Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Least steep way from Dun Laoghaire to Sandyford?

• 29-04-2010 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can advise on the least steep way to get from Dun Laoghaire (Tivoli Road) to Central Park in Sandyford (where Bewley's Hotel is) I was cycling quite a bit last year but hardly anything for the last 3-4 months and don't want to give myself a heart attack by going up a vertical incline! There's apparently a new road from the Sallynoggin roundabout or thereabouts, but I don't know where it is or if it's a good option?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

You could cycle up to the X roads in Deansgrange and head down by Clonkeen college and then turn onto the N11, that will eliminate the big hill at Foxrock Church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭crisco10

You could cycle up to the X roads in Deansgrange and head down by Clonkeen college and then turn onto the N11, that will eliminate the big hill at Foxrock Church.

Not a bad shout, Alternatively, come down Johnstown Rd onto the N11.

The hill on the N11 is nice and gradual. (even if you kind of go the long way round!)

I always preferred cycling up Leopardstown Rd as opposed to Brewery Road too. It seems a bit longer but flatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Bit hard to get from DL to Sandyford with out hitting some kind of a hill. This route has the new monkstown link road (haven't been on it myself) but once you come off this at Newtownpark ave you only have the hill up to whitescross and then it flattens out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

Bit hard to get from DL to Sandyford with out hitting some kind of a hill. This route has the new monkstown link road (haven't been on it myself) but once you come off this at Newtownpark ave you only have the hill up to whitescross and then it flattens out again.

+1 I've used this new link road and it's fine it's flat, you will have a climb up Newton Park Avenue but it's not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

There is a hill on the N11?

Kill lane is certainly the most direct way, I think Newtownpark Avenue might be more direct and a bit steeper. Either way both are short steady drags that shouldn't trouble anyone with the right gearing.

Plus it just means you get to cycle down them on the way home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

i cycle from deansgrange to sandyford daily, and i go up the hill and turn right to foxrock ave. and up a little last the shops is a gap to knocksina. nice cycle and less traffic plus it brakes up the hill too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭crisco10

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

Kill lane is certainly the most direct way, I think Newtownpark Avenue might be more direct and a bit steeper. Either way both are short steady drags that shouldn't trouble anyone with the right gearing.

Plus it just means you get to cycle down them on the way home!

According to map my ride, its a 2-3% gradient from Clonkeen Road to Leopardstown Road!

The snake through Knocksinna is nice wind alright, although I think i'd prefer to just go at Kill Ave or Newtownpark Ave straight and be done with it. Of the 2 Newtonpark is the easier IMHO, good steady climb that only gets a bit heavier up the top...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

depends do you want avoid hills or get there quick the various ways will get you there quicker or slower depending on the route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    A gradient anyway, dunno the proper definition of a hill. I used not notice it much in a car until I cycled. From foxrock church going into town past the girls school it is quite steep and many are up out of the saddle for that short stretch. When coming from whites cross if I got the lights right I could belt along down the slope and was up to 50-55kph with very little effort by the time I got to cournelscourt, free wheeling a lot of the way as I do not like going that fast.

I would go newtownpark avenue, it is steep at the top, if I was still unfit I would get off & walk that last bit, it could still is probably quicker than other routes.

Advertisement