Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freedom me arse

• 29-04-2010 8:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

"Bikes must be great, all that freedom"
    "never have to worry about traffic"
    "the wind in your face" etc etc etc....

We've all heard the stupid nonsense from cagers (yes I'm using that term, its shorter :rolleyes:) about bikes especially this time of the year when the shiny orange thing comes out of hiding for one evening on a wednesday.

Those of you that read IBF will know about my little incident at the start of the month where a female driver put her foot down and rear ended me when I was waiting to pull out on a roundabout, purely because she "though" I was going to move !!! :mad:

Since then my ever dwindling patience for Irish cagers has gotten to a bare minimum as a result of far too many close calls caused by idiots that can't indicate, use their mirrors or be bothered to look around them when changing lanes or turning.

A woman in a cage cut me off this morning and then gestured with the back of her hand for me to get out of her way like I shouldn't be there.

Why is it we get all the admiration (only in the summer) but none of the respect ???

PS. Anyone want to buy a cheap ZZR14 ??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Welcome to Ireland :)

And I already told ya man, bike boot are great for removing cage mirrors ;)
    KTRIC wrote: »
    PS. Anyone want to buy a cheap ZZR14 ??

PMSL :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Welcome to Ireland :)

And I already told ya man, bike boot are great for removing cage mirrors ;)

PMSL :pac:

Just make sure you stretch before hand :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

A woman in a cage cut me off this morning and then gestured with the back of her hand for me to get out of her way like I shouldn't be there.

Why is it we get all the admiration (only in the summer) but none of the respect ???

Wait a sec, you were on the motorbike, and not a bicycle. I thought that was reserved for bicycles. (I gave some bird a fright when I made her stop in the middle of a roundabout as I whizzed through at 40k).

Mind, that is completely offset by the million other times I am run off the road or pulled out in front of...

* sigh * I think I just agree with you. Dozy cagers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

This fella rear ended me last year at a roundabout too.

Looked shocked when I got off the bike to see if he had done any damage. Even said it should be fine seeing as he wasn't going to fast :eek: Not impressed when I told him I would decide if that was the case :mad:

food-fight_175208t.jpg

Unfortunately, you need to prepare yourself each day for the muppets on the road, it helps a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I am a cager and some of us are decent ....but it seems its only the ones that are aware of bikers (my missus has a 650).

a lot of cagers take a view similar to a taxi driver takes of a "normal" car user - its basic begrudgery.....
    - why should a biker be able to navigate through traffic when I cant,
    - why should he/she get to work faster

(in the case of a taxi driver v commuter ...the begrudgery is more about I'm on this road most of the day - who does he/she think they are trying to overtake me...i'll show them ...type of thing)

its attitudes and awareness - LOTS of cagers dont know how to drive when a bike is present (due to their own stupidity) - and this isnt part of the driving test.

(of course there are "some" bikers out there....cough...cough... ahem.... cough...couriers... who damage the reputation for all bikers)

ALL Road users need to give respect on the roads and have awareness - EVERY road user.... biker/cager/taxi driver and courier ....even truck users and cyclists (dont get me started on them) .... should learn how to deal with each other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

To be honest, I hear this all the time from people. I ride the bike most days of the week and apart from the odd cage ( and you'll always have the idiot factor whether cage or motorbike ) I haven't come across much of this personally. I would say in Dublin city center the cyclists are more of a f**king danger than the cages. At least cages obey the lights, don't turn into one way streets the wrong way and never look over their shoulder to see if anything is coming behind when they want to zig zag across the street !!!!!

I could go on all day about cyclists in Dublin :mad:

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    ( and you'll always have the idiot factor whether cage or motorbike )...
    :
    :
    :
    I could go on all day about cyclists in Dublin :mad:

do go on... I mean really, do. I'm interested in a balanced discussion on the matter... Especially when singling out specific categories of road users...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

nereid wrote: »
    do go on... I mean really, do. I'm interested in a balanced discussion on the matter... Especially when singling out specific categories of road users...

How about the fact that people on bicycles are not aware of what a red light means. I had to put on all the hammers on more than one occassion because someone on a push bike with a death wish thought a red light meant peddle faster.

Ive had my fair share of accidents, mostly with people in cars trying to kill me. But there are alot more cars on the roads than bikes.

