Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Control a simple electronic switch from PC

Options
  • 29-04-2010 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a problem using composite video output via an RF modulator described here (don't bother reading it if you don't want. Just some background to the problem!).

I'd like to control a simple on/off switch on a physical wire from the PC. Anyone done this? Can you advice me on how best to do it?

I'd rather not have to buy any device that plugs into serial ports, etc. If I can get away with making up a serial cable that plugs onto the motherboard serial port and uses 2 pins/wires to make the switch, that would be better.

Cheers,
    Brian

PS - I normally use Java

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You could possibly use Ground and CTS

Set CTS on for the switch on and CTS off for off. With CTS on CTS is high relative to ground CTS off it is equal to ground (or vice versa I'd need to look it up)

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

FSL wrote: »
    You could possibly use Ground and CTS

Set CTS on for the switch on and CTS off for off. With CTS on CTS is high relative to ground CTS off it is equal to ground (or vice versa I'd need to look it up)

Thanks!... but I haven't a clue what you're talking about though :o

What is CTS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

CTS is the clear to send pin

Ground is pin 5 CTS is pin 8

http://www.aggsoft.com/rs232-pinout-cable/serial-cable-connections.htm

You can set CTS on and off using software.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

FSL wrote: »
    CTS is the clear to send pin

Ground is pin 5 CTS is pin 8

http://www.aggsoft.com/rs232-pinout-cable/serial-cable-connections.htm

You can set CTS on and off using software.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'm just looking into how to use the Java Communications API to control serial ports so those pins could be useful when I get the hang of it. I'll probably be back with more questions soon though!

Cheers,
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You'll probably need to buffer the output from CTS PIN to drive a relay coil or something similar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement