Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

camping satellite dish from lidl

Options
  • 29-04-2010 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

i just got the portable camping satellite dish from lidl for 89.99 ...is it any good and does anybody have any tips for setup , i not very good with tech stuff.... tanx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

DVD2009 wrote: »
    i just got the portable camping satellite dish from lidl for 89.99 ...is it any good and does anybody have any tips for setup , i not very good with tech stuff.... tanx.

Hiya,

its not bad, reasonable for Astra 28.2. It will pick up the majority of stations (unencrypted) such as BBC's and ITVS as well as 5 and Ch 4. Best way to align the dish is to point it in roughly the same direction as the other dishes in your area and then use the built in satellite meter to align. Its tricky enough but you'll get there. The mount for the dish is quite weak and will move in strong winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Wont be great in bad weather, dish is too small.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

^ As snaps said the dish is far too small for permanent use, it is ok on fine dry days for astra 28 and a few of the stronger transponders on Hotbird 13 and Astra 19 but thats about it. The box itself is a nice little FTA receiver but for €89.99 is an expensive one and there are far better receivers on the market for that money. The three year warranty is a bonus though.

I had one of these roughly around 2006 and swapped it for the other LIDL package with the Sl65 and bigger dish as the mount was also too unstable in the camping kit. At the end of the day it is fine for camping with a camper or caravan but it is also difficult to align them if you don't know your stuff. I was in my local LIDL this morning at 08.05am as I was after the Inverter and the place was jammers but thankfully I got my inverter and the crowd was primarily middle aged women who were after cut price potting flowers and plants LIDL had on sale.

I remember reading a while back when the LIDL kits were all the rage (05-08) that some guy in Tipperary got a heart-attack in the mad rush in the door in the morning to get one! Fistfights broke out in Dublin over who got to the last one another time also. Oh how things have changed since the tiger was slayed.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

It's not worth €89.99 to be honest bring it back to Lidl as the dish is way to small and if you do manage to get a signal it wont last in a good wind. There are better satellite systems available nowadays for around the same price like this one http://satellite.ie/acatalog/Freesat_DIY_satellite_systems.html
    or this http://www.freesat.ie/index.php?cat=Free-to-air

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or slight drizzle.
    These are for France/Germany, in good weather to pickup the local TV (not BBC/Sky).

Ireland needs bigger dish than London, even for Sky.

It's been said before, many times here by experts. Don't buy these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DVD2009

well it took 5 mins to get dish set up and clamped to roof , lucky a previous owner had dish up there at some stage and it was wired down to tv cabinate already , pluged it in powered it on and did what M5 said and checked the direction of other dishes. I got the bbc's , itv's ,film 4, sky news and a learn chineese station . Why cant i get rte or tv ? ....please dont get too technical .....tanx.:confused: also the compass thing i got didnt seem to make any sense ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

well it took 5 mins to get dish set up and clamped to roof , lucky a previous owner had dish up there at some stage and it was wired down to tv cabinate already , pluged it in powered it on and did what M5 said and checked the direction of other dishes. I got the bbc's , itv's ,film 4, sky news and a learn chineese station . Why cant i get rte or tv ? ....please dont get too technical .....tanx.:confused: also the compass thing i got didnt seem to make any sense ...?

RTE is not free to air...this picks up free to air channels only.

Only way to get RTE from satellite is to pay for a Sky subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

RTE - TG4 - TV3 Only with a S£££££Y package.
    They are not free to air like BBC-ITV ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

does antbody know anyone who could set up one of these ,its in D3(doneycarney)?how much roughly would it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I know a few lads who could do this for you, if you are stuck

Also there are a few on adverts who advertised their services. Domel for instance!!

• Advertisement

eamonnq wrote: »
    I know a few lads who could do this for you, if you are stuck

Also there are a few on adverts who advertised their services. Domel for instance!!

Make sure they have the proper equipment to carry out an install and pay PL insurance and Income tax. But to be honest he will find it hard to get a Installer in the Trade to install a cheapo satellite kit that was bought in Aldi/Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

scaller wrote: »
    Make sure they have the proper equipment to carry out an install and pay PL insurance and Income tax. But to be honest he will find it hard to get a Installer in the Trade to install a cheapo satellite kit that was bought in Aldi/Lidl.

The people I would be talking about are installers and will install it for you if you need. They have the proper equipment, insurance and do pay income tax!!

As I said there are also some installers that advertise their services on adverts.ie that might do it also.

http://www.adverts.ie/204230/home-services/satellite-and-aerial-installation-repairs-tv-wall-mounting/

http://www.adverts.ie/169679/construction-and-tradesmen/satellite-installer/page-2/#poststart

http://www.adverts.ie/75301/other-services/satellite-dish-installer/

as well as a few others.

eamonnq wrote: »
    The people I would be talking about are installers and will install it for you if you need. They have the proper equipment, insurance and do pay income tax!!

As I said there are also some installers that advertise their services on adverts.ie that might do it also.

[

I am making a point to the OP to be sure that any installer he gets have the proper Equipment pays taxes and has PL insurance. At the moment there is to many BOB the builders and Bright sparks going around this country doing cheap installs and Undercutting guys in the Tv Trade. MY post is not directed at you. Any decent installer who pays his way in the Trade will not touch a Lidl/Aldi satellite kit and there is many Installers that will not install a system that was not bought from them in the firstplace.

Advertisement