Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every thread appearing as unread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I know, but then I'd have to click 2 things instead of one :P Yes, I'm just that lazy...

If it works properly for new posts I'm happy enough...for now...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't understand the change that was made at all. Can we get a more in-depth explanation as to basically "why won't the stars go away?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yes my whole subbed folder is in a jock recently

Came to Feedback to start a thread about it but sure enough, Desmond already has :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The whole thing is fecked for me. The subbed list is completely unreliable. Stars stay next to forum names even when I've read all the new posts, and sometimes stars don't bother appearing when there is new posts. Threads are marked as unread for days if I don't click into them, they don't ever seem to be marked as read when after logging out. Even though I last logged out about an hour ago, I've unread threads in every forum going back to the 29th, when I 'marked all forums read'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Happening for me again now and 'Mark Forums Read', isn't working.

I'm getting a "Security Token Invalid" error when I try and do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

The subbed list (edit: in the menu at the top) should now work as expected.

I'll investigate the other issues tomorrow morning when I'm back in the office.

For the moment at least the subbed list seems OK. Cheers.

Faith wrote: »
    Threads are marked as unread for days if I don't click into them, they don't ever seem to be marked as read when after logging out.

This is the correct behaviour.

The "old" way of marking threads as read was based partly on guesswork, the "new" way actually properly tracks which threads you've read and which you haven't. The history is kept for 10 days, anything older than that is assumed to be read.

I say "old" and "new" because both methods have been in vBulletin for quite a while now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Conor wrote: »
    This is the correct behaviour.

The "old" way of marking threads as read was based partly on guesswork, the "new" way actually properly tracks which threads you've read and which you haven't. The history is kept for 10 days, anything older than that is assumed to be read.

I say "old" and "new" because both methods have been in vBulletin for quite a while now.

Oh I see. Actually, I quite like that! I used hate having to log on to check something quickly, and then having all the threads marked as read when I came back for a leisurely catch up.

Subbed list working fine too, cheers!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I agree much better. I am often logged in on my phone. I used to have to check all subbed threads when logging in on PC after that.
    I'm liking it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Can I just say that this is absolutely fantastic. Gone are the days that I feared logging in because I knew I'd have to read all the forums and threads I'm subbed to in the one sitting for fear they'd be gone if I logged out.

Thanks for this, it's something I've wanted since I joined boards.ie :)

Teething problems aside, this is a real improvement. Fair dues.

Arkctshually... I've just noticed a thread in which I was the last poster showing up as unread, so it's not all fixed after all. Pity.

Arkctshually... I've just noticed a thread in which I was the last poster showing up as unread, so it's not all fixed after all. Pity.

Does this happen every time or sporadically?

(I ask because it hasn't happened to me and the code for marking a thread read/unread is pretty clear and appears to be correct.)

It used to happen maybe once a day before and I only saw it for the first time since the change about two hours ago, and not since.

I thought previously it used to happen when someone voted on a poll after I'd posted, but in this case there was no poll.

It used to happen maybe once a day before and I only saw it for the first time since the change about two hours ago, and not since.

I thought previously it used to happen when someone voted on a poll after I'd posted, but in this case there was no poll.

It could be a timing error. All the machines are kept pretty close together in terms of time, but there's always a chance that one will drift enough (temporarily) to cause a brief period where the time on two machines, rounded to the nearest second will differ.

For info, I screenshot it this time and haven't opened the thread again since:
    http://yfrog.com/62postreadj

image tags not working on feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

My UserCP is still not marking threads as read. Is there a fix for this?

My UserCP is still not marking threads as read. Is there a fix for this?

Have you marked all forums as read since the changeover? That's a very useful thing to do to flush out any remaining weirdness.

The threads in my UserCP mark correctly, so I'm guessing it's an issue with your account somewhere.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Have you marked all forums as read since the changeover? That's a very useful thing to do to flush out any remaining weirdness.

The threads in my UserCP mark correctly, so I'm guessing it's an issue with your account somewhere.

As a few people have pointed out throughout the thread UserCP thread list is not working as it was before the change. It used to work as subscribed threads, now it doesn't. It only shows new threads. The old way of showing all subscribed threads, but only bolding ones with new posts ones was much better.

The new posts check doesn't appear to be reliable especially in fast moving thread.

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    As a few people have pointed out throughout the thread UserCP thread list is not working as it was before the change. It used to work as subscribed threads, now it doesn't. It only shows new threads. The old way of showing all subscribed threads, but only bolding ones with new posts ones was much better.

This is a different issue to threads being marked read or not, but I'll see if it's possible to make it fake the old system.
    The new posts check doesn't appear to be reliable especially in fast moving thread.

Can you give a concrete example? Is it that a thread that should be marked as unread is marked as read or the reverse?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

This is a different issue to threads being marked read or not, but I'll see if it's possible to make it fake the old system.

subsrcibed threads still does what usercp used to if thats any good?
    Can you give a concrete example? Is it that a thread that should be marked as unread is marked as read or the reverse?

I had one with a soccer thread earlier, I'd just read it and it dissapeared from my usercp but 2 people had posted in it not long (a couple of minutes)after I read it. It didn't reappear in my user cp list until a thrid person posted 30 mins or so later.

