Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly dog = smelly house

Options
  • 29-04-2010 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Wondering if you can give me some advice.

We adopted a long haired terrier about two weeks ago. He isnt a young dog, I figure about 8 years old anyway. Hes a lovely little thing, very quiet and no problem.

BUT, he does smell! I have washed him twice since I got him, using dog shampoo but he still smells afterwards. He doesnt smell horrendus but I really dont want him making the house smell horrible and "doggy". I like the house clean, and while I dont mind a few dog hairs etc, I dont want dog smell everywhere. He doesnt be inside during the day only in the evening, and we dont have any carpets down stairs, just tiles and wooden floors, and our couches are leather so they are wipe clean!

Anybody got any advice on how to alieviate this smell, both on the dog himself and around the house? Is there anything I can do at home that will mask the smell?

I have heard of a homemade dog shampoo solution which is made with scented hand soap and vinegar in equal quantities- it is supposed to be great but I havent tried it yet. Anyone used it to success?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry to break it to you, but dogs smell, they are animals, they dont smell of roses:rolleyes:

All animals have a natural odour, esp dogs. Unless they have actually rolled in something to make it smell really bad then thats how they will smell all the time.
    Dont wash your dog too often as its not good for them, it strips all the natural oils from their coat which they need so once a month or so is more than enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Ok, i just thought it was because he hadnt dried properly or something as its like wet dog smell.

I understand he will smell a little, I just wanted to know if anyone had any success alieviating it. Thanks for your advice though! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Could it be his anal glands? Is it a stinky rotten fishy kind of smell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Washing him too much will make him smell more as like andreac said you'll strip all the natural oils from him coat. Maybe as he's long haired you could get him groomed once in a while to see if it makes a difference and make sure you keep on top of brushing his coat yourself.

Have you had his teeth and glands checked by a vet as sometimes these can contribute to a smelly dog.

Also diet can play a part, what are you feeding him?

I am feeding him pedigree chum dried food, which he has access to all day, with wet food pouch mixed in once a day.

This is what the shelter had been feeding him and he was fostered for a while before I adopted him, and he was fed this too.

And no his glands and teeth are all in good condition thank god.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

If he just smells like a normal dog then I don't think there's much you can do. If he smells more than a normal dog then there could be something wrong there maybe?

He could have a bit of Yorkie in him? They have greasy skin and smell more than some dogs. Other breeds have this too.

I think that if you don't have carpets and have leather couches then the house shouldn't smell too much. You could try natural air fresheners and sprays. I saw on How Clean is your Home they sometimes make their own air fresheners from different scented oils and vodka and you can use old spray bottles washed out well, or buy them places, like the 2 euro shop (much better than anything you can buy that's full of chemicals). They won't be harmful to the dog or anything :)

Here are some links I just looked up

http://www.greenoptions.com/wiki/homemade-non-toxic-home-air-fresheners

http://www.ehow.com/how_4969080_make-liquid-air-fresheners.html

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf766832.tip.html

Also some dog shampoos smell kinda bad, and leave the dog with a weird wet dog smell afterwards. So maybe you should try a different brand. You can probably find ones on the internet. We use some nice ones in college (Wahl ones I think?), that smell fruity or coconuty. The dogs smell lovely afterwards :)

morganafay wrote: »
    I think that if you don't have carpets and have leather couches then the house shouldn't smell too much. You could try natural air fresheners and sprays. I saw on How Clean is your Home they sometimes make their own air fresheners from different scented oils and vodka and you can use old spray bottles washed out well, or buy them places, like the 2 euro shop (much better than anything you can buy that's full of chemicals). They won't be harmful to the dog or anything :)

Here are some links I just looked up

http://www.greenoptions.com/wiki/homemade-non-toxic-home-air-fresheners

http://www.ehow.com/how_4969080_make-liquid-air-fresheners.html

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf766832.tip.html

Wow thanks a million for this. Yes I think maybe Im being paranoid about the house smelling! I like clean air!! lol I think this is my best bet, I will just buy some scented candles and stuff and wash the poor dog less!! HE does hate being washed the poor mite!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Wet food can generally make them a bit smellier, definitely in terms of their poos. I feed mine exclusively on dried food. I don't know about pedigree chum, but most here recommend not to feed them on them types of supermarket brands. In fact when I had her as a pup first the vet nurse asked what I was feeding and I said pedigree puppy, she just said it was muck and recommended something else.

You could also try getting him clipped a little, I clip my cocker spaniel as she has long feathery hair on her legs and paws, I don't wash her too often but if she is wet after a rainy walk or being on the beach it is harder to dry her, and wet dog is a horrible smell. I find her less smelly when I keep her hair trimmed up often.

