3bff5ee.jpg

Defintely need a caption competish :P

It is amazing the contrast on here between after a game he hasn't performed in comparison to a game were he has like Arsenal away. He is a good player that was nowhere near the price they paid for him. As Eze said I don't think he is utilised effectively into the Barca setup. One thing however that really annoys me about him is how he goes for balls in the air with his feet when a high percentage of the time he could have got much better contact with his head, just so illogical....

I think most of the stick he is getting is because of the player he was swapped for, Etoo fitted perfectly into Barca's style of play while he doesn't. Saying that he has still got goals this year so maybe just give it some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Didnt Mourinho say he was better than Ronaldo last year before they were knocked out by United. Not sure if he said he was the best. I remember him not having a sniff of the ball when Inter played at anfield a few years back. Like last nite I dont think he is very effective against a side who are very defensive in their set up and block off his distribution or he just cant hold the ball up well. Suppose you can be say that about alot of players but it doesnt make sense to take off your main striker in a Champions league semi final unless he is useless!

Mourinho also said that Frank Lampard was the best player in the world when he was at Chelsea. Of course he's going to big-up his own players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

For me, the Ibra bashing is a bit much...

He's not worth the money paid.. that has to be said, but the figure is agreed between the clubs, the player doesn't have a say in this. Unfortunately when such high amounts of cash are involved, it does put that added pressure on the player's shoulders.

It has been a difficult first season for Ibra trying to adapt to the Barca style of play, and of course Barca have had to slightly alter their play now that Ibra is leading the line rather than Eto'o. They are very different styles of player.

For me anyway, he has played well this season and has chipped in with some excellent goals and performances. As he has done at all his clubs and with Sweden, he tends to go missing in some games. Pep has noticed this and just subs him straight away. Its a strange trait in Ibra. Its as though he just knows he can't give any more to the match or something... Strange. Anyway, apart from the price tag I think he is a good player. He's not in the Ronaldo, Messi, Rooney, Kaka category of player.. He's somewhere below that...

When he signed for Barca, I was a bit sceptical, but Eto'o had them over a barrel and Ibra was available. He has definitely been better than I expected, but i'd definitely give him another season to bed into the team before I'd make a judgment...

One point though, he is far from a flop...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Excellent article. Going to read some more of their stuff, seems very in depth tactically :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Anyone reckon Zlatan should get a Champions League medal? He did fund Inter's campaign after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Jigga wrote: »
    Anyone reckon Zlatan should get a Champions League medal? He did fund Inter's campaign after all!
    No he didn't, the signings of Milito and Motta were made long before Ibra was sold and the intention was to have Ibra and Milito play together. The only signings that were made after Ibra was sold were, Eto'o who was part of that deal, Lucio who was free and Sneijder who cost nowhere near what we got for Ibra. Inter did not need to sell Ibra for the money, that has never been a problem with Moratti, he was sold because he wanted to go to Barca. I have said it before, I actually feel sorry for Ibra because the reason he left was because he thought that he had a better chance of winning the CL with Barca, and not many would have disagreed with that, I am glad that he has a La Liga winners medal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Can't have an appreciation thread without appreciating this outrageous, yet arguably unnecessary, brilliant pass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

8-10 wrote: »

Can't have an appreciation thread without appreciating this outrageous, yet arguably unnecessary, brilliant pass.

Sums him up tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Definately one of the worlds most over rated players.

In other news, I heard this bellow out over the tannoy at half time of a Swedish Division 4 game a few years ago ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWGYjZOzte4

Lyrics:
    No one kicks the football like the one, Zlatan, I say Zlatan
    When you jump, he’s on the run, Zlatan, I say Zlatan
    His own style has made him rich, Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

He was raised in a poor part of town called Rosengard.
    It’s a place where people fight to survive
    Everyone saw, that little boy was a special one
    He looked in your eyes, and gave you the smile ???? for a while.

I want to see you again and again you’re my magic friend.
    I only dream of playing together with you.
    Bad people say, all of your magic will fade away.
    Bull**** to me, a blind man could see, when you move on they are history

Who’s da man, Zlatan, Zlatan
    I say
    Come on
    I say
    Who’s da man, Zlataaaaaaaan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Personally, I prefer the other Zlatan song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK3kMU0ZK5M&feature=related

Ora, tutta quanta la curva
    cantera per te
    Zlatan, sei uno zingaro
    Zlatan, sei uno zingaro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

What I find funny is that I don't think either players, eto'o or ibra fit into their respective teams. Eto'o is far from the traditional striker in italian football and neither is ibra a typical spanish forward imo.

I would argue that the defending for ibra's two goals against arsenal was scandalous really.

Ibra has had his moments he is always a bit hit and miss though, all the way back since his juventus days he has been.

Sorry if this video has already be shown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

flahavaj wrote: »
    Sums him up tbh.
    The fact he was taken off after an hour in both legs of the Champions league quarter final and that his manager would rather play a centre half up front when Barca were desperate for a goal sums him up in my opinion.