Mind you, ive had plenty of pedestrians play chicken with me aswell. Im more than happy to give way to anyone, be it a motorist, pedestrian, cyclist etc. But i can feel a bit put out when people are totally unaware of the fact that their not the only ones using the road, no matter who they are, especially when my life is at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

PCPhoto wrote: »

(of course there are "some" bikers out there....cough...cough... ahem.... cough...couriers... who damage the reputation for all bikers)

How the fuck do "couriers" damage bikers reputation? Don't lump us all together, there are good and bad in all groups. I was once crashed into from behind on the grand canal, while on a run, by a biker who explained "my brakes are fucked".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

I agree entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Fair play to you for not booting the car!

In the city, I'm sick to death of drivers changing lanes without indicating. Taxi drivers seem to be the worst, they sort of drift slowly between lanes. It's like they slightly move over, but never turn on their indicator. So you're never quite sure if they just have bad road position or if they're changing lanes.

How about the fact that people on bicycles are not aware of what a red light means. I had to put on all the hammers on more than one occassion because someone on a push bike with a death wish thought a red light meant peddle faster.
    I'm sorry, but that excuse is not valid. You must always be in a position to stop your vehicle safely in the roadway in any emergency - be it caused by an inanimate object, or another road user. That means that just because someone else does something silly, doesn't mean that you can ignore your obligations as a motorist.
    Ive had my fair share of accidents, mostly with people in cars trying to kill me. But there are alot more cars on the roads than bikes.
    As an advanced rider and driver, i would suggest that you might want to take a look at your driving if you are getting into such situations regularly.
    Mind you, ive had plenty of pedestrians play chicken with me aswell. Im more than happy to give way to anyone, be it a motorist, pedestrian, cyclist etc. But i can feel a bit put out when people are totally unaware of the fact that their not the only ones using the road, no matter who they are, especially when my life is at risk.
    I go back to my point above, your duty is to be careful to other road users regardless of their actions. If you believe your life to be at risk by their (potential) actions, then you should adjust your movements accordingly. Again, I suggest getting training, not necessarily advanced, because such simpe courtesies are the fundamentals of all rules of the road. This applies to bicycles, pedestrians, car drivers, bus drivers, in fact anyone that is in a public place.

I suggest you post your views on cyclists in the cycling forum if you really feel strongly in this regard. Especially tomorrow. Friday's are the best day for these topics. In fact you might feel free to post some supportive views in this thread. The Gardai are well ahead of you it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

none of the respect ???

Road users don't respect other road users - despite what the sandal-wearing Prius owners will bleat at you. Learn to control your surroundings and grow eyes in the back of your head.

Sorry to hear you had a bike/cage interface - please don't give up biking as a result though. Bikers are so scarce that the less of them there are, the worse the cage drivers will get and so its important that you keep biking for all our sakes.

I keep my big shiny bike for bright sunny days and I have an old beater for commuting on - that way if it falls against the side of a cage or gets scratched I don't mind so much. You might find that a smaller, more agile bike suits heavy traffic better too. I have stopped kicking cars as it doesn't help the general image of biking even if the blind biotch *did* pull across me into my lane.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    ....cyclists are more of a f**king danger...

Luckily, I don't encounter heavy traffic often- I don't use the bike to commute.

Having said that, last Sunday, I was traversing a main road roundabout (Lakeview roundabout in Midleton, FYI). I was going straight through and there's these 2 cyclists who are going from my L-R. I watched the first, not look and bumble into the roundabout in a devil-may-care manner. His bloody mate followed suit and nearly ended up in my spokes. I could literally see the whites of his eyes.

For what's wrong with these guys, there's no cure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mattblacktiger

I absolutely know for certain that every myopic twit in a cage is out to kill me.
    So forearmed with that knowledge I ride accordingly , it's amazing what a huge dose of paranoia can do for your riding style and longevity on a bike.
    I also used to carry steel ball bearings which can get a drivers attention really quickly , as in buff that dent out ya prick.
    Now I'm living and riding in the sates but went back to Dublin last year and went to the Bulldog Bash and the behaviour of Dublin drivers is worse than ever , so be careful out there boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I've found on my current machine when filtering that the noise she makes means in general a path is cleared for me about 4 cars ahead. Having said that I am very paranoid about filtering.

My old Fazer 600 just didn't have the same presence and it was filtering that did me in, in the end on her.

Note to self : take it easy on the way home, irony is a biotch.

