Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Chelsea Dilemma

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ush1 wrote: »
    This thread should be merged with the barstoolers one and renamed, "The Rules of being a Fan according to boards.ie".
    Whatever about the other thread, cheering against your team can in no way be justified at all.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Whatever about the other thread, cheering against your team can in no way be justified at all.

Yes it can, here's how.

Some people don't actually football, rather consume it like a soap opera.

In their minds "their team" are the "good guys" who must do everything they can to stop the "bad guys", in this case Liverpool are the "good guys" while Man U are the Dirty Den "Bad Guys", everyone else are side characters, Chelsea are Mike Baldwin, Man City are Vera Duckworth, Spurs are Dot Cotton, they don't really matter, as long as in the latest episode the "good guys" do what they must to thwart the "bad guys".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Des wrote: »
    Yes it can, here's how.

In their minds "their team" are the "good guys" who must do everything they can to stop the "bad guys", in this case Liverpool are the "good guys" while Man U are the Dirty Den "Bad Guys", everyone else are side characters, Chelsea are Mike Baldwin, Man City are Vera Duckworth, Spurs are Dot Cotton, they don't really matter, as long as in the latest episode the "good guys" do what they must to thwart the "bad guys".

Quite a knowledge of the various soaps' characters there, Des. Impeccably spelt too. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yes it can, here's how.

Hunky Dory's rugby team being Hollyoaks then on that logic ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Quite a knowledge of the various soaps' characters there, Des. Impeccably spelt too. :D

You missed some nuances though. Baldwin is a rich cockney trying to big it up in Manchester.

Vera Duckworth is a no-mark character in Manchester, ditto for Dot in Eastenders.

:D

Hunky Dory's rugby team being Hollyoaks then on that logic ;)
    Or Drogs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Mike Baldwin and Vera are dead :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Boggles wrote: »
    If Everton beat Stoke on Saturday.

Liverpool will need a point from the Chelsea match to guarantee 7th.

If Liverpool lose. It goes down to the last game of the season.

There is incentive for Liverpool on Sunday. European football next season.

Which Liverpool could get in the last game at Hull

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Mike Baldwin and Vera are dead :mad:
    City and Chelsea too then by the looks of it then. Well done you cracked the code :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,733 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Which Liverpool could get in the last game at Hull

Yeah I know.

Thats why I said it would go down to the last game of the season. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

if man utd win the league then they deserve to win it and over take liverpool with the number of titles won. it wont be nice, it will taste bad and we can only blame ourselves for not putting up more of a challenge but not cheering for liverpool against chelsea if you are a liverpool fan is retarded and bitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

ill be supporting my Liverpool Sunday but lets just say i wont be as upset if we lose:D

Paulegend wrote: »
    ill be supporting my Liverpool Sunday but lets just say i wont be as upset if we lose:D
    Where did you disappear too :rolleyes:

Where did you disappear too :rolleyes:
    sorry dude seen you where blamed for my thread:D oops. didnt exoect people to get so immature about it. totally not the intended result:(

sorry dude seen you where blamed for my thread:D oops. didnt exoect people to get so immature about it. totally not the intended result:(
    Don't worry dude. Some have very active imaginations. Came down a bit too hard on you in that thread. Call it karma biting me on the ass :D

Don't worry dude. Some have very active imaginations. Came down a bit too hard on you in that thread. Call it karma biting me on the ass :D
    :D its grand

just was suprised after being away all day to come back and see all that:) it was suppose to be a nice thread for every fan not just liverpool:D dam

:D its grand

just was suprised after being away all day to come back and see all that:) it was suppose to be a nice thread for every fan not just liverpool:D dam
    Don't let the haters get you down. You'll do fine in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Talking to yourself now too sots?

Why on earth is there an option for UNited fans to be supporting Liverpool :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Start the thread again with a public poll please.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    Talking to yourself now too sots?

Why on earth is there an option for UNited fans to be supporting Liverpool :confused:
    :rolleyes: what ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

SantryRed wrote: »

I would have thought that was obvious :confused:

Yeah, it's so obvious it hardly needs to be stated :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

As a neutral watching game in local I really hope Liverpool roll over after the reaction of the UTD supporters folowing Forlans goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

hmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are you suggesting dual accounts? Maybe SOTS has a twin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

mike65 wrote: »
    Are you suggesting dual accounts? Maybe SOTS has a twin.