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

another league title for the big man. how many is that in a row? worth his weight in gold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

8th in a row and i think 9th in 10 seasons. But he is over-rated apparently :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

A cracking player IMO. Believe it or not but Sunderland were close to signing him when he was a teenager.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sunderland-afc/box-19-podcast/no_go_on_ajax_star_zlatan_1_1100787
    Former Holland coach Beenhakker said: "We have received bids from Sunderland, but the clubs have not come to an agreement.

"We don't want to sell Zlatan because the new season's just begun and we don't have time to start looking round ourselves for potential replacements."

That's the only link I can find but apparently a fee was agreed after that and Ajax pulled out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

*notices all the naysayers shutting the **** up*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Pauleta wrote: »
    8th in a row and i think 9th in 10 seasons. But he is over-rated apparently :pac:

Sublime record, unbelievable really. And what makes it even more impressive is that he has been doing it while transferring to other clubs.

Ajax
    >Juve
    >Inter
    >Barca
    >Milan

I've honestly never heard of a record like it, past or present.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Paully D wrote: »
    A cracking player IMO. Believe it or not but Sunderland were close to signing him when he was a teenager.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sunderland-afc/box-19-podcast/no_go_on_ajax_star_zlatan_1_1100787

That's the only link I can find but apparently a fee was agreed after that and Ajax pulled out.

He was also this close to signing for Arsenal, deal fell through at the last second though.

0b6d8119919e6f959c71ef689c9e8b8b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

So are Milan interested in taking him from Barça or not now that the loan is nearly expired ?

He'll be signing for Milan, no question about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,656 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He is the most expensive player now thanks to his €23m move from AC Milan to PSG €191.3m in total of transfer fees

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Time to update this. The best goal I think I've ever seen.

What an absolute genius.

1352928097133.gif

Here's a fascinating documentary on the lad as well.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Headshot wrote: »
    I think he's a good player

I also feel ibra is very inconsistent.
    He's bloody useless. Has not justified the huge money Barca spent on him. They should buy back E'to and send Ibra back to where he originally came from. Absolutely a waste of space tonight.
    Good player, but not great player.
    Jigga wrote: »
    Eto'o, Lucio, Mlito,Sneijder >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lazy Swede who was taken off after an hour in both legs of the semi final when Barca were desperate to score
    adox wrote: »

Not for me. Overrated by too many people IMO.
    Don't particularly like him, he's definitely overrated.

I
    Fromvert wrote: »
    He's both over rated and under rated depending on who you want to listen to. I think he's good but not great and if the chips are down I wouldn't want to be relying on Ibra to do something.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Poor man's Samaras.

;)
    Tusky wrote: »
    I think hes one of the most overrated players in the world.
    He's like berbatov only twice the price and lets you buy a brand new team with the transfer money and knock out his new team :D
    Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Overrated, too inconsistent, too arrogant and Inter certainly screwed over Barca in the deal and they players they signed as a result of of the money received(£45M?).
    Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Definately one of the worlds most over rated players.

Laughable. An absolute class player and boy did he prove it tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

But could he do it on a cold winters day away to Stoke :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've always been a fan but people are getting carried away tonight. And even the goal which was really, really good but not even close to the best goal I've ever seen.

Its not even the best goal I've seen him score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ares wrote: »

I see you quoted my post which was clearly tongue in cheek with the wink smiley. Well done :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Anyone here the England fans singing one nil and you ****ed it up!

Oh its too funny to laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Quite sad you quoted all that to be honest. Fantastic player, brilliant goal and performance but you don't even know what your arguing against. The quotes you put up went from 'inconsistent' to 'useless'.

My opinion is that his performances have ranged from lazy to brilliant quite often, too often to be considered one of the greats. I would guess your probably the only person who thinks that may be the best goal they've ever seen. Must be mentioned too it was a friendly against a poor England defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

eagle eye wrote: »
    I've always been a fan but people are getting carried away tonight. And even the goal which was really, really good but not even close to the best goal I've ever seen.

Its not even the best goal I've seen him score.

Whether or not it was or not(it was the best goal he's scored imo) its sheer imagination and audacity put it above any of the other goals he has scored.

Which really tells you how good it was. On the other thread a guy posted an alternate view of the goal, which makes it even look more incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I love nights like tonight, when I get to say I've been a fan for years!

Some, ****ing, boss

Btw thanks for that Documentary link, was brill

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Ares wrote: »

Well done on quoting posts from 2010 :D

I stand by my comments at that point in time. I can hold my hands up and say I was wrong like I've done in other threads since. Very much glad he's proven me wrong. TBF, I'm more glad at how much money he's won me over the years honestly.

But anyway, I'm sure you and everyone else who thanked your post backed him from the very beginning no doubt :)f_ale.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Anyone here the England fans singing one nil and you ****ed it up!

