Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpets?

• 29-04-2010 9:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭

So now that I'm getting married in 6 months I have decided to take the final step with mrs ziedth and kit out the house in new carpets.

It's something I know nothing about now. Any suggestions where to go?

All help welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

That carpet factory place opposite woodys (on the smiths side) is having a closing down sale. Its in there beside a fireplace place??lol and a fishing place. It was in the Waterford Today the last few weeks. Says all reasonable offers considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

best piece of advice i can give you...

buy the best underlay possible....

it is better to have a cheap carpet on great underlay than an expensive carpet on cheap underlay....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Tell Gary Wyse that you'd give him a vote next time around to get the ball rolling :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Place down in Johnstown there, cant think of the name. Their slogan is "It will pay you to find me". Ill think of the name later and post it ;P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Cheers lads,

got quoted just over 2.5k earlier. I think they thought I was some hick from the country. Seemed a bit steep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Sully wrote: »
    Place down in Johnstown there, cant think of the name. Their slogan is "It will pay you to find me". Ill think of the name later and post it ;P

Michael Crowe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

AdMMM wrote: »
    Tell Gary Wyse that you'd give him a vote next time around to get the ball rolling :)

Got carpets, lino and flooring for the kitchen from Gary Wyse last year and I have to say we're pretty disappointed. The carpets weren't laid the best so we had to get them back out again. Since then, they've come pretty loose in parts. Really not the best.

The flooring we got laid in the kitchen bubbled up in parts which he then tried to blame on a few different things. Getting it re-done in a while and won't be going back to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 obscurething

We got our carpets in O'Toole Carpets on Morrisons Road - not a very pretty show room but the same carpets for alot cheaper than elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Theres a few lads in shirts always calling around to me, i keep telling im not interested in their lovely carpet but they talk so fast i dont think they can hear me, they certainly dont work for me I donk know why they keep calling me their boss.
    Il be sure to tell them your interested!!

however
    You could always buy the carpet and get some lad to put it down as a nixer im sure someone on boards might know one.
    It might work out cheeper that way just a thought! did they give you a break down or just an overall price?
    You could always pit them against each other, tell each you got a better quote in the other place they might knock a few bob off that way.
    Id imagine most carpet places arent doing to good at the moment and need the business....advantage you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Definitely recommend Michael Crowe. I bought carpets for 2 houses from him and I intend getting more soon. The carpet fitters he gets to fit the carpets is excellent. Very tidy finish. I think he has a sale on at the minute as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,685 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You can approach carpeting two ways. Buy cheap and replace frequently or buy top quality and get more years out of it.

If you have small children and there is a chance of significant spillages etc you might be better off the go the first route.

Try and get carpet with some wool in it, 80-20 wool to synthetic is usually considered good.

I got a patterned carpet that was put on the stairs over 20 years ago, and it has not worn through anywhere. It was a 80 -20 special made in Scotland that had been made up to use yarn, though I particularly liked the pattern.

Avoid that very plain velvet finish carpet, no matter how good it is it will shade and show every mark. There is some very good wool carpet available on a felt back which is not too expensive and wears very well. It is great for bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

Don't have a clue about prices but theres About Flooring on the Six Crossroads too.
    Great Deal carpets are on the 6 xrds too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Connor's.The Bridge o Ross. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

i'm thinking of replacing mine in the bedroom and the stairs/landing as the kids have taken their toll on them..any idea a rough allpark what i would be looking for if i was to get something in the lower price range?

ps:sorry for the thread hog:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

That carpet place across from Lidl/Woodies on the Tramore road is having a closing down sale - no reasonable offer refused apparently. It's in this weeks Waterford Today.

Advertisement