I also am regularly frustrated at driving standards. I do a lot of round abouts between work and home, and the lack of understanding about how the lanes work is shocking. 2 lanes in and 2 lanes out, does not mean there's opportunity to take a racing line into and out of the junction. Then there's the people who over indicate, on entry they'll indicate right because at that moment they are turning their cage right, then a flick onto the left indicator because they actually intended to to straight through. Meanwhile I'm sitting on the opposite side of the roundabout or forced to stop for no reason. Arrrggh :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Dorsanty wrote: »
    Then there's the people who over indicate, on entry they'll indicate right because at that moment they are turning their cage right, then a flick onto the left indicator because they actually intended to to straight through. Meanwhile I'm sitting on the opposite side of the roundabout or forced to stop for no reason. Arrrggh :mad:

This is one of my biggest bugbears. From talking to some friends over the last couple of years it appears that instructors have started this peculiar practice of indication. Time and time again i come up behind a car indicating right at a roundabout. I think they're turning right so make a move around the outside only for them to flick the indicator left and continue straight on resulting in me hammering the brakes to avoid running into the side of them. It's so feckin' frustrating!!

What's even more annoying is that there's an RSA ad on the tv at the moment showing the correct procedure but i'm still encountering these muppets!:mad:

I'm sorry, but that excuse is not valid. You must always be in a position to stop your vehicle safely in the roadway in any emergency - be it caused by an inanimate object, or another road user. That means that just because someone else does something silly, doesn't mean that you can ignore your obligations as a motorist.

As an advanced rider and driver, i would suggest that you might want to take a look at your driving if you are getting into such situations regularly.

I go back to my point above, your duty is to be careful to other road users regardless of their actions. If you believe your life to be at risk by their (potential) actions, then you should adjust your movements accordingly. Again, I suggest getting training, not necessarily advanced, because such simpe courtesies are the fundamentals of all rules of the road. This applies to bicycles, pedestrians, car drivers, bus drivers, in fact anyone that is in a public place.

I suggest you post your views on cyclists in the cycling forum if you really feel strongly in this regard. Especially tomorrow. Friday's are the best day for these topics. In fact you might feel free to post some supportive views in this thread. The Gardai are well ahead of you it seems.

Ive been rear ended 4 times, twice while sitting at traffic lights, once while stopping to allow a gardi car (siren blaring, lights flashin) going throw a junction (lucky id just taken off from the lights and was only going about 10mph, so was the guy behind me, who must have been fast asleep). I also got creamed by a guy who blew a stop sign, and protested that he thought my light was a road side light. Ive been twatted by another car driver making a right turn (illegal one, with single white line), i was on the inside lane and my view was obstructed by traffic to my right, and no i wasnt in a bus lane. And my most recent lack of road sense resulting in an accident, happened while on my way home. Some guy made an illegal u-turn through traffic, which resulted in me t-boning him (ive have no memory what so ever of what happened exactly, surffice to say, he accepted full responsiblity).

Ive done the driver assessment course for my insurance company, and been advised that with a few more hours training, i will be classed as an advanced rider.

Im well aware of my respnsibilty as a road user, hence the fact ive never hit a pedestrian or cyclist thank god (even if they are doing there best to make it happen).

And saying cyclists dont stop for red lights, is a fact of life, not some profound statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
    A thousand times NO.

While I agree that you need to be able to stop your vehicle in an emergency, a cyclist choosing to go through a red light is NOT an emergency.

The cyclist looked at the red light, and made a decision - how is that my fault/problem?

Stop this 'blaming someone else for your decision'.

I am sick of driver doing stupid things on the roads, and then saying things like - you should be able to stop, you should look out for me, etc.

• Advertisement

P.C. wrote: »
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
    A thousand times NO.

While I agree that you need to be able to stop your vehicle in an emergency, a cyclist choosing to go through a red light is NOT an emergency.

The cyclist looked at the red light, and made a decision - how is that my fault/problem?
    emergency noun (emergencies) 1 an unexpected and serious happening which calls for immediate and determined action.

How does one as a motorist differentiate between a cyclist going through a red light (which presumably the motorist sees at the last second) and a child running out between parked cars?

I agree completely that circumstances illustrated above are not the fault of the driver, merely that one should be sufficiently aware of them and the predominant circumstances in which they occur.

As an actual advanced driver, rather than one who "with a bit of training should be able to reach that grade", I can tell you now, for a fact, that when driving through the city I look out more for cyclists breaking lights than children running in the street. In housing estates the balance is reversed, and on the open road, substitute vehicles pulling out from between hedgerows, animals and other localised hazards.

I fully respect that I am going to be at fault, so I make sure that I am not put in that position, or if I do extend further into the risk zone, I will not be blaming the cyclist/child/tractor for imposing on my right to proceed at what I deemed to be safe, which it clearly wasn't in the event of any accident.