In the Andy Goram sense?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What's the need for an option? There's hardly an United fan who would want Liverpool to lose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Where's the dilemma? Surely Liverpool fans want their team to win every game they play. Anyone who's hatred for a rival is greater than their love for their own team is not a real fan.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

grenache wrote: »
    Where's the dilemma? Surely Liverpool fans want their team to win every game they play. Anyone who's hatred for a rival is greater than their love for their own team is not a real fan.

That's numberwang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This poll should be an open one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Just as well this kinda thing only happens every 15 years. I remember John Barnes (I think???) curling in that free kick against Blackburn and not knowing whether to celebrate or not. All imaterial as Andy Cole had an "off day" shall we say. Have a funny feeling same thing will happen, Liverpool will beat Chelsea and Utd will drop points at Stadium of Light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Just as well this kinda thing only happens every 15 years. I remember John Barnes (I think???) curling in that free kick against Blackburn and not knowing whether to celebrate or not. All imaterial as Andy Cole had an "off day" shall we say. Have a funny feeling same thing will happen, Liverpool will beat Chelsea and Utd will drop points at Stadium of Light.

With a bit of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jamie redknapp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

Even though it is an outside chance, any Liverpool supporter hoping not to win while 4th is still a mathematical possibility needs to seriously look at themselves.

I would seriously disagree with this. While of course a team's fan should support them a massive part of football is and always will be about rivalries. How many times have spurs fans for example supported other teams depending on the gunners goals etc..the day this sort of rivalry is taken out of footie will be a sad day for football imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mormank wrote: »
    I would seriously disagree with this. While of course a team's fan should support them a massive part of football is and always will be about rivalries. How many times have spurs fans for example supported other teams depending on the gunners goals etc..the day this sort of rivalry is taken out of footie will be a sad day for football imo.

Fans tend not to want to see their team lose irrespective of the effect on other teams , especially when there as much at stake as the europa league place for next year.:)

If liverpool lose sunday I won't be blaming them for united not winning the title just as if they draw or win and United win it I wouldn't think Liverpool had won it for us. What ever team wins the title will have won it by their own achievements not anyone elses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fergie speaks

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/30/liverpool-history-chelsea-alex-ferguson
    "I am confident they will do their maximum," he said. "Great clubs don't throw their history and traditions away for one game. They have been in 11 European finals. They have won 18 titles. That is a fantastic history. You don't throw that away. The fans know that too. Do you think the fans want to go home saying their players capitulated and they didn't try and thinking it wouldn't happen again?"

There is a precedent. On the last day in 1995, United headed to West Ham knowing it would take a victory at Upton Park and a Liverpool win over Blackburn at Anfield to give them the title. Given that the Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish was the Blackburn manager, the situation was arguably even more complex. As it turned out, Liverpool did their job, but United were unable to capitalise.

"We were depending on Liverpool producing – and they did," recalled Ferguson. "You have to earn a right to win the title. OK, there were a lot of English players in their team that day and they understood the history of Liverpool FC. But I don't think there has been such a swing that the current players do not understand the history of Liverpool."

"It is difficult to say how Liverpool's players will feel," said Ferguson. "It is Rafa's job to prepare his players. The way we lost to Bayern Munich gave me a difficult job to raise players. But you have to do it. That is your job. It took me a couple of days to get over it. But you can't wallow in pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

22 and counting. Surely not all genuine votes?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Liverpool goalkeeper Jose Reina has bristled at the suggestion he and his team-mates would be going for anything other than a victory against Chelsea.

"I don't play for them," Spaniard Reina said. "I play for my team and my supporters.
    "I don't care what Manchester United will do. I will play to win on Sunday because I want to make sure we can get those three points and still have a chance of fourth place.

"We are playing at home and we never play for a draw or defeat. We will try to deliver a last home win of the season."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Poll should have been made public imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

As of now there is 23 sad individuals on this forum who call themselves Liverpool supporters. You are not Liverpool supporters and you never will be. Stop kidding yourselves, yous are ABUs and nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

`Watched the CL match last night with 4 other lads

2 x MU
    1 x Pool
    1 x Chelsea

the two MU heads asked the pool fella for a lend of a jersey for Sunday, the pool fella asked the Chelsea fella for a lend of a Chelsea jersey
    That was very cheeky of you!

Five of you there, who did the 5th guy support? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Any team of players that would even think about losing a game on purpose would not be in the top half of the table, they would more than likely be in the relegation zone.

How anybody can think that a Premier League team that finished second in the league last year would have the slightest inkling to throw a match is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

eagle eye wrote: »
    Any team of players that would even think about losing a game on purpose would not be in the top half of the table, they would more than likely be in the relegation zone.

