Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to build a core i7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I just picked up a hd5870 and kingston 64gb ssd from peats. Would I need to inscrease the powersupply above 650watt now? Heard these cards are alot better than the 4series power consumption wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

No, that PSU should be fine. You might as well stick with the i7 920. The 930 isn't worth the marginal cost.
    Your link for RAM doesn't work.

Here's a simple power supply calculator:
    http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

The result of course assumes you have a decent one like corsair.

Monotype wrote: »
    No, that PSU should be fine. You might as well stick with the i7 920. The 930 isn't worth the marginal cost.
    Your link for RAM doesn't work.

Here's a simple power supply calculator:
    http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

The result of course assumes you have a decent one like corsair.

This is another link for the ram, will pick it up while am in germany http://www.epmedia-elmshorn.de/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=6254&category_id=378&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=204
    I was looking at a few reviews of the 930 and it seems to be a 920 do stepping with slight changes to it. Its supposed to be a better overclocker, able to get 4.4ghz where the do gets 4.06. I had the do but sold my pc recently as needed cash for college so would definately want another do or 930.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

deceit wrote: »
    This is another link for the ram, will pick it up while am in germany http://www.epmedia-elmshorn.de/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=6254&category_id=378&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=204
    I was looking at a few reviews of the 930 and it seems to be a 920 do stepping with slight changes to it. Its supposed to be a better overclocker, able to get 4.4ghz where the do gets 4.06. I had the do but sold my pc recently as needed cash for college so would definately want another do or 930.
    ram is cheaper here in dublin http://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/ddr3ram/6gboczpc310666platinumtriplekitcl7.html you can pick it up free no delivery in dublin

massy086 wrote: »
    ram is cheaper here in dublin http://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/ddr3ram/6gboczpc310666platinumtriplekitcl7.html you can pick it up free no delivery in dublin
    Nice Thanks for the heads up will pick it up from there as thats a good saving can put towards something else :D

• Advertisement

Picked up the cpu so only looking for the motherboard now.

I finally finished this pc and just wondering for the 930 would idle temps of 33c and and max temps of 45c be about right for an artic freezer pro? Just wondering as unsure wheter should overclock with it or try convince myself better off with watercooling.
    The final build consisted of these:
    I7 930
    P6X58D-E X58 Motherboard
    6Gb Ddr 3 Triple Channel ram OCZ pc1333 cl7
    HD5870 Graphics Card
    Artic Freezer Pro 7 Rev. 2
    64Gb Kingston SSD
    Cooler Master Haf 932 Case
    Dvd Sata Drive
    Windows 7 Premium
    Mx610 Left Hand Wireless Mouse
    Razer Lachesis 4000Dpi Mouse
    Apple Aluminium Keyboard
    28" Hanns-G 1920*1200 Lcd
    Fatality Headset

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Hornd

My i5 with the AC Pro 7 would be about the same temps.

The real question is how much do you want to OC! Sub 3.5 and I wouldn't bother. More and break out your hoses!

Hornd wrote: »
    My i5 with the AC Pro 7 would be about the same temps.

The real question is how much do you want to OC! Sub 3.5 and I wouldn't bother. More and break out your hoses!

Think i7's stay alot cooler when overclocking until over 4ghz right? These chips are supposed to get 4.2-4.4ghz with a good overclock. My i7 920 was at 4ghz with stable temps. Think might just try it and see how i get on and if stay good at around 4 will try improve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 wli

lukin for a mobo deceit, you can have the broken mobo you sold me back, this deceit guy will not answer any message txt or pirate message, aft he sold me an faulty mobo, imstill waitin deceit and i will not give up on this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Hornd

On closer inspection you may be able to get to 4 with just the AC 7 Pro but if I was doing it I'd personally want something a little more beefier but thats just me!

The 920s are getting to 3.8-4 so should be grand.

I sold you a motherboard that you only stated was faulty after you wanted me to send parts to you that where left out of the box. I offered to meet up to give them to you, you declined, then you stated there was a fault and wanted the board returned, I dont believe there was a fault but offered a full refund. I spent a little over a week trying to organise for you to meet, everytime you would say your relative would call me and you refused to give me there number (I think you where messing me about because i wouldnt send the items at my cost, which i got you to check the box and see where you happy with), twice i was left waiting at liffey valley because of this. I gave you notice after this that i will give you one last chance to organise a meet up and if you declined I would not deal with you anymore. You did not contact me. If you have any futher probelms go speak in the adverts complaints section as I will be refusing to deal with you until then.
    Edit:
    I apologise for this being off topic.

Hornd wrote: »
    On closer inspection you may be able to get to 4 with just the AC 7 Pro but if I was doing it I'd personally want something a little more beefier but thats just me!

The 920s are getting to 3.8-4 so should be grand.
    Yea hornd The co's where usually able to get to 3.8 with volts and the do stepping usually got to 4ghz easy :). The 930 is really just a 920 do with a standard increase in mhz but from what people are saying they are able to get them up to 4.4 on air so must be some tweaks to the chip from the original do's.

Advertisement