Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GN125 v GN250

• 29-04-2010 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    So, I've been debating the whole gettinga bike for ages now and think its definitely time.

I had been thinking of getting a GN125, it's the style i'm after and i'm told they're as reliable as it gets. Cheap enough insurance and petrol costs sound good too.

But I've just seen a GN250 for not a lot more, and now i'm wondering if i should just go 250 so i could test for A license and all that.

i'm over 25, don't think there's a massive difference in the insurance, and bikes all seem to be in good condition. I just don't know really know anything about bikes to make informed decision:confused:

So my real question is are there any reasons to stick to the 125 (reliability, drastic difference in fuel consumption, anything about engine or mechanical specs, etc...) or would i be mad not to get the 250?

What do yis reckon?

Cheers
    Davy

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

A license.
    GN250.
    Go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Yid be mad :)

Only reason I'd take a 125 over a 250 in that scenario is if the insurance companies didnt wanna play ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

What's your budget?

Insurance will always be much of a muchness on cruisers afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

Neither; seriously neither but if you have to buy the 250 its better than the hell that is a gn 125

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Neither; seriously neither but if you have to buy the 250 its better than the hell that is a gn 125

Really?
    I know they're looked down on a wee bit as "courier bikes", but figured they were grand little yokes for getting about on (hence bein courier bikes:D).

On the rest of the comments, looks like 250 would make sense out of the 2 then. Haven't got time to suss insurance at the mo in work, so that could decide things for me but not expecting that big a difference.

Budget is kinda as low as possible, don't have a lot of free cash at the moment but should be ok for either of these i think. Hoping to pick up a bike for 800 max :o

Really just want to give a bike a go and see how i find it. Not interested in spending big money for anything fancier right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Really?
    I know they're looked down on a wee bit as "courier bikes", but figured they were grand little yokes for getting about on (hence bein courier bikes:D).

On the rest of the comments, looks like 250 would make sense out of the 2 then. Haven't got time to suss insurance at the mo in work, so that could decide things for me but not expecting that big a difference.

Budget is kinda as low as possible, don't have a lot of free cash at the moment but should be ok for either of these i think. Hoping to pick up a bike for 800 max :o

Really just want to give a bike a go and see how i find it. Not interested in spending big money for anything fancier right now.
    Don't forget, though; getting a cheap bike (which is nevertheless in reasonable condition) is one thing. But make sure to budget in some good gear (and training too if possible).

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Don't forget, though; getting a cheap bike (which is nevertheless in reasonable condition) is one thing. But make sure to budget in some good gear (and training too if possible).

Yep, gear and training are both part of the plan.

Really?

Because they are crap boring heavy and were designed in 1986.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

gn125 are bullet proof but slow is not the word for them,gn250 is a good bike plenty of poke but the top end is very soft,when i had mine many years ago i changed the oil every couple of k's and it never let me down,but beware you dont know how the previous owner minded it.dirty oil and gn250's dont go well together......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

Hi,
    So, I've been debating the whole gettinga bike for ages now and think its definitely time.

I had been thinking of getting a GN125, it's the style i'm after and i'm told they're as reliable as it gets. Cheap enough insurance and petrol costs sound good too.

But I've just seen a GN250 for not a lot more, and now i'm wondering if i should just go 250 so i could test for A license and all that.

i'm over 25, don't think there's a massive difference in the insurance, and bikes all seem to be in good condition. I just don't know really know anything about bikes to make informed decision:confused:

So my real question is are there any reasons to stick to the 125 (reliability, drastic difference in fuel consumption, anything about engine or mechanical specs, etc...) or would i be mad not to get the 250?

What do yis reckon?

Cheers
    Davy
    You'd be mad not to get a 250, 125 will bore you pretty quick. I started on a 250. At the time I was a bit apprehensive but I would have been apprehensive on a 125 anyway. Believe me, 125 is too little. What will you go to from 125, 250 probably, when instead if you start from 250 for 6 months or a year, you can then go on to 400/500/600 cc easy enough. With a 125 your only introducing a hurdle before you move onto something bigger, you'll regret it.

And I cann't imagine the insurance been so greatly different on 125 to a 250. Best of luck regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BrotherGrim

Friend of mine started on a gn125 before xmas, so I had a go. You have to rev the bike to bits in the lower gears just to get going, once your on the move its ok. They were frustrated with it after a few weeks though & wished they had picked up something a little bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Friend of mine started on a gn125 before xmas, so I had a go. You have to rev the bike to bits in the lower gears just to get going, once your on the move its ok. They were frustrated with it after a few weeks though & wished they had picked up something a little bigger.

Sounds like an ex of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mig mag

Me and my fella bought a bike last year, a Honda Varadero. We are both only learning and thought that would be a good one to start with. I know f-all about bikes btw.
    Anyway my problem is the bike is too big for me, can't touch both feet on the ground and I'm not making much headway on it. He's fine but then he's 6'2'', I'm only 5'7"
    What would be a good bike for me to get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

cbr125 is a shortie, so is that new ninja 250r afaik

Wossack wrote: »
    cbr125 is a shortie, so is that new ninja 250r afaik
    Thanks, gotta get looking soon. Need to keep it around the 1,000 euro mark tho. Have all the gear already so at least that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

mig mag wrote: »
    Thanks, gotta get looking soon. Need to keep it around the 1,000 euro mark tho. Have all the gear already so at least that much.
    I've heard the Marauder 125 is fun if you're into custom bikes - and it has a low seat height. Friend of mine has one for sale for 1,500 euro (only 99 mile on the clock).

2006-Suzuki-Marauder125a-small.jpg

I saw this http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1302807
    thought it'd suit.

before anyone starts It was 40bhp brand new so it may need a tiny restriction but it will feel fine at 32.9 bhp and no bike cop would botherbyou on it.

I saw this http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1302807
    thought it'd suit.

Thanks for that :) just a little too far away tho :(

Ok so I was bike shopping today and I've decided on a 00 suzuki maurader. 1400euro with full service and 6 month gaurantee.
    Gonna get it picked up next week and have ben in touch wit a guy for lessons so can't wait to get started now :D
    Oh and thanks for advice, I was reading some of the other threads too and found plenty of help, so thanks :)

mig mag wrote: »
    Ok so I was bike shopping today and I've decided on a 00 suzuki maurader. 1400euro with full service and 6 month gaurantee.
    Gonna get it picked up next week and have ben in touch wit a guy for lessons so can't wait to get started now :D
    Oh and thanks for advice, I was reading some of the other threads too and found plenty of help, so thanks :)

Congrats!
    Thanks for the advice on the GN's, looks like its back to the drawing board:o.
    I'll get there eventually....

• Advertisement

Best of luck with it Davy :D

Advertisement