Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct train from Tralee to Dublin

Options
  • 29-04-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I'm getting the Train direct from Tralee to Dublin tomorrow at 7.15am.
    I haven't taken the train in a long time and was wondering do they have Wifi available?

I don't ever remember them having it before, it'd be handy though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Saaron wrote: »
    I'm getting the Train direct from Tralee to Dublin tomorrow at 7.15am.
    I haven't taken the train in a long time and was wondering do they have Wifi available?

I don't ever remember them having it before, it'd be handy though.

see answer from Irish Rail website below- looks like on Dublin Cork trains only. However, if you have wireless modem, I recommend bringing it along. It works for me in most parts (just a bit patchy between Killarney and Mallow and for around Limk Junction. Most of the Tralee trains have sockets for battery chargers too. General News Wi-Fi trial on selected Cork-Dublin Intercity services by Corporate Communications
    Wi-Fi available on the following trains:Thursday 29th April09:30 Cork Heuston 13:00 Heuston Cork 16:30 Cork Heuston 21:00 Heuston Cork Availability may be subject to change without noticeIarnród Éireann has announced that wi-fi trials are now underway on selected Dublin-Cork Intercity services.The trial follows an assessment of technical aspects of a wi-fi service on the route, with strong coverage levels across the Dublin Cork line. Initially, free wi-fi is available, and partners in the trial, Fleet Connect, will also offer web access to customers at a variety of price points, allowing Iarnród Éireann to assess the likely customer uptake. A spokesperson for Iarnród Éireann said “we are looking forward to this exciting initiative, to establish the uptake from customers for the wi-fi services, and to see the impact on the rail travel experience. We are hoping the option to avail of on train internet connectivity for all customers – from those checking social networking sites and e-mail to business customers – will prove popular, and lead to a full introduction of wi-fi on Dublin/Cork, and its expansion to other routes – Intercity, DART and Commuter. We would intend going to tender for a supplier partner to undertake this.” The initial trial will continue for six months on one train set, which will be rotated through scheduled services. Rail bosses are already receiving enquiries on expansion of the facility. “Many customers are already travelling with us because rail travel offers the scope to use travel time productively. Wi-fi obviously broadens such scope dramatically.” The train-bound system has been designed and installed by Dublin-based FleetConnect, who has also supplied other Irish transport firms with on-board Wi-Fi. “The system provides up to eight concurrent connections using mobile broadband networks from O2, Vodafone, and 3,” said Patrick Cotter, Managing Director at FleetConnect. “During the journey the Moovbox’s patented SureWAN technology will intelligently choose the best networks to use based on availability, and where possible aggregate those networks to provide a bigger ‘pipe’ to the train.” From our initial testing Iarnród Éireann passengers will be able to achieve up to 3.5mbs download which will give them the ability to access the Internet to check their email, surf the web, play games and connect to their corporate network. The system is available on the full train set for everyone to use once they have a Wi-Fi enabled device such as a Laptop, I – Phone or smart phone.”

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Oh thank you so much! I don't have a wireless modem as I would rarely use it! I'll just have to entertain myself then. Hopefully all trains have Wifi in the future, it would be very handy! :)

Advertisement