I'd recommend to wash a dog every 6 weeks, but if it's an extra smelly dog then it might be that they produce too much oil, and then they'd have to be washed more. I mean if he's indoors and you think he smells a bit too much, then wash him if you like. Like there has to be a compromise between how much is good for his skin, and what is acceptable to you for him living indoors.

I know someone with a basset hound (they're really oily) and I think she has to wash him every 2 weeks. And his skin and fur is in perfect condition. Whatever works best for you and you dog.

• Advertisement

ecaf, yes I know they say only to feed premium dry dog food, but I my dog is not posh!! lol I tried to limit him to just dry food and he was starving as he wasnt eating enough of his dried food. So i add in the wet food now. He likes it and to be fair his coat looks very healthy (he has wirey hair naturally but its shiny too). I will consider the gromming alright as I think it may actually help.

morgan, thanks so much for understanding what I mean. We love our new addittion, but its all about balance in my opinion. I dont think I should have to substitute a clean smelling house either just because I have a dog! I guess I will just play around with some air freshners and wash him every two weeks or so.

Thanks guys

yungwan wrote: »
    I am feeding him pedigree chum dried food, which he has access to all day, with wet food pouch mixed in once a day.

This is what the shelter had been feeding him and he was fostered for a while before I adopted him, and he was fed this too.

And no his glands and teeth are all in good condition thank god.

Pedigree really isnt the best food at all, its awful tbh. Its full of artificial colours, flavours and no good quality ingredients. Like feeding mcdonalds to dogs.

Best thing is to go to your local pet shop and ask for a god quality food, there are loads out there, RedMills, James Well beloved, Burns, Royal Canin,Arden Grange and so on.
    These are much better for him and you wont have to feed as much as the ingredients are very good quality.

I would try wean him off the wet food too as its made up of mostly water and crap. f you do want to add something to it then i recommend tuna or sardines as they are very good for their coat and so on.

ecaf, yes I know they say only to feed premium dry dog food, but I my dog is not posh!! lol I tried to limit him to just dry food and he was starving as he wasnt eating enough of his dried food.

Thanks guys

Premium food is not for posh dogs, no such thing. Its about giving your dog good quality food, not filling him full of bad stuff which pedigree is. Its nutritional value isnt very good and all the bad stuff wont do any good for your dog and your dog wont be in too good a condition from eating it.
    So i highly advise taking your dog off pedigree and try something much better for him.

Your dog will eat the nuts on its own if you leave him long enough, trust me, a dog wont go hungry, they are too clever for that. Hes holding out in the hope that you add something nice to it, which you are, so he knows exactly how to play you.
    Trust me, a dog wont go hungry, but the more you add stuff in, the more he will always expect it and you create a fussy dog with their food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

If you keep mixing the wet food with the dry food of course he'll keep eating it, but if you just give him dry food and only dry food he'll eat it if he's hungry enough and get used to it, like a kid with vegetables :)

Our dog was being fed scraps and cheap wet food when we got her which she loves but makes her STINK, it's like farts just seeped out her pores, disgusting. As soon as she'd walk past us we'd gag. She gets Royal Canin dry food now and at first she didn't eat much of it but after a few days they cop on, they won't starve themselves. Her coat is beautifully shiny, and you only get a smell off her if you snuggle into her, and even then it's just normal dog smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

BUT, he does smell! I have washed him twice since I got him, using dog shampoo but he still smells afterwards. He doesnt smell horrendus but I really dont want him making the house smell horrible and "doggy".
    I understand what you mean in this regard. Sometimes you walk into someone's house, and the smell of dog makes you think they haven't cleaned the place in months.

Unfortunately though, no matter how fastidious you are, if someone comes into your house who doesn't live with a dog, they will notice the smell of dog. All you can really do is alleviate the strength of the odour by airing the house as much as you can. The summer is great for this, you can leave all the windows and doors open without the place getting cold.

But you will have to resign yourself to the fact that your house will always have a slight smell of dog to non-dog owners. Better than a smell of smoke, I suppose :)
    If you have people coming over, smelly candles and the like will mask it.
    I dont think I should have to substitute a clean smelling house either just because I have a dog! I guess I will just play around with some air freshners and wash him every two weeks or so.
    Just be careful with this. Start washing him at long intervals (6 weeks) and gradually bring it down to a point where you're happy there's a balance between smell and the dog's comfort. The easiest way to check is to feel the dog's coat the day after you've washed him. If it feels dry and not soft, you're washing him too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

morganafay wrote: »
    I'd recommend to wash a dog every 6 weeks, but if it's an extra smelly dog then it might be that they produce too much oil, and then they'd have to be washed more. I mean if he's indoors and you think he smells a bit too much, then wash him if you like. Like there has to be a compromise between how much is good for his skin, and what is acceptable to you for him living indoors.

I know someone with a basset hound (they're really oily) and I think she has to wash him every 2 weeks. And his skin and fur is in perfect condition. Whatever works best for you and you dog.

