Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best trade in value for swapping platforms?

Options
  • 29-04-2010 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

I have three Xbox 360 games that I want to swap for the PS3 counterparts and I'm wondering where has the best deal or any decent deal at all? I asked in Smyths and alls I was quoted for the three games was 16 store credit :confused: The PS3 games I wanna swap them for are about 16quid each 2nd hand anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Try adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

What are the games,also Xtravision are the best around for trade ins at the moment,although Game will beat any amount by €1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Fallout 3, Assassin's Creed and Orange Box. I know they're obviously a little out of date by this stage though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I suggest asking on adverts.ie or something similar. Don't go near the retailers as they make an absolute killing on these second hand games and you get very little in return. You will find somebody to swap with if you have patients :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭turnfan

Gamestop have a good trade in deal, get a range of games for €5/10/15/20, you can swap them games for better ones at least. They should probably qualify.

• Advertisement

I suggest asking on adverts.ie or something similar. Don't go near the retailers as they make an absolute killing on these second hand games and you get very little in return. You will find somebody to swap with if you have patients :)

They do indeed make a killing! Gamestop says I'd get twenty quid credit for the three of them! And sure on the PS3 they're at least 15 each second hand so my swaparoonie thing won't work there.
    turnfan wrote: »
    Gamestop have a good trade in deal, get a range of games for €5/10/15/20, you can swap them games for better ones at least. They should probably qualify.

I saw them. Alright I suppose if you want any of the games they're offering. Smyths do a similar thing but it's tied to the console so you can only trade in Xbox 360 games for the Xbox 360 offer and likewise with Ps3

What's the deal with trade ins? Is it just not worth it at all unless there's a special offer?!

Gamesnash offered me the same 20quid Gamestop offered. Smyths offered 16. All I wanna do is trade these in for the PS3 equivalents. You'd think maybe they'd have a special offer for that :confused:. The games might a bit old but they're still making money off of them! €15 for Assassin's Creed, €20 for Fallout 3 as well and 20 for Orange Box in Gamestop. YOu can see what Gamesnash and Smyths sell them for on their sites.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Hi Butch - just to comment from our perspective. We believe that we give very good value trade in amounts. We try our best to beat what is offered elsewhere but more importantly we are generally a lot cheaper on pre owned games so in the overall scheme of trading in you pay less with us. Our last sold prices for the 3 games mentioned are ....
    Fallout 3 € 9.99, Assassins Creed €14.99 and Orange Box €17.99 which is significantly cheaper than Gamestop.

The best value with us comes when you trade in newer games. Because we are internet based our costs and prices must incorporate the postage costs in and back out for your games. If a game that is sold for €9.99 has cost €3.50 in postage and packing to get it in and back out that's a huge chunk of the retail price there whereas a top title selling for €34.99-€39.99 pre owned the postage charges are a fraction of the transaction. That's why with us Fallout 3 is currently being offered at €5.00 credit which still matched what Gamestop were offering.

The other things to bear in mind from a retailers point of view is that a) we are obliged to incorporate VAT into the resale price and b) it may be that we have stock of the game already in place that was traded in at a higher value. Best example of that I can give you is Assassins Creed 2 which we at one stage were giving €35.00 for with an offer here on Boards.ie - we had an avalanch of them in and ended up after that offering €20.00 with the retail price of the game being sold for €34.99. At first glance it appeared we were making €15.00 profit on the game but we were actually selling the previous ones through at a loss.

Advertisement