Oh its too funny to laugh.

according to newstalk, they were calling him a 'sh1t Andy Carroll' too

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Whether or not it was or not(it was the best goal he's scored imo) its sheer imagination and audacity put it above any of the other goals he has scored.

Which really tells you how good it was. On the other thread a guy posted an alternate view of the goal, which makes it even look more incredible.
    Well for me anyways this goal is miles ahead of it.

Yeah its amazing but you have to see it in context. A lad I know scored goals like that often enough at under 15 level, for Ibra that defence was just like the defences the lad I know came up against, absolutely muck. the goal tonight is more unique, more beautiful, more defining!
    His goal tonight was just on a different planet. I honestly have never seen anything like it. But just my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

"I am a truly worldclass talent that deserves special treatment. I am Zlatan"

• Advertisement

Yeah its amazing but you have to see it in context. A lad I know scored goals like that often enough at under 15 level, for Ibra that defence was just like the defences the lad I know came up against, absolutely muck. the goal tonight is more unique, more beautiful, more defining!
    His goal tonight was just on a different planet. I honestly have never seen anything like it. But just my view.

1110804_o.gif

Not sure of your point. Ibra is a worldclass talent even back then he would have been lightyears ahead of the players he was up against in Holland. The goal is quality but just not as good as tonights! They are both the epitomy of Zlatan but tonights goal will be his legacy, it'll be the goal they talk about 50 years from now, too bad it was just a friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Not sure of your point. Ibra is a worldclass talent even back then he would have been lightyears ahead of the players he was up against in Holland. The goal is quality but just not as good as tonights! They are both the epitomy of Zlatan but tonights goal will be his legacy, it'll be the goal they talk about 50 years from now, too bad it was just a friendly.

I'm not sure about that, think you might be hyping the goal up a bit too much. It's a brilliant goal no doubt, but since people are saying 'best ever' and things like that, it's only fair to point out it was, at it's core, a lob into an unguarded net. An amazingly executed lob of course, but I think it might be a bit of heat of the moment extreme lavishing of praise.

Apologies. I didn't see your previous post and thought you were talking about tonights goal.

Ignore and move on. Nothing to see here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

“I barely yelled at my teammates any more. Something had happened, nothing serious, not yet, but still. I became quiet and that’s lethal, believe me. I have to be angry to play well. I have to scream and shout.”

“It was David Trezeguet’s fault. He made me do one drink of vodka after another. I slept in the bathtub. Now I hold my vodka
    much better.”

“Messi is awesome. He’s unbelievable, but we are totally different. He came to Barça as a 13-year old. He’s raised in that culture and has no problems with that ‘school’ ****. In the team, the play is based around him pretty naturally. He’s brilliant, but then I arrived and scored more goals than him.”

“Guardiola started his philosopher thing. I was barely listening. Why would I? It was advanced bull**** about blood, sweat and tears, that kind of stuff.”

“An injured Zlatan is a pretty serious thing for any team.”

“At Barca, players were banned from driving their sports cars to training. I thought this was ridiculous – it was no one’s business what car I drive – so in April, before a match with Almeria, I drove my Ferrari Enzo to work. It caused a scene.”

“Jose Mourinho is cool. The first time he met my wife he said “Helena, you have only one mission. Feed Zlatan, let him sleep, keep him happy!” The guy says what he wants. I like him.”
    Upon signing for PSG, Zlatan was asked "Do you know much about Ligue 1 or the players here?" - "It's true I don't know that much about the players here in Ligue 1, but they definitely know who I am."

Again, upon signing for PSG - "This is another step in my career, another dream that has come true. This has been a massive thing in the media, people chasing me in my home. This is not normal, I will chase them back."

When asked if he had found a house in Paris yet - "We are looking for an apartment. If we don't find anything, then I'll probably just buy the hotel."

When asked about Balotelli - “I like fireworks too, but I set them off in gardens or kebab stands. I never set fire to my own house.”

When asked which other sportsman he would compare himself to - “I’m like Muhammed Ali. When he said he would knock someone out in the fourth round, he did it."

When asked what his ‘style’ of football was – “Zlatan-style.”

When asked why he had scratches on his face after a game - "Well...I don't know... you'll have to ask your wife about that."

In response to a reporter who asked “is it possible for Ajax to drop nine points in nine games?” - "According to my calculations it’s possible to drop nine points in only three games."

When asked what he got his wife for her birthday – “"Nothing, she already has Zlatan.”

When asked “Who is the best looking woman in the world?” – “I don’t know, but when I find her I will date her.”

In response to Arsene Wenger asking him to play a trial game before signing for Arsenal – “Zlatan doesn't do auditions.”

A female reporter joked that Zlatan was gay due to a photo of him hugging Pique. He replied - "Come to my house and you'll see if I'm gay. And bring your sister".

• Advertisement
Advertisement