We have a bassett/jrt cross and she smells doggy alright. So does her bedding so make sure that that gets washed often too.

Thankfully she now copies the collie and rolls in wet grass on our field to clean herslelf which works better than any washing.

ok, ill take all the advice on board and see how I get on!!
    Ill keep ye updated!
    Thanks everyone for your help. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

andreac wrote: »
    Premium food is not for posh dogs, no such thing. Its about giving your dog good quality food, not filling him full of bad stuff which pedigree is. Its nutritional value isnt very good and all the bad stuff wont do any good for your dog and your dog wont be in too good a condition from eating it.
    So i highly advise taking your dog off pedigree and try something much better for him.

Your dog will eat the nuts on its own if you leave him long enough, trust me, a dog wont go hungry, they are too clever for that. Hes holding out in the hope that you add something nice to it, which you are, so he knows exactly how to play you.
    Trust me, a dog wont go hungry, but the more you add stuff in, the more he will always expect it and you create a fussy dog with their food.
    Have to agree with this, the in-laws mind mine when I'm away and feed the same as theirs gets which is bread and milk, with mixer nuts. I got her back the other day and you could tell she was looking for the milky treat instead. I said "That's all there is pet, take it or leave it" she ate a bit and left it, then decided there was nothing better and went back to finish it later.
    You can definitely mix in fish / salmon / sardines etc to make it a bit more tasty and help their coat, but most of the recommended dried foods should have enough oils in them anyway.

I don't think my dog is posh, I have shopped around to find a food that is affordable enough for me, but also has the appropriate mix of nutrients etc.
    As you said try the grooming first, but keep an open mind to trying to change him onto something more suitable food-wise. Also if you buy the bigger bags it works out cheaper too (15kg).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

Hya

Try some or all of the following

Clip/trim the hair off his paws as some male dogs stand in their urine and this causes an awful smell especially if they are in a yard. This is more of a problem than people realise especially in long/wire coated dogs

Wash his dog beds in the house very regularly as the smell rapidly transfers to his beds. I use cheap washing powder for dog beds so it doesnt cost a fortune.

change his food to a higher quality brand, I found burns excellent for this purpose, you can buy it in bulk from zooplus

Invest in a furminatior dog brush, they are excellent for grooming. Baby shampoo is fine for bathing. Make sure his ears are kept clean and his anal glands do not need to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Sorry to break it to you, but dogs smell, they are animals, they dont smell of roses:rolleyes:

All animals have a natural odour, esp dogs. Unless they have actually rolled in something to make it smell really bad then thats how they will smell all the time.
    Dont wash your dog too often as its not good for them, it strips all the natural oils from their coat which they need so once a month or so is more than enough.

I think the OP is looking for advice not criticism.

Hermit07 thats is some good advice which i will be trying myself. there is nothing to devalue a home like cigarettes and smelly dogs!

OP I stopped leaving our dog out all the day and he is much better smell wise. not sure if this is am option for you

• Advertisement

ppink wrote: »
    I think the OP is looking for advice not criticism.

Sorry can you point out where i criticised? I might have been a little sarcastic but i certainly didnt criticise.
    If you read my reply i gave some advice on washing so i suggest you re read my reply as there is no criticism there:rolleyes:

Sorry can you point out where i criticised? I might have been a little sarcastic but i certainly didnt criticise.
    If you read my reply i gave some advice on washing so i suggest you re read my reply as there is no criticism there:rolleyes:

criticism/sarcasm thin line. OP is looking for help, it never helps anyone to start rolling eyes at them when they have a genuine question.

OP I would be interested to see how you get on with it all. I have 2 Febreze plug in freshners beside my dogs beds which haas helped a lot. I also wash them often (the beds)

Also, is he neutered? If he isn't then neutering would definitely help

We have had a dry shampoo, home-made, highly recommended when bathing a dog is not possible - although that remains the best and will not strip oils.

baby powder, if you can get it with lavender best, and same amount of cornflour.

Rub well into dog ( he will love it) and let him run round outside.

I am allergic to "fresheners" etc so need this alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Different breds have different smells.

It may be rotting oil. This sounds harsh, but get the dogs hair clipped and brush them daily for a while. If that fails wash him in a very dilute washing up liquid. Washing up liquid breaks down oil. Leave it as a last resort as it dries the skin.

Graces how often would you apply that dry powder?

OP you could do like i have threatened here and take a clippers and turn him into a chinese crested:D

ppink wrote: »
    Graces how often would you apply that dry powder?

OP you could do like i have threatened here and take a clippers and turn him into a chinese crested:D

Will check; I think as needed..This is a top champion breeder in our family in Canada so I tend to trust her ideas.

And this wee one is smooth coated so nothing to clip;)

Advertisement