Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air rifle

Options
  • 29-04-2010 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hey lads, the brother is thinking about getting an air rifle as a first gun.
    Any thoughts appreciated. Keen to shoot pigeons and other vermin in a
    quiet fashion. Would he be better with a .22 with a mod or what ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Can't shoot birds with an air rifle and can't shoot birds with a rifle with a mod on, so the option for birds and like is more likely to be a shotgun. Since mods aren't on for shooting birds, the quiet option is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 imincanada

Yep the law(ass) here stops the sensible person from using a sensible tool for a genuine reason.
    The law also makes it easier for your little bro to buy a shot gun as apposed to an air rifle.
    Availability of air rifles in Eire is Sh1t anyway- thats why we're over-run with gray squirrels.

When are air-rifles going to be omitted for the purposes of calculation of one's minimum security requirements..

I'd have to spend thousands on alarms and security if i wanted to buy an air-rifle worth €99 because i already have a few real guns.

When will this madness be recognized and who will help us change it.
    I looking for a hero! (i should say herion?? i.e. long leg'ed blond in black tight action cat suit;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Johnny_Coyle

Anyone that has ever shot a Diana RWS knows that it is most definitely, a real gun.

I like the side action Diana RWS models, such as the model 48,
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=166193270

However, by the time all is said and done, you may as well just step up to a 22 or a 223.

Ruger 10/22 is a nice all around gun.

Give us an idea what the intentions are for the gun.

The problem with 22lr's is that they are just too power full for shooting into trees and the like, especially with the crappy availability of ammo here in Ireland! i.e. no low powered stuff is readily available.

Other country's have access to much lower powered ammo for the 22lr making backyard shooting relativity safe!

We need a real firearms dealer in this country! What ever happened to talk of midway.com coming to Ireland, although they would prob have similar red tape issue that would make their existence unbearable too!.

If you think standard shooters are being trod on by the system then just imagine the size of the foot that trods on the dealers and their unwritten restriction as hear-say guidelines. I have heard stories-thats all i can say here for fear of an uprising;).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Alright OP - PCP (Pre-charged Pneumatic) air rifles are very accurate and quite powerful enough to kill vermin and rabbits out to 70 yards. There is nothing as accurate as a well set up PCP. And it's a good way to learn a lot about the basics of shooting, safely, quietly and cheaply.

And you got a PM.

Advertisement