Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to shut up Stirling!

• 29-04-2010 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

I see SIR Stirling Moss has been mouthing off again. He thinks Schumi was overrated BEFORE he retired.

How many world championships did Moss win? Oh yeah none.

And they call Moss the greatest driver that never won the world championship. What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Himself and that whining knob Jackie Stewart should be permanently put out to pasture.

Anyway, rant over. Carry on.

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/news/latest-news/Moss-Schumacher-past-it-and-damaging-his-achievements/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Ficus wrote: »
    I have the up most respect for Moss and his achievements but i think he is rapidly becoming like an old relative at a family get together that everyone tolerates but don't really pay any attention to.

Couldn't have put it better myself.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Unfortunately the older he gets the more outspoken, he's rapidly becoming the Nell McCafferty of F1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Just be glad he hasn't been offered the driver steward gig :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

He can talk some rubbish that man. does like to have his say on most matters F1, but then again so do all ex sports stars in relation the their own sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I like Stirling Moss, but like most former drivers, he doesn't really seem to understand modern-day F1. Niki Lauda is the same. And Jackie Stewart. Stick a microphone in front of them and they talk crap. It's a totally different sport nowadays, and a lot of the ex-drivers are far less well-informed than the average fan.

The idea that Schumacher is "damaging his achievements" is frankly laughable. Even if he is "past it" (which probably isn't completely true - his biggest problem is that he loves a sharp, oversteery car, but is struggling with one which was designed around someone who likes an impossible amount of understeer), one season skirting around the mid-field is not going to harm his reputation one bit. When people think of Nigel Mansell, do they picture a bloated sack of lard being shoe-horned into the '95 McLaren, or his glory years in the Williams? I'm sure his ill-fated comeback was embarrassing at the time, but it certainly didn't harm his long-term reputation.

In other sports, it's perfectly acceptable for participants to continue until they're well past their best. Steve Davis is a perfect example of that. Twenty-five years ago, he was devastated to get beaten in the final of the Snooker World Championships. This week, he was thrashed by a man half his age, in the quarter final, but looked completely thrilled, as though he had won the whole thing. The fact that he's been struggling through the pre-qualifying rounds of competitions for over a decade hasn't harmed his reputation at all. He just enjoys playing snooker.

Formula One seems to be unique, in that everybody is expected to either permanently remain at their peak (and also to emphasise this by continually doing puff-pieces for F1 Racing, telling us how "focused" and "driven" they are) or retire to protect their perceived "legacy". The likes of Moss are incredulous to the idea that - when/if Mercedes give Schumacher a car which suits his driving style - he might just want to continue driving because he enjoys doing it.

What was it that Ayrton Senna said...?

"The past is just numbers to me"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

RayM wrote: »
    When people think of Nigel Mansell, do they picture a bloated sack of lard being shoe-horned into the '95 McLaren, or his glory years in the Williams?
    rofl
    or crashing a touring car and getting knocked out at donington

never cared for schumi i his glory days even less so now, the further down the grid the better for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

RayM wrote: »
    a bloated sack of lard being shoe-horned into the '95 McLaren

:D brilliant :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I probably have a higher opinion of Mansell than most people do, if he came back again I'd still recognise what a great driver he was. 4 races in 94, two retirements, a fourth and a win. Actually it is a pity he came back in 95. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

I remember when the Prost team was going down the tubes a few years ago everyone was ssaying it wa an awful shame that such a great driver as prost would now be remembered as a failed team boss rather than a great champion. Don't agree with that at al. Whenever i see prost's name now i think of the battles with Senna at Mclaren. Shame his team went but thats not his legacy.

I think schumi will be the same. Even if this comeback doesn't work out too well he'll still be remembered for all his past successes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

What ever schuey does or does not achieve in the car dis season will not take away from the fact he was the sports greatest talent. Never had anytime for moss or stewart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

F1 is different to the likes of football in that if say a once great defender tries to continue on too long he could cost his team results, and the fans will turn on him. In F1, if a once great driver tries to continue on too long they just tend to run around the middle/back of the field and noone really notices them. I dont think they do themselves any harm in doing this, except maybe needlessly heightening the risk of serious injury.

I have never been a huge fan of Schumacher, but only a fool would fail to realise what he achieved in the sport, and as mediocre as this season has been for him so far (up until the last race anyway) I dont think he has done much to damage his reputation. Most people who have watched this season realise he is driving a car that does not suit him, and for the first time in a very long time he is not in a team and car that is designed entirely around him, and Im sure its taking him time to adjust to that.

Im not sure Schumacher will feature much in the championship, but I wouldnt be surprised if he won a race this season, and could it be argued that that would be as big an achievement as some of the other things he has done in the sport...?

Advertisement