How anybody can think that a Premier League team that finished second in the league last year would have the slightest inkling to throw a match is beyond me.

Realistically I think the issues is subconcious motivation.

Nobody really thinks losing the match would be in Rafa's team talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Fromvert wrote: »
    As of now there is 23 sad individuals on this forum who call themselves Liverpool supporters. You are not Liverpool supporters and you never will be. Stop kidding yourselves, yous are ABUs and nothing else.

while i agree with the sentiment, i would be shocked if a good % of those 23 weren't fans of other clubs taking the p*ss.

the ones left over, yes, ABUs through and through, not Liverpool supporters or even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Some of you might enjoy.

Via http://backpagefootball.com/columnists/opinion/sleeping-with-the-enemy/
    As pages are torn from calendars around the world, the start of the British summer may just bring the end of a season of a completely different type, but whether or not it will be Manchester United’s is the question on everyone’s lips. The second last round of games in an enthralling Barclay’s Premier League season looks set to be the most important of all. On a weekend where Manchester City, a club whose 12 month spending spree ended last August with a bill of £216m, enter into their biggest game of the season with Sunderland’s reserve keeper minding the nets for them, in the increasingly erratic world of football there are even stranger occurrences to report.

“My greatest challenge is not what’s happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their f*****g perch. And you can print that.”

- Alex Ferguson

As football rivalries come, few clubs the world over are more loathe of each other as Manchester United and Liverpool are. Years of sniping, gloating, fighting and mocking have done little to build bridges between these footballing powerhouses yet this Sunday will see fans of one club wishing the other to victory as if they had supported them all their lives.

Not since 1995 have Manchester United fans wanted Liverpool to win a game as much as this one. Back then, league leaders Blackburn Rovers travelled to Anfield and Manchester United were in desperate need for a favour from their Northwest neighbours. A 2-1 victory for Liverpool meant they got it but unfortunately for them,they failed to uphold their own duties and could not overcome a West Ham side who gave their all to spoil their opponent’s dreams.

Fifteen years (and nine League titles on), the Red Devils find themselves in a very similar position. Trailing Chelsea by a single point, a result for Liverpool against the Blues matched with a victory of their own against Sunderland would see United once more regain top spot in the league and with only a home game against Stoke remaining, surely a nineteenth title.

With Alex Ferguson speaking of Liverpool’s inherent pride and rich history, debate all week has seen fans ponder as to whether a defeat this weekend for Liverpool, an eleventh in the league this season, may just be one of their sweetest results in what has been a dismal nine months. Is an opportunity to at least delay Manchester United knocking them further from this infamous perch too hard to resist?

TV and radio shows all week have wheeled out the ex-pros for their opinions and each has vehemently claimed that Liverpool will do their utmost for victory, speaking of the pride each player has in their shirt and their desire to win every game every game they play. Far from me to question any footballing luminaries, but I wonder if this view is a little naive. As message boards throughout the world feature tales of how Pool fans will don the Chelsea blue before setting off to Anfield on Sunday, is it remiss of people to assume that somehow the players are able to remove themselves from such feelings?

Still smarting from an away goals defeat to Atletico Madrid on Thursday night, it is surely questionable as to whether any of Liverpool’s players could care less about the impact their performance against Chelsea could have in terms of deciding the destination of this years title, a prize which they themselves set out last August with realistic hopes of gaining.

The high hopes of last summer have been slowly and tortuously replaced by a feeling of emptiness and abject disappointment within the Liverpool FC community. Having not won a top division title in 20 years, the club have had to sit idly by and watch their once seemingly unsurmountable league title record be slowly eroded and then matched. Could they allow their last meaningful act of an already dire season be to give Manchester United a helping hand in taking one of the last proud records their club has from them?

New recruits like Maxi Rodriguez may not feel the same attachment to the club as others and will surely run out onto the pitch wondering what all the fuss is about should they be given the chance to do so, but what about the likes of Jamie Carragher, a player who has long said that if he were not in the squad himself, he’d be standing on the Kop supporting whoever was? He’ll never claim to be so, at least while he’s playing, but somewhere in his subconscious he must surely be sickened by the thought of United gaining yet more glory. Even worse, that he somehow aided them in doing so.

While United fans will turn Liverpool fans this weekend, they will be as unrelenting as ever in letting Liverpool know who the top dogs are in a fortnights time should their dreams come true. Could players like Carragher or Steven Gerrard allow this to happen?

