Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

METEOR WANTED €300 Deposit TO SIGN UP

Options
  • 29-04-2010 11:12am

Hi there, Apologies if this is the wrong place to post.

I signed up to Meteor's Bill pay Smart €35.00 PM package and purchased the HTC Desire. When I filled out the online form I clicked on unemployed seeking work. Big mistake, the next day I got a phone call from Meteor saying they wanted €300.00 deposit or they will have to cancel the order! I was speechless, I asked them why and they did not even have the balls to tell me direct it was because I was unemployed! They said I should write to Meteor and ask them why.

I find that a totally disgraceful way to treat any potential customer. I thought it better to be honest while filling out the online form, now I know I was wrong to do so. There are 436000+ unemployed in Ireland, are they going to turn away everyone that's unemployed? of course they didn't refuse to sign me up, just asked for nearly a years rental up front! Now out of principle I would NOT pay them!

Surely if my money is good enough for 3, it's good enough for Meteor? I never had any problems with bills and always pay on time, small mortgage, and manage my finances very well and don't spend much. I have been working since I left school and have enough saved up to see me through this recession. What an Insult, I'm fuming. And worst of all they don't say if you are unemployed that they will need a deposit, oh NO they are very sneaky about it Indeed!!!

Okay rant over, just beware what to expect if anyone is unemployed and seeking to go on Meteor bill pay. I will never even consider Meteor ever again after that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Its all about covering the risk of you defaulting and not paying your bills. Being unemployed obviously makes the chances of this happening more likely because you have less income.

I wouldn't take it so personally

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

you could ask them if you'll get the 300euro back when you prove to them you've got a job.

John_Mc wrote: »
    Its all about covering the risk of you defaulting and not paying your bills. Being unemployed obviously makes the chances of this happening more likely because you have less income.

I wouldn't take it so personally

Not at all I have more than enough funds available to pay the full year up front if I wanted, but out of principle I wouldn't. Don't they do some kind of credit check before thay actually approve you?

Just because someone is unemployed doesn't actually mean they won't be able to pay the bill. Someone could be working and have an increadable amount of bills that they struggle to pay, credit card bills that intrest mounts up on etc, so really I don't actually agree with that "because unemployed makes it more likely I might not be able to pay the bill".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its not a customer service issue to be honest, your unemployed your obviously not exactly the ideal customer who can be guaranteed a good regular income (your job seeker credits could run out for example). They also don't know how much job seekers allowance your getting or if your getting any.

Personally I think your insane getting a bill pay phone if your unemployed,

I get where your coming from saying that just because your unemployed doesn't mean you can't meet your bills but statistically your not ideal at the end of the day.....try getting loans, credit cards and mortgages while your unemployed you likely won't have much luck either and imho rightly so.

DonalN wrote: »
    you could ask them if you'll get the 300euro back when you prove to them you've got a job.

Hi Donal, They said I would get it back after 7 months. But I really don't want Meteor that bad! In fact it makes three seem better to me now even if their network is crap! I think I shall go to Vodafone after all I do have a phoneline and broadband package with them, And I need a network that's reliable!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Not at all I have more than enough funds available to pay the full year up front if I wanted, but out of principle I wouldn't. Don't they do some kind of credit check before thay actually approve you?

A credit check will only be a part of it, and a credit check won't show what savings you may have. They'll also take your current circumstance into account before approving you.
    Just because someone is unemployed doesn't actually mean they won't be able to pay the bill. Someone could be working and have an increadable amount of bills that they struggle to pay, credit card bills that intrest mounts up on etc, so really I don't actually agree with that "because unemployed makes it more likely I might not be able to pay the bill".

In general though, it does mean exactly that. They're not going to give an expensive subsidised phone to someone that has no job. Even if you had a job, you still wouldn't be guaranteed it, and working people get refused credit (which is what this is) all the time, based on their circumstances.

You can't take it personally, all you can do is take your money elsewhere.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

because unemployed makes it more likely I might not be able to pay the bill.

But being unemployed does pose a bigger risk for the company. It is more likey that you won't be able to pay the bill as compared to someone who works. you may have the money but how do they know that for certain? They don't know your circumstances, they are covering themselves which they have a right to do.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its not a customer service issue to be honest, your unemployed your obviously not exactly the ideal customer who can be guaranteed a good regular income (your job seeker credits could run out for example). They also don't know how much job seekers allowance your getting or if your getting any.

