Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every thread appearing as unread

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'll explain how I use it & why it work better for me.
    I have about 10 forums in my subbed list & this is what I work off most of the time.
    I login briefly in the morning, check my own forums & probably some recent threads I'm subbed to. I log out & off I go.
    I may pop in & out a couple of times up to lunch time.These are going to be very short so I can not check everything that interests me.
    Now when I get time, be it after lunch or in the evening, I log in & browse my subbed forums again. When I have seen all that interests me I mark that forum read & move on to the next . Now there may be a subbed forum I don't see for a couple of days, but my unread posts are still obvious. Using the old way, unless you browse everything everytime you log in, I can't see the benefit of it over the way it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Ludo wrote: »
    But it isn't "unread" threads should be highlighted....it is threads that have been updated since your last visit.

THIS.

The "unread" feature isn't really used by most people to see what threads are unread. It's used by most as a way of seeing which posts have new posts since they last visited.

The current system basically displays two completely set of threads in the same way: threads I don't want to read, and threads I did want to read that have been updated. There should be a distinction, because they're completely opposite concepts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

THIS.

The "unread" feature isn't really used by most people to see what threads are unread. It's used by most as a way of seeing which posts have new posts since they last visited.

The current system basically displays two completely set of threads in the same way: threads I don't want to read, and threads I did want to read that have been updated. There should be a distinction, because they're completely opposite concepts.

Thanks nekkidbibleman this is exactly what i wanted to say but kept coming out stupid. Even more so if you use boards mobile which i do a lot the larger forums are a no go area AH being a perfect example.

Since there is no easy method or forum tools on the mobile version its a pain in the backside.

Also I dont believe we should have to go through the trouble of marking each fora as read. We didnt before and why should we need to now

What we have now in my opinion is utterly unworkable,unwieldy and messy.
    It's also annoying.

Basically if I go into the terrestrial forum,threads that haven't been updated in weeks are showing up as unread...in this case the whole fcekin forum.

Thats not an improvement [to put it mildly].

icon13.gificon13.gificon13.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Im confident Connor will implement something to keep both types of boardsie happy. We will just have to bear with it till then guys & gals. Try no to moan too much it might p1ss him off and leave us with it :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Mark forums read keeps giving me an "invalid security token" error. Ensuring my subs menu remains unusable :(

Advertisement