Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Toy Soldiers....

• 29-04-2010 6:07am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone playing this??

After polishing off Defense Grid (finally) I went looking for more tower defence games! This is kinda like a tower defence game but it is a lot more too.

So, you can build gun emplacements in WW2, its all very slick and reminds me of Hogs of War a little in the art department. You build these emplacements, everything from gun turrets to Howitzers depending on cash flow, and they mow down waves of Nazis. Fun fun!

Then come the waves of tanks and cavalry and planes and and and...

But in Toy Soldiers they added in that you can take control of everything. You can drive the tank and have tank battles, fly a plane and have a big dogfight or even jump into Howitzer, fire a shot and then by continuing to hold the fire button... ** you can fly the shell!!!**
    Ok, we had a lot of fun with that but there are only so many scared looking nazis you can fly into before it gets old. When it does, I'll let you know what that number is.

Playing two player means you can add to your opponents woes by sending specific waves at him to test his defences... has he left himself too weak in AA? Send in the fighter planes :)

There are some niggles about this game.... the person who made the menu system should probably be shot. It manages both in and out of game to be clunky. Its not a deal breaker but it takes a bit of getting used to.
    Its also hard... some levels are easy and then the boss simply annihilates you. Its rewarding to complete them but the levels are long and I guaruntee you that the second time you fail right at the boss... you'll chuck the controller for the night. But you'll be back :)

Overall I would say I would be happy if I had spent 40 quid on this... as it is, for 1200 billy bucks, its a steal.

anyone else out there playing this??

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Yeah I've got it. It's a great game alright. It's actually set in WW1,well I suppose it's themed on WW1 would be more accurate. A very good and novel concept executed well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Got this recently very enjoyable game in particular like the howitzers and controlling the shells. It's a novel approach to have ww1 as opposed to the countless ww2 games. In my opinion right up there with Perfect Dark in terms of XBLA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Up to what I think is the last level (railgun train)...and very much agree that the boss levels can be a stress level of their own. Good game though! Simple but fun. Only thing I'm unsure of is the level of control you have when controlling units - whatever about faster firing & aiming at the batch of units most appropriate, being able to control howitzer shells (speed and direction mid-flight) is a bit much.

Also played one game online - ominous start but pulled it back and managed to survive for longer than I thought I would. Thought the battle would turn at one point but was wrong. It was a learning experience.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I picked it up last week and its good fun. Haven't quite got in it like I did Defence Grid tho, i love that game!

Haven't played the multiplayer yet.. anyone up for a few games??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Lots of fun i like the way you can take over the guns yourself. Removes those horrible moments in most tower games where you look at a tower doing nothing as the enemy runs past and you shout hey just shoot him !!! Little review from bone-idle here if anyones interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Great game....

Add me for some online fights if you like.

Great little game, well worth the 1200msp, I spent ages on it, trying to get all the rations.

I also bought defense grid after I finished it, tower defense is great craic.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Is the Train the last level??

On Tower Defense I've been going back to do the Only Green Towers, 10k Resources only or 10 Towers only (lots of fun). These are great because you cant just slap down cannon and guns and press the Bring Money button :)... you have to plan a strategy.
    Really extends the life of the game!

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    On Tower Defense I've been going back to do the Only Green Towers, 10k Resources only or 10 Towers only (lots of fun). These are great because you cant just slap down cannon and guns and press the Bring Money button :)... you have to plan a strategy.
    Really extends the life of the game!

Ya, I plan on trying to get the full 200G outta Defense Grid, will give it a go anyways.

I got the full 200G in Toy Soldiers, it wasn't too easy I must admit, those rations took a while.

Toy Soldiers “The Kaiser’s Battle” Game Add-On (Microsoft Game Studios)
    June 30 | 400 Microsoft Points

“Toy Soldiers” Add-on content is here! “The Kaiser’s Battle” allows players to enter the fray as the French Army, take on a new experimental boss, earn 3 new achievements and battle into the midnight hours in new multiplayer and Survival Mode maps.

Playing as the French, well as long as the objective isn't to surrender in each level, it should be fun.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I wish they would bring out another expansion pack for Defence Grid, I have gnawed that apple to the core and all around the edges.

Still havent finished Toy Story due to being too busy and not wanting to face that goddamn train again but I will. :)

DeV.

• Advertisement

Did they not release 2 new map packs for Defense grid?

I must go back and try and get the full 200 points out of it at some stage, I imagine it will be no easy task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Code giveaway here for the dlc add-on, if anyone's interested.

http://thegamingliberty.com/index.php/2010/06/30/toy-soldiers-kaisers-battle-dlc-code-giveaway/

rizzla wrote: »

Dammit. Blocked at work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You want free stuff? So do we, we all love it! Well Signal Studios were kind enough to give us some codes for the new DLC Kaiser’s Battle. Details for the new DLC can be found here! If you want to be in with a chance to win one of the four codes, email us and tell us why you want the code: it’s that simple!
    Email us at: comp@thegamingliberty.com
    (competition ends on Sunday 4th July)

heres what it says

Axwell wrote: »
    heres what it says

Cheers!

A Tell us why competition, hate those!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

ditto. Can't stand those ones. Still haven't finished the full game. what with the Arcade sale that was on it got lost in the mix a bit. I'll get back to it though as it is good craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I won a code in the comp! Anyone else get one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

I won a code in the comp! Anyone else get one?

Well, what did ya say to get one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I just said how much I enjoyed the game and joked that where else would I get a chance to lead the French to victory in a war!

Seems to have worked anyway, glad I held out on paying for it now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Just got this today as it's deal of the week, enjoying it so far, is the DLC worth getting?

• Advertisement
Advertisement