Personally I think your insane getting a bill pay phone if your unemployed,

I get where your coming from saying that just because your unemployed doesn't mean you can't meet your bills but statistically your not ideal at the end of the day.....try getting loans, credit cards and mortgages while your unemployed you likely won't have much luck either and imho rightly so.

Hi cabaal. I'm not looking for a loan of a few thousand euros, i have a credit card already that I bought the phone with in the first place, and went straight to the online banking and paid it off! And I already have a phone contract with three and have been on bill pay for years.

People have got loans and credit cards while working and not been able to pay them back, so really i don't get the "sta
    tistically not ideal" if they did a credit check they will find I never missed a single payment for any bill in my entire life! And if i was not paying bills then I COULD understand.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hi cabaal. I'm not looking for a loan of a few thousand euros, i have a credit card already that I bought the phone with in the first place, and went straight to the online banking and paid it off! And I already have a phone contract with three and have been on bill pay for years.

People have got loans and credit cards while working and not been able to pay them back, so really i don't get the "sta
    tistically not ideal" if they did a credit check they will find I never missed a single payment for any bill in my entire life! And if i was not paying bills then I COULD understand.

In know what your saying and it sounds like you have cop on when it comes to your finances especially if your paying off things on your credit cards straight away.

Meteor's policy isn't some sort of personal attack directly solely at you, they are at the end of the day covering their arse against the much stronger likelyhood of a unemployed person not paying a debt versus a employed person.

Cabaal wrote: »
    In know what your saying and it sounds like you have cop on when it comes to your finances especially if your paying off things on your credit cards straight away.

Meteor's policy isn't some sort of personal attack directly solely at you, they are at the end of the day covering their arse against the much stronger likelyhood of a unemployed person not paying a debt versus a employed person.

I don't think many other companies are doing that though? I have not heard of it. Companies can't really afford to be turning away customers. Good on Meteor if they can!

Sure there are lots of things I would like to be able to buy but can't atm, I can keep myself a float until I get a job. I only wanted a poxy phone. If they had only stated that they wanted a deposit before anyone applies, I never would have bothered. It's not fair to treat people like that, no matter the reason!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I recently bought the same phone, ended up paying a €50 deposit.

Far as I know they use two parameters.
    One: How long are you in your current job?
    Two: How long are you in your current address, and do you own/rent it?

I've been in my job for over 3 years now, so no penalty there. I do rent however, and have only been at that address for 1.5 years, hence the €50.

OP, if your issue is with the fact that they took your order and charged you before detailing the deposit, then I agree with you. I was informed in-store before purchase, so no hassle there.

If it's the deposit itself or the method for defining the amount of the deposit, I'd say get over it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hi there, Apologies if this is the wrong place to post.

I signed up to Meteor's Bill pay Smart €35.00 PM package and purchased the HTC Desire. When I filled out the online form I clicked on unemployed seeking work. Big mistake, the next day I got a phone call from Meteor saying they wanted €300.00 deposit or they will have to cancel the order! I was speechless, I asked them why and they did not even have the balls to tell me direct it was because I was unemployed! They said I should write to Meteor and ask them why.

I find that a totally disgraceful way to treat any potential customer. I thought it better to be honest while filling out the online form, now I know I was wrong to do so. There are 436000+ unemployed in Ireland, are they going to turn away everyone that's unemployed? of course they didn't refuse to sign me up, just asked for nearly a years rental up front! Now out of principle I would NOT pay them!

Surely if my money is good enough for 3, it's good enough for Meteor? I never had any problems with bills and always pay on time, small mortgage, and manage my finances very well and don't spend much. I have been working since I left school and have enough saved up to see me through this recession. What an Insult, I'm fuming. And worst of all they don't say if you are unemployed that they will need a deposit, oh NO they are very sneaky about it Indeed!!!

Okay rant over, just beware what to expect if anyone is unemployed and seeking to go on Meteor bill pay. I will never even consider Meteor ever again after that.

The bit in bold I don't get, this mentality is madness.

