Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Chelsea Dilemma

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

You would rather see Liverpool lose so Man United don't win the league. You are hoping the team you ''support'' lose a game. How can you say you support Liverpool when you want them lose? You are an ABU and not a Liverpool supporter. Just accept it. I would guess you cheer more when Man United lose then you do when Liverpool win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Meh thread.

19 will be ours eventually.Probably wont be this year but soon. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

Fromvert wrote: »
    You would rather see Liverpool lose so Man United don't win the league. You are hoping the team you ''support'' lose a game. How can you say you support Liverpool when you want them lose? You are an ABU and not a Liverpool supporter. Just accept it. I would guess you cheer more when Man United lose then you do when Liverpool win.

I take serious offence at you saying i'm not a liverpool fan! I wish I wasnt a liverpool fan, it has brought me so much pain and anguish through the years that my life wouldve been easier if i were not one. But alas, you cannot choose the team close to your heart sometimes. What makes you qualified to tell me whether or not im a liverpool fan, give me a break! you know nothing about me, but for the record my father is a life long liverpool fan as are my two older brothers so as you can see, not only am i a liverpool fan, i have some pedigree

d22ontour wrote: »
    Meh thread.

19 will be ours eventually.Probably wont be this year but soon. :P

yes this is very true. however i still dont want it to happen this year, 4 in a row will be a massive achievement and why would i want my utd fan mate to be able to hold that over my head forever!??! to be told im not a liverpool fan because of this is laughable!! im shocked that all the liverpool fans in here are trying to take some sort of moral high ground here by claiming they want liverpool to beat chelsea. if anyone of you tell me that ye wont be happy if liverpool lose this weekend then i call into question your true liverpool fandom!! or maybe ye just have no friends that are utd fans, if ye dont i pity ye as the rivalry in football has always been my favourite part

How can you call yourself a Liverpool supporter when you want them to lose? I know that you want to see Liverpool lose so from that I can say you are not a Liverpool supporter. A Liverpool supporter would want Liverpool to win all the time and if thats effects who wins the league so be it.

Will you cheer if Chelsea score against us?
    Will you cheer if Liverpool score?
    mormank wrote: »
    but for the record my father is a life long liverpool fan as are my two older brothers so as you can see, not only am i a liverpool fan, i have some pedigree

And what has that got to do with the price of spuds?

• Advertisement

Fromvert wrote: »
    How can you call yourself a Liverpool supporter when you want them to lose? I know that you want to see Liverpool lose so from that I can say you are not a Liverpool supporter. A Liverpool supporter would want Liverpool to win all the time and if thats effects who wins the league so be it.

Will you cheer if Chelsea score against us?
    Will you cheer if Liverpool score?

And what has that got to do with the price of spuds?

if you dont understand what relevance it has then so be it.

ok so what if this were a friendly and for some reason us losing meant chelsea won the league but us winning meant utd won title number 19 and 4 in a row? who would you want to win then?? well, sir this is a meaningless game for liverpool. i am currently living in oz and have watched every game this season, meaning getting up at ridiculous hours to watch them. Now because i want utd not to win the league im not a liverpool fan all of a sudden, give me a break! its part of being a liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

y 4 in a row will be a massive achievement

This is the achievement we seek, are we good enough to achieve it...This is what most fans crave imo.It's an achievement we are no longer in control of.As it stands i would think we would beat our own record of 18 eventually i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I will be supporting my team, Liverpool, and I hope they bounce back from Thursday's disappointment and blow us all away. Having said that if we lose I won't be broken hearted.
    Wish it was a public poll - would love to know which Liverpool fans want to see their team lose.

Would never, ever, want to see United lose a game, regardless of how it might effect other teams.

Easy to say from an ivory tower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I will be supporting my team, Liverpool, and I hope they bounce back from Thursday's disappointment and blow us all away. Having said that if we lose I won't be broken hearted.

Easy to say from an ivory tower.

Well put LZ5by5.....

Of course Liverpool fans would rather see Chelsea beaten today if they were realistically still in with a solid chance of 4th, and not just statistically (ya know what I mean).

Some fans know that this is very unlikely and so will ease their pain by being happy to see their team aid Chelsea taking the title from United. This would save them from the endless taunting they would have to endure next season (banners about not being arrogant and the like!!)

Each to their own, all fans have a different perspective on what will make them happy on occasions like this...Sometimes stuff/life just ain't black and white, and tomorrow the Chelsea-Liverpool game will be one of those times!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd want United to lose if the situation was reversed. 4th place isn't an option, its gone. It would take the most absurd confluence of events for Liverpool to get 4th. As such, there's nothing for United to win, and winning is the most important thing. If you can't win, then its just about the other things, like rivalry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,733 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

PHB wrote: »
    I'd want United to lose if the situation was reversed. 4th place isn't an option, its gone. It would take the most absurd confluence of events for Liverpool to get 4th. As such, there's nothing for United to win, and winning is the most important thing. If you can't win, then its just about the other things, like rivalry.

As has already been stated. Liverpool as still not assured of 7th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This is not a dilemma. Not at all, anyone who ever wants their team to do anything other than win does not come anywhere close to the term fan, no matter what excuse they come up with.

Well put LZ5by5.....

Of course Liverpool fans would rather see Chelsea beaten today if they were realistically still in with a solid chance of 4th, and not just statistically (ya know what I mean).

Some fans know that this is very unlikely and so will ease their pain by being happy to see their team aid Chelsea taking the title from United. This would save them from the endless taunting they would have to endure next season (banners about not being arrogant and the like!!)

Each to their own, all fans have a different perspective on what will make them happy on occasions like this...Sometimes stuff/life just ain't black and white, and tomorrow the Chelsea-Liverpool game will be one of those times!!!!

Exactly the point i was trying to get across!

now we're getting more honest on here...
    Boggles wrote: »

:rolleyes: ya your right, technically 7th isnt gauranteed!! gosh you're smrt!
    CSF wrote: »
    This is not a dilema. Not at all, anyone who ever wants their team to do anythingother than win does not come anywhere close to the term fan, no matter what excuse they come up with.

Rubbish, simply put. For all the reasons ive already outlined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That's the one thing I'm hoping for, Liverpool still need a point to secure 7th. However that's assuming Everton win. Also, personally, if I was a Liverpool fan, I wouldn't want to be in UEFA. I think it'd be better for their league campaign if they didn't have any European distractions, and frankly, I couldn't give a **** about the UEFA cup.

:rolleyes: ya your right, technically 7th isnt gauranteed!! gosh you're smrt!

Whats your problem?

There is nothing technical about it. Everton win today and Liverpool lose tommorow the gap is 2 points and goes down to the last day of the season with Everton at home and Liverpool away.

It was in response to an opinion that Liverpool having nothing to play for against Chelsea, which is wrong if Everton get 3 points today.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Smary Pants!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Whats your problem?

There is nothing technical about it. Everton win today and Liverpool lose tommorow the gap is 2 points and goes down to the last day of the season with Everton at home and Liverpool away.

It was in response to an opinion that Liverpool having nothing to play for against Chelsea, which is wrong if Everton get 3 points today.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Smary Pants!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just not nice to hear Bog, that's all.

If fixtures situations were reversed i'd be hoping for a united win, i have never wanted them to lose a match, even watching the underage teams the want to see them win is still there. I find it surprising so many liverpool fans actually want chelsea to win. There is still a chance of champions league football and all they are concerned with is united. If the team goes out with that attitude they don't deserve to be in the CL. To me that speaks volumes about fans, more concerned about their mates lording it over them than the integrity of their support.