However, I also fully respect that accidents will happen, as experienced by K-Tric and StinkyMunkey in their rear ending incidents. I have no issue with blame in these cases, I am merely taking issue with the "cyclist suddenly went through a red light" or "car suddenly did a u-turn in front of me" - events that through foresight, planning and applying 'the system of motorcycle control' should minimise.

How does one as a motorist differentiate between a cyclist going through a red light (which presumably the motorist sees at the last second) and a child running out between parked cars?

I agree completely that circumstances illustrated above are not the fault of the driver, merely that one should be sufficiently aware of them and the predominant circumstances in which they occur.

As an actual advanced driver, rather than one who "with a bit of training should be able to reach that grade", I can tell you now, for a fact, that when driving through the city I look out more for cyclists breaking lights than children running in the street. In housing estates the balance is reversed, and on the open road, substitute vehicles pulling out from between hedgerows, animals and other localised hazards.

I fully respect that I am going to be at fault, so I make sure that I am not put in that position, or if I do extend further into the risk zone, I will not be blaming the cyclist/child/tractor for imposing on my right to proceed at what I deemed to be safe, which it clearly wasn't in the event of any accident.

However, I also fully respect that accidents will happen, as experienced by K-Tric and StinkyMunkey in their rear ending incidents. I have no issue with blame in these cases, I am merely taking issue with the "cyclist suddenly went through a red light" or "car suddenly did a u-turn in front of me" - events that through foresight, planning and applying 'the system of motorcycle control' should minimise.

So, how do I differentiate between a cyclist going through a red light and a child running out between parked cars?
    - I look ahead of me, and I see.

As a road user, cyclists and pedestrians NEED to be aware of the rules of the road, and OBEY them.

Try and do that sh1t in other countries (like Germany) and see what happens.
    Today I watched a pedestrian walk out in front of a que of cars, just as the lights turned green for them.
    - was it 'unexpected' by the cars? NO!
    - was it stupid of the pedestrian to do this? YES!

Why should I have too look out for idiots making stupid decision?

I think this is spiriling out of control a bit, as I think we are all on the same side here. However, to answer your question above, the releveant sections in the Road Traffic Act, have to do with Driving with due care and attention and particularly having regard for more vulnerable road users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Because people are idiots and it will save your life. I agree with Nereid, a large proportion of accidents happen because of a lack of foresight and observation. You can minimize the risk to yourself but never eliminate it.

The "person did a illegal U-turn and I hit them because of it" is a easy one to point out the flaw in(please don't take offense to this).

To do a illegal u turn you at first need to move your wheel to lock or close to it while turning your head in the direction you want to travel(natural human reaction), then engage clutch and then accelerate. This is not a instantaneous process. A truly observant driver would notice these tell tale signs and take appropriate action.

I would suggest tailing a cop biker one day and look at how he positions himself and where he is looking at all times. They have most of these good practices ingrained in them at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

I would suggest tailing a cop biker one day and look at how he positions himself and where he is looking at all times. They have most of these good practices ingrained in them at this stage.

So that'll be..bus-lane, leggy blonde school girl, mc'donalds, more bus lane, lunch,more school girls,possible stop for a smoke and a word with the twat that's been following him all day.., more bus lane, home...................:p

I think this is spiriling out of control a bit, as I think we are all on the same side here. However, to answer your question above, the releveant sections in the Road Traffic Act, have to do with Driving with due care and attention and particularly having regard for more vulnerable road users.
    Because people are idiots and it will save your life. I agree with Nereid, a large proportion of accidents happen because of a lack of foresight and observation. You can minimize the risk to yourself but never eliminate it.

The "person did a illegal U-turn and I hit them because of it" is a easy one to point out the flaw in(please don't take offense to this).

To do a illegal u turn you at first need to move your wheel to lock or close to it while turning your head in the direction you want to travel(natural human reaction), then engage clutch and then accelerate. This is not a instantaneous process. A truly observant driver would notice these tell tale signs and take appropriate action.

You have both totaly missed the point that I am trying to make.

Why are certain sections of road users excluded/above the rules of the road?

I know that cars and motorbikes sometimes do not stop for red lights, and check acordingly when going through a junction, etc.

BUT (and here is the point) - if they hit me when they go through a red light, they are at fault.
    Yes, I know that I should have looked, and stoped, etc , etc, etc

BUT - if a bicycle or pedestrian breaks a red light, and hits me - I am to blaim. :confused:

When are pedestrians going to learn to wait for the green man before they cross the road?
    When are cyclists going to learn to stop if the lights are red?