Whether Carragher or Gerrard will feature at all is another hot topic of conversation. Rafael Benitez is never shy to rest players and it would be no surprise if fatigue was to be declared as a reason should Liverpool’s starting eleven be almost unrecognisable come kick-off. It could be the perfect foil.

The one thing Manchester United may have in their locker is the still existent chance of Liverpool somehow claiming fourth spot. Just two points off the pace and with sides above them facing each other, a late season charge toward the only saving grace for an awful season is not unthinkable should results go their way. If, and I’ll admit it is still a massive “if”, Liverpool players (and coaches) are thinking of playing at anything but full pace, they are also foregoing the only chance they have of saving some face as a club this season.

A popular football site ran a poll this week asking whether Liverpool fans would prefer to get fourth place or otherwise stop United from winning the title. Latest results have it a hair’s breadth in favour of the former, hardly a ringing endorsement for sportsmanship. Although many people have been pointing out that last time round, Liverpool pulled no punches against Blackburn, but a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then, and floating in that water was nine more titles for United.

Aside from all this debate, there is of course the matter of the game itself. Given the gulf in quality between the sides and the circumstances in which Liverpool enter into the match (including the absence of one of their few truly world class players) it must also be mentioned that it is quite likely that even if Liverpool do give it their all, a victory for Chelsea would still represent anything but a shock.

But why talk about that when conspiracy theories are far more fascinating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

IS there anyway to change this to a public vote? ABU's should be named and shamed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

If United do win the title this season and surpass our record it will really top off a terrible terrible season.

Im one of the biggest Liverpool fans youll get but ive already given my reasons for wanting Chelsea to win if Spurs loose and no one has the right to insult or dismiss another supporter simply beause they dont have the same view on things.

Simply put Liverpool getting fourth is more important than the Chelsea/Title run in.

However we are out of that race if Spurs win at Bolton then Liverpools 18 league title record is more important than a one off game against chelsea. People will forget we lost to Chelsea but no one will ever forget Alex Ferguson knocked us off our perch.

Edit: I still havent voted as for now I want us to win. Alot depends on the the results surrounding fourth though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

joe123 wrote: »
    If United do win the title this season and surpass our record it will really top off a terrible terrible season.

Im one of the biggest Liverpool fans youll get but ive already given my reasons for wanting Chelsea to win if Spurs loose and no one has the right to insult or dismiss another supporter simply beause they dont have the same view on things.

Simply put Liverpool getting fourth is more important than the Chelsea/Title run in.

However we are out of that race if Spurs win at Bolton then Liverpools 18 league title record is more important than a one off game against chelsea. People will forget we lost to Chelsea but no one will ever forget Alex Ferguson knocked us off our perch.

Edit: I still havent voted as for now I want us to win. Alot depends on the the results surrounding fourth though.

Just a heads up, spurs can win against bolton and liverpool can still finish above them. So does that affect your ABU stance?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This. 15 pure idiots masquerading as Liverpool fans have visited this thread already.

who exactly are you reffering to as idiots LL?? i hope its not those liverpool fans that voted that they wanted a chelsea voctory. and all this over reacting to this is ridiculous imo...

• Advertisement

Fromvert wrote: »

My goodness, your condemnation is laughable. When did everyone on here become so self righteous? So instead of hiding behind the poll and calling everyone who voted for a chelsea win a sad individual why dont you just refer to me. I am a liverpool fan through and through and me and some of my other liverpool fans will be hoping chelsea win this one. I don't need you or anyone else to tell me whether or not I'm a 'real' liverpool fan. Get off your high horse, its sad!
    SlickRic wrote: »
    while i agree with the sentiment, i would be shocked if a good % of those 23 weren't fans of other clubs taking the p*ss.

the ones left over, yes, ABUs through and through, not Liverpool supporters or even close.

Slick I'm a liverpool fan and one of my closest friends is a utd fan. He is making very vocal his support for liverpool this weekend. Does that seem right for a utd fan to do. According to everyone here Utd should just worry about their own result as if a team wins the league it will be because of their own achievements and nothng to do with anyone else's achievements. Which by the way is a load of rubbish! How many years have teams come second in the league with a very impressive team, a team that on any other season would've been more than good enough to win the league and vica versa??

Of course other teams successes and failures has a massive bearing on whether you can win the league or not. To be told that im not a liverpool fan because i dont want utd to win the league is ridiculous. I believe it to be part and parcel of being a liverpool fan to be honest. Perhaps the liverpool fans out there that want chelsea to lose this weekend are not real liverpool fans!

Advertisement