Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My problem.

• 29-04-2010 8:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Okay so I am a young lad who got his A1 provisional all the way back in october. since then ive been scraping together whatever money I can to purchase my first ever bike. However looking around I am starting to have doubhts over wether a bike is the best choice for a person my age.Dont get me wrong I love bikes and have grown up with them...

Just when I think about a car seems more logical. I can go for long distances, carry whatever i need to, not be influenced severly by the wether and so on...

The only thing holding me back on jumping for the car is the price. Im sure everybodys aware getting started on your first set of wheels can be an expensive procedure.

So Im just wondering if anybody has been in the same kinda prediciment as me and has any advice on what to do ? Cheers

(wasnt sure were to throw this thread so sorry to the modds)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Cars are boring as fvck, especially the cars you can afford at your age.

Thread over :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    So Im just wondering if anybody has been in the same kinda prediciment as me and has any advice on what to do ? Cheers

Simple solution is to buy both. Motorbikes can do an awful lot, but for some things cars are useful. If you really want the convenience of both, you will just have to save up and do that. Until you are able to do that, you will have to decide for yourself if you want the freedom of the bike less the practicality, or the practicality of the car but without the same sense of freedom.

Car = giving people lifts.
    Bike = you are on your own (and relying on lifts).

To clarify, I have a nice bike, and a share in a Yaris that I generally avoid driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

nereid wrote: »
    Simple solution is to buy both. Motorbikes can do an awful lot, but for some things cars are useful. If you really want the convenience of both, you will just have to save up and do that. Until you are able to do that, you will have to decide for yourself if you want the freedom of the bike less the practicality, or the practicality of the car but without the same sense of freedom.

Car = giving people lifts.
    Bike = you are on your own (and relying on lifts).

To clarify, I have a nice bike, and a share in a Yaris that I generally avoid driving.

Well said... I'm the same - car & bike... car is hardly ever used but it's handy to have..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Without doubt, I'll definitely always be more of a car guy but I must say, the cars you will have access to at this stage will give you no pleasure. Do the bike thing now. See if you can get access to maybe a parents car. Learn to drive the bike properly and in a couple of years, switch over to cars after you have a full A and B.

Don't be like half of my generation that had bikes briefly at your age, never did tests and now have to start over again with nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

okay thanks very much sounds like sold advice =)

I guess your right. I was looking at the kinda cars i could realitivly afford and well i wouldnt piss on most of them to stop them from burning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    okay thanks very much sounds like sold advice =)

I guess your right. I was looking at the kinda cars i could realitivly afford and well i wouldnt piss on most of them to stop them from burning

Be amazed at the insurance quotes as well.

25 Male, Dublin 18.

94 1 litre Nissan Micra. 1,400 third party. Value of car. 900
    04 3 litre Audi A8 Quattro, 950 comprehensive. Value of car. 15k+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

For Sale: 1 Toyota Yaris. Low Mileage, Qualifies for scrappage deal... :)

yes I know this is the motorbikes forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

25 Male, Dublin 18.

What about tax/petrol :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

25 Male, Dublin 18.

Insurance companies are not stupid.

I know how I would treat a 94 1l Micra - I would drive it like I stole it, and by the end of the hour it would be in bits.

An Audi A8 would be treated with a lot more respect, and hopfully would not have a scratch on it after a year.

Advertisement