Thank you so very much for that link, its just as well you posted it for me, because after 13 years of biking i had no idea of how to ride my bike.

"car suddenly did u-turn in front of me" - glad u could break that down into one simple comment for me, with zero knowledge of the accident. The car in question came through traffic without stopping into my lane, i had no warning or no chance to anticipate his actions. I wasnt speeding or filtering. Through no fault of my own, or my ability as a driver did i or could i have prevented the accident. Nice to know you take issue with the accident which put me out of work for 2 months recovering, the physio was a real blast.

And yes, i can take the moral high ground, there are alot more tards on bicycles than motorbikes. Ive have also spent most my life on bicycles (since i was 5 years old to be exact), i spent years cycling to work before i purchased my first motorbike. I look around me today at people on bicycles, and think "omg, these people are lunatics". And with the new grab a bike and cycle it to another bike rack feature added to town, i sit at traffic lights or am driving around town feeling totally bemused, wondering how these people make it home in one piece.

I live in a large estate, and day after day, watch feckin idiots drive around it like their private race track.

Contrary to what you may think, us lesser drivers (not the real advanced ones) do actually manage to drive safetly and with due care and attention. So remove yourself from your high horse, and dont be so quick to point out others faults, when they simply state just how many idiots there are out there with little or no road sense (be it car, bike, bicycle etc).

I try to the best of my ability to anticipate others actions while driving. I drive defensively like i was taught. I dont play chicken with other road users. I have and will make mistakes. And i dont need some eejit pointing out simple road sense like i started driving a bike yesterday.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thank you so very much for that link, its just as well you posted it for me, because after 13 years of biking i had no idea of how to ride my bike.

I rate the amount of time driving to how good I am at it.
    "car suddenly did u-turn in front of me" - glad u could break that down into one simple comment for me, with zero knowledge of the accident. The car in question came through traffic without stopping into my lane, i had no warning or no chance to anticipate his actions. I wasnt speeding or filtering. Through no fault of my own, or my ability as a driver did i or could i have prevented the accident. Nice to know you take issue with the accident which put me out of work for 2 months recovering, the physio was a real blast.

I'm unwilling to look at the possibility that I might have avoided the accident. Feel sympathy for me.
    And yes, i can take the moral high ground, there are alot more tards on bicycles than motorbikes. Ive have also spent most my life on bicycles (since i was 5 years old to be exact), i spent years cycling to work before i purchased my first motorbike. I look around me today at people on bicycles, and think "omg, these people are lunatics". And with the new grab a bike and cycle it to another bike rack feature added to town, i sit at traffic lights or am driving around town feeling totally bemused, wondering how these people make it home in one piece.

I've done things, therefore I am great at them. Excuses for why I might crash.
    I live in a large estate, and day after day, watch feckin idiots drive around it like their private race track.

Excuses for why I might crash.
    Contrary to what you may think, us lesser drivers (not the real advanced ones) do actually manage to drive safetly and with due care and attention. So remove yourself from your high horse, and dont be so quick to point out others faults, when they simply state just how many idiots there are out there with little or no road sense (be it car, bike, bicycle etc).

I'd like to remain ignorant about actual advanced driving techniques. So instead I'm going to attack you. Excuses for why I might crash.
    I try to the best of my ability to anticipate others actions while driving. I drive defensively like i was taught. I dont play chicken with other road users. I have and will make mistakes. And i dont need some eejit pointing out simple road sense like i started driving a bike yesterday. :cool:

How long I have been driving equates to how good I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

I completely agree with you. I only started riding again about 2 weeks ago after 13 years (in a car, since being on a bike) and the number of bicyclists and pedestrians who lazily wander across my path, turn to glance at me when I blow the horn, and then simply swagger their hips more as they meander their fuzzy way further is astounding. It's like the notion of them that getting the f**k out of the way of a lighter vehicle on the road convinces them that they're Mick Jagger. Bah, humbug!

• Advertisement

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    I completely agree with you. I only started riding again about 2 weeks ago after 13 years (in a car, since being on a bike) and the number of bicyclists and pedestrians who lazily wander across my path, turn to glance at me when I blow the horn, and then simply swagger their hips more as they meander their fuzzy way further is astounding. It's like the notion of them that getting the f**k out of the way of a lighter vehicle on the road convinces them that they're Mick Jagger. Bah, humbug!

For some reason, i get the impression that people think if they get hit with a bike it wont hurt as much as being hit by a car. Tbh, i dont bother much with the horn anymore, ive accepted the fact that there is an enormous amount of idiots out there who love playing russian roulette with traffic.

Advertisement