Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling course's

• 29-04-2010 6:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Does anyone here know of any tiling courses on in any part of the country and the duration and the cost?

We would prefer a one or two week intensive course or evening course, as we will be getting some practice before we start our own later in the year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Dont know of any in Ireland,but Alpine tiling in the uk are very good, run great 1 week courses, find em on the web. Garys the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

One in waterford:
    http://www.tipptoptiling.com/index.html
    another in tullamore:
    http://www.profiletiling.com/index.htm

Have been considering doing this training myself for a while as it would be a handy skill to have for my own diy jobs.

Much cheaper places in the UK but with travelling and accomodation factored in, it's much of a muchness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭BOND747

I done a three day tiling course at westpoint tiling centre in Headford near Galway city, it covers everything you need for domestic tiling

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KG_SouthTipp

Hi Bond747,

Could you tell me the cost of this course?

Thanks,
    KG

Hi Bond747,

Could you tell me the cost of this course?

Thanks,
    KG

Its a couple of years since i done it, it was €950 at the time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

homer1982 wrote: »
    Does anyone here know of any tiling courses on in any part of the country and the duration and the cost?

We would prefer a one or two week intensive course or evening course, as we will be getting some practice before we start our own later in the year.

Tiling has to be the easiest trade ever, a plumber is someone who failed the electrician exams, a tiler is someone who failed EVERY exam. If you have an eye for detail you can tile. It ain't brain surgery, you're not going to flood/drown/electrocute anyone if you get it wrong.

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Tiling has to be the easiest trade ever, a plumber is someone who failed the electrician exams, a tiler is someone who failed EVERY exam. If you have an eye for detail you can tile. It ain't brain surgery, you're not going to flood/drown/electrocute anyone if you get it wrong.

Ha ha your a gas man, does that mean if a a tiler fails to seal an upstairs shower/bathroom properly he wont flood the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

You're obviously someone who hasn't a clue how to do it properly.

FunnyStuff wrote: »
    You're obviously someone who hasn't a clue how to do it properly.

Well, actually, I have done bathrooms, shower cubicles, wet rooms, and even HSE approved bathrooms where mobility was an issue so I think I'm qualified enough to comment on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

But you are likely to make a s**te of the place if you even lay the first tile wrong. But you knew that of course.....

CLUELESS Springs to mind..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

Well, actually, I have done bathrooms, shower cubicles, wet rooms, and even HSE approved bathrooms where mobility was an issue so I think I'm qualified enough to comment on this thread.

What do you want.... a medal??? I know plenty of people been doing it years and still cant do it properly. I dont know anyone in the business who labels it easy as you do. Heck if it was that easy everyone would be doing it.

But you are likely to make a s**te of the place if you even lay the first tile wrong. But you knew that of course

But why make the assumption that I would lay the first tile wrong in the first place? We don't all need a C&G to tell us we're fantastic.

FunnyStuff wrote: »
    What do you want.... a medal??? I know plenty of people been doing it years and still cant do it properly. I dont know anyone in the business who labels it easy as you do. Heck if it was that easy everyone would be doing it.

You know people in the industry who still can't do it properly?:rolleyes:, if there is ANYONE in the tiling biz who thinks its difficult they really should consider their careers. Mother of God!

You know people in the industry who still can't do it properly?:rolleyes:, if there is ANYONE in the tiling biz who thinks its difficult they really should consider their careers. Mother of God!

Your dead right mate, shor what could be hard about spending 9hrs of the day on your knees tiling floors, its a pity your not tiling anymore i think your a real loss to the tiling trade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

But why make the assumption that I would lay the first tile wrong in the first place? We don't all need a C&G to tell us we're fantastic.

By 'you' in that instance I meant it in a general sense. You'd be surprised how many people (including some self declared experts!!!) start by laying along the most convenient wall/shower edge/bath edge or doorway with no thought of what's going to happen at the other end.
    A decent tiler will also ensure that all surfaces, floors or walls, are level,smooth or sloped accordingly. If I do a bathroom I take out EVERYTHING - Bath, Shower, Toilet, Sink, Rads or whatever. I don't have to, but I do. If I can help it I never retile over a stud wall that has been stripped of tiles. I'll tear the whole lot down where possible and put up new stuff. It's more work but it's all worth it in the end.
    I no longer work as a tiler - I'm now an underworked, overpaid Civil Servant with creaking bones that can only manage the odd nixer (And I'll dodge that if I can!!). I don't really like to diss the job though, it's hard labour intensive work to do it properly and credit to those that do. You can spot a good job from a mile away - likewise a bad job but for different reasons!! It's true that anybody can do it, but just like painting there's a difference in the quality between a Pro and a DIYer.

BOND747 wrote: »
    Your dead right mate, shor what could be hard about spending 9hrs of the day on your knees tiling floors, its a pity your not tiling anymore i think your a real loss to the tiling trade

To BOND747, if you're a genuine tiler you know exactly what I mean in my comments. Why the hell would anybody spend €950 on a tiling course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Alright lads, lets leave it at that please. The thread was opened for the purpose of seeking prices for a tiling course. If any wish to respond to that please do so otherwise take your differences somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭FergusD

As someone who's done a bit of tiling on an amateur basis, I can safely say that tiling is something that can be tackled by an amateur. It's a hard job (hard on the body) like many others, but the major issue for an amateur is speed. I can lay tiles that look as good or better than many professionals - however I could never make a living from doing it - I'm simply too slow to work on a square metre rate.

Fergus.

Advertisement