Sorry its not exact but it looks like it can be a bit off it working out when you finished reading a thread, expecially if people were posting in it while you were reading it.

subsrcibed threads still does what usercp used to if thats any good?

Nah, I know where the code is, it's a matter of transforming:

[PHP]
    if ($mark_threads_read_using_cookies) {
    // Do it the old way
    } else {
    // Do it the new way
    }
    [/PHP]

into:

[PHP]
    if ($mark_threads_read_using_cookies || $this_particular_user_wants_the_old_behaviour) {
    // Do it the old way
    } else {
    // Do it the new way
    }
    [/PHP]

without breaking stuff.
    I had one with a soccer thread earlier, I'd just read it and it dissapeared from my usercp but 2 people had posted in it not long (a couple of minutes)after I read it. It didn't reappear in my user cp list until a thrid person posted 30 mins or so later.

Sorry its not exact but it looks like it can be a bit off it working out when you finished reading a thread, expecially if people were posting in it while you were reading it.

The timing is correct though, it does a straight comparison between the time recorded when you read the thread and the last post time for the thread. All the machines are within ~50ms of each other so I don't think it's a clock sync issue.

Perhaps there's some caching of the thread last post time somewhere, but I don't think that's cached at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I tried marking every forum as read, but not long afterwards, I noticed forums are still being marked as having unread posts - despite me having read them. This is the same for subscribed forums/non subbed.

Is this being caused because Im not reading certain threads within forums, even though a certain thread may have been last updated over a week ago? Under the old system, the forum was marked as read once it was clicked into, despite what threads were read/unread.

EnterNow wrote: »
    I tried marking every forum as read, but not long afterwards, I noticed forums are still being marked as having unread posts - despite me having read them. This is the same for subscribed forums/non subbed.

Is this being caused because Im not reading certain threads within forums, even though a certain thread may have been last updated over a week ago? Under the old system, the forum was marked as read once it was clicked into, despite what threads were read/unread.

Under the old system, a forum was marked read if you visited it and then logged out and in again.

Now, a forum is marked read if all the threads in it are marked read.

A thread is marked read if you read it or it was last posted in more than 10 days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Under the old system, a forum was marked read if you visited it and then logged out and in again.

Now, a forum is marked read if all the threads in it are marked read.

A thread is marked read if you read it or it was last posted in more than 10 days ago.

Thanks for the reply Conor, that makes sense to me now. Can I be so bold though as to say it worked a lot better the old way. I cant keep track now at all whats going on forum wise, because there are threads which wouldnt interest me which I never read (in a forum I do frequent) which are causing it to be marked as unread. So upon having to go into each forum I like, I regularly get greeted with no new posts which had been indicated.

Im not being critical here, and I appreciate the reply, but this new system seems confusing/flawed. Hopefully, unlike Adverts, Boards can maintain its useability...

EnterNow wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Conor, that makes sense to me now. Can I be so bold though as to say it worked a lot better the old way. I cant keep track now at all whats going on forum wise, because there are threads which wouldnt interest me which I never read (in a forum I do frequent) which are causing it to be marked as unread. So upon having to go into each forum I like, I regularly get greeted with no new posts which had been indicated.

Im not being critical here, and I appreciate the reply, but this new system seems confusing/flawed. Hopefully, unlike Adverts, Boards can maintain its useability...

I appreciate it may not be quite to your taste, toggling that option was always going to be a case of giving to some while taking away from others.

The primary reason why the change was made was to avoid creating enormous cookies. Those cookies had to be passed over and back on every page view (slowing down people on slow connections), exposed a bug in our new load balancers (fixed ASAP, but still irritating) and made it very difficult for us to cache stuff (inhibiting further development).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I appreciate it may not be quite to your taste, toggling that option was always going to be a case of giving to some while taking away from others.

The primary reason why the change was made was to avoid creating enormous cookies. Those cookies had to be passed over and back on every page view (slowing down people on slow connections), exposed a bug in our new load balancers (fixed ASAP, but still irritating) and made it very difficult for us to cache stuff (inhibiting further development).

So it's likely to stay as is where threads remain unread until a user forces a marking of read with the "Mark all forums as read" function?

I can appreciate the reasons for the change but it's far more annoying than the old system.

nesf wrote: »
    So it's likely to stay as is where threads remain unread until a user forces a marking of read with the "Mark all forums as read" function?

A thread is marked as read if the last post is more than 10 days ago.

Other than that, yes.

Also, you can mark individual forums as read, it's not an all or nothing situation.

I may work something out in the future to allow more aggressive marking of threads as a per-user preference but I can't guarantee getting time for that any time soon.
    nesf wrote: »
    I can appreciate the reasons for the change but it's far more annoying than the old system.

More annoying for you, less annoying for others who were "losing" unread threads when moving from browser to browser. I appreciate that you find it annoying, but the long-term technical benefits are far more heavily in favour of the "new" system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If a number of people still like the old way, how about a setting in UserCP that if switched on will mark all forums as read after 10/15 minutes of inactivity or something like that?

Advertisement