Why not get a cheap PAYG phone, is this not a Luxury that you don't really need. Or better still just buy it Sim Free and then get PAYG.

F*ck sake .. You know the unemployment benefit is a good thing when people are signing up to contracts for luxury smartphones.

Is it possible you didn't pay a bill with someone else (ESB/Gas/Internet?) and now its coming up on your credit rating when Meteor ran you through the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Look - it's quite simple - you're asking for credit when you are unemployed. Any provider (be it a bank or the ESB or Meteor) will look for a more stringent guarantee because *statistically* the odds aren't great with unemployed people.

Stop taking it so personally - they aren't insulting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Happened to me and I'm employed and living with the folks. I'm young enough but that wasn't a factor apperently. I was told they do this randomly and I got hit with the €300 as well, which I had but wouldn't pay. I was told my account was now flagged and any store would see this and I'd have to pay. A day or two latrer I went into meteor on grafton street and tried again, no mention of the €300. so I say try again and you may be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Regina Phalange

Why not get a cheap PAYG phone, is this not a Luxury that you don't really need. Or better still just buy it Sim Free and then get PAYG.

F*ck sake .. You know the unemployment benefit is a good thing when people are signing up to contracts for luxury smartphones.

First off, what business is it of yours if he wants a luxury phone or not? None!

From what I've read, he doesn't mention unemployment benefit... Get off your high horse!

To Mad_Lad - I had to pay the 300 euro about 4 years ago too! I was shocked, but paid it anyway and they put it against my bill after 6 months or so!
    I think its a safety measure to ensure people don't just take up bills on a whim!

I don't think many other companies are doing that though? I have not heard of it. Companies can't really afford to be turning away customers. Good on Meteor if they can!

The cost of a customer running up a bill they can't pay, added to the cost to the network of subsidising the phone, would far out weigh any potential loss of custom from statistically risky customers that wouldn't actually default on payment. No company likes to turn away a potential customer, but it's all about risk management.
    I only wanted a poxy phone. If they had only stated that they wanted a deposit before anyone applies, I never would have bothered. It's not fair to treat people like that, no matter the reason!

They do tell you about deposits up front, in the terms and conditions.
    We can seek an Advance Payment and/or Deposit to enable you to access some or all of the Services or Third Party Services. In addition, pending credit checking, we may seek an Advance Payment and or Deposit to enable you to access the Services or Third Party Services. We may set off such amounts against any amounts due, or will be due, by you to Meteor.

They didn't specifically mention it to you at sign up, because they hadn't done their credit check and vetting yet.

At the end of the day, what have you actually lost? Nothing. This is a non-issue. If you only want a poxy phone, then pick up a pre-pay one for €50 from any network and you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭peejay01

I was asked for the €300 deposit too. It happens to people with varying financial situations: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055884849

I have sent a letter of complaint and am awaiting a reply.

Supposedly a letter of compaint will result in the deposit being waved.

Lets wait and see:confused:

First off, what business is it of yours if he wants a luxury phone or not? None!

From what I've read, he doesn't mention unemployment benefit... Get off your high horse!

To Mad_Lad - I had to pay the 300 euro about 4 years ago too! I was shocked, but paid it anyway and they put it against my bill after 6 months or so!
    I think its a safety measure to ensure people don't just take up bills on a whim!

High horse ..
    I don't have enough digits on my hands to count the amount of people back home i know that are going out spending money like theres no tomorrow even though they've lost their jobs.

The bit in bold I don't get, this mentality is madness.

Is it possible you didn't pay a bill with someone else (ESB/Gas/Internet?) and now its coming up on your credit rating when Meteor ran you through the system.

Typical of the mentality of some people in this country! Do you keithclancy think that all people that are unemployed should not have anything? Just perhaps a tiny bit of food to keep us alive? How dare you. I hope that if you are employed that you don’t find yourself in the same situation! Why do some people that are working think they are above the unemployed, how many working people look down their noses at people in the dole queue like they are scum of the earth. Most people including myself did not choose to be unemployed, I was made redundant because the assholes that run this country made a complete balls of it, including the banks. I did not run out and get a mortgage I would not be able to afford, I got a mortgage thinking that if I lose my job will I be able to keep paying it, even when the bank kept trying to force a car loan on me, I didn’t buy any new cars, have no car loans. The nerve of some people! I have worked 6 days a week for 11 years and am now getting back some of what I paid. It really woke me up as to how some people think of you when you are unemployed. I never thought I would see the day! The begrudgery in this country will never change!

And to answer your question, I have not once ever not payed a single bill on time. All my bills are direct debit always were, and always made sure the money was there. You want to do a credit check on me?

Anyway this is getting out of hand and way off topic, it was not my intention!

Typical of the mentality of some people in this country! Do you keithclancy think that all people that are unemployed should not have anything? Just perhaps a tiny bit of food to keep us alive? How dare you. I hope that if you are employed that you don’t find yourself in the same situation! Why do some people that are working think they are above the unemployed, how many working people look down their noses at people in the dole queue like they are scum of the earth. Most people including myself did not choose to be unemployed, I was made redundant because the assholes that run this country made a complete balls of it, including the banks. I did not run out and get a mortgage I would not be able to afford, I got a mortgage thinking that if I lose my job will I be able to keep paying it, even when the bank kept trying to force a car loan on me, I didn’t buy any new cars, have no car loans. The nerve of some people! I have worked 6 days a week for 11 years and am now getting back some of what I paid. It really woke me up as to how some people think of you when you are unemployed. I never thought I would see the day! The begrudgery in this country will never change!

And to answer your question, I have not once ever not payed a single bill on time. All my bills are direct debit always were, and always made sure the money was there. You want to do a credit check on me?

Anyway this is getting out of hand and way off topic, it was not my intention!

I've no idea what you mean by begrudger, I don't even live in Ireland anymore,

This is basic logic.

No income (besides unemployment benefit), signing up to a contract with minimum monthly outgoing = fail, any business willing to give you a loan (and effectively thats what subsidisation is) would want to have their head examined.

This is the Irish/UK attitude vs the Continental attitude.

If a German loses their job they put all the luxuries on hold and pay off all of their Debts (if they have any at all) and put any additional income into savings for any unexpected debts that arise (underestimated energy bill, council charges etc)

Credit cards aren't even widely used.

Its not begrudgery, its common sense.

• Advertisement

@Mad Lad and keithclancy Please keep it civil and on topic.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

While I agree with Meteor completely, on this matter, I find it strange that o2 gave me an iPhone for no money upfront, and I'm a full-time student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Mad_Lad this is not in any way a credit check by meteor and the other phone companies, it is a statistical analysis of risk attached to you considering your current situation and circumstance. you earn points for certain answers and lose points for others and if your score is too low at the end you may be asked for a deposit of €50 or more.

snappieT wrote: »
    While I agree with Meteor completely, on this matter, I find it strange that o2 gave me an iPhone for no money upfront, and I'm a full-time student.

Indeed! And I know of other students that have mobile contracts, And fair enough if they can pay the bill I don't see why not.

So really what people are syaing is that any unemployed person should not have Esb, board Gais, Sky TV, Ntl, Chorus, council house, mobile phone, land line, broadband, refuse collection, or any other service they might have to pay per month for?

So really what people are syaing is that any unemployed person should not have Esb, board Gais, Sky TV, Ntl, Chorus, council house, mobile phone, land line, broadband, refuse collection, or any other service they might have to pay per month for?

That is not what people are saying. What people are saying is that you may have to pay a premium to avail of credit when you are unemployed.

Many of those service providers do require deposits from some people, for varying reasons. Like all of them, Meteor don't request deposits from everyone, it is done following a credit vetting process if your score is sufficiently low. This has been pointed out quite a few times now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Indeed! And I know of other students that have mobile contracts, And fair enough if they can pay the bill I don't see why not.

i've been in fulltime employment for 8 years and i had to pay a hefty deposit for my gas connection, simply because i was a new tenant in rented accommodation

the company just dont want to run the risk of someone not paying bills/doing a runner

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I work building the statistical cards that are behind these applications (aka application scorecard). I don't work in the phone indutry though. It's very simple, statistics show that unemployed people are high risk and shouldn't be taken on, especially at the moment. It's also a sign of instabilty meaning you are far more likely to run off than someone who's been in their job years. Don't take it personally, it's just stats.

Advertisement