I take serious offence at you saying i'm not a liverpool fan! I wish I wasnt a liverpool fan, it has brought me so much pain and anguish through the years that my life wouldve been easier if i were not one. But alas, you cannot choose the team close to your heart sometimes. What makes you qualified to tell me whether or not im a liverpool fan, give me a break! you know nothing about me, but for the record my father is a life long liverpool fan as are my two older brothers so as you can see, not only am i a liverpool fan, i have some pedigree
    Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,437 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Xavi6 wrote: »

Must be National Liverpool Day on Boards or something.

welcome to boards.ie ;)

Pathetic.

nice contribution. when all else fails and you know you are wrong just quote the other guys post and type pathetic!! straight of the arguing online for dummies leaflet you got in the front door is it???

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

That's the one thing I'm hoping for, Liverpool still need a point to secure 7th. However that's assuming Everton win. Also, personally, if I was a Liverpool fan, I wouldn't want to be in UEFA. I think it'd be better for their league campaign if they didn't have any European distractions, and frankly, I couldn't give a **** about the UEFA cup.

I personally would prefer not to be in Europe next year, Thursday games are a disaster and imo cost us a chance of 4th this year.

However I still want us to beat Chelsea, but won't be overly upset if we don't. If Utd don't win the title it will be because of all the games they lost, including home and away to Chelsea. Nothing else. Utd fans expecting Liverpool to do what they couldn't to help them win the title is a bit much imo. Expecting them to put it a decent performance isn't expecting too much. However Utd fans know better than most that European hangovers affect the following games, never mind losing after extra time less than 3 days before the chelsea game.

I still don't believe this poll can be trusted since it is private.

• Advertisement

nice contribution. when all else fails and you know you are wrong just quote the other guys post and type pathetic!! straight of the arguing online for dummies leaflet you got in the front door is it???
    Theres no argument to be had here really. Its not a 2-sided debate or anything like that, you're just embarassing yourself by showing how little you care about your club. I'd prefer Shels won a bleedin corner than Bohs lost the league. And don't turn this into a LOI argument just because I'm a Shels fan, has nothing to do with this, just happens to be the team I support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

now we're getting more honest on here...

Because someone has the same viewpoint as you, we're getting more honest? Get real will you.

Again I find it bizzare in the extreme that you would want your team to lose. I don't think it's a hard viewpoint to understand.

Also you being worried about your man u mates slagging you really is no excuse, that comes with the territory.

Mormank you are putting a rivalry with an opposing team ahead of the team you ''support'' doing as well as they can.

You are an ABU accept it, you might feel a little better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

id expect liverpool to put out their strongest team and do everything n their power to beat chelsea at anfield. there is no way in hell those players are going out with a "lets lose this game" mentality.
    that said,
    i think chelsea have every advantage going into this game, bar the fact its not played at the bridge. liverpool played 120 mins on thursday night, chelsea havent played since the weekend, liverpool will be downbeat after the loss on thursday, (which could well prove to be a double edged sword as they may be more than eager to get a win this time out) chelsea are on the high after a 7-0 demolition of stoke and will want to keep that up.
    i think chelsea have a better bench should liverpool get an early goal. no torres, hes a weapon in front of goal. chelsea have players capable of getting the goals (malouda, lampard, drogba, anelka) that said, kyut, maxi, and yossi are capable of knicking a goal in.
    its an incredibly close game to call most certainly, make no mistake both teams want to get the 3 points, for different reasons, head and heart are backing chelsea to over power liverpool 3-1 on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

This is not a dilemma. Not at all, anyone who ever wants their team to do anything other than win does not come anywhere close to the term fan, no matter what excuse they come up with.

+1, some people musn't understand the meaning of the word supporter at all.

copacetic wrote: »
    I personally would prefer not to be in Europe next year, Thursday games are a disaster and imo cost us a chance of 4th this year.

No Chance. Ye had plenty time to recover after the European ties, getting an extra day and playing on a few Mondays.

This smacks of desperation in excuse terms and in no way did it cost Liverpool 4th. The games Liverpool lost after Europa matches were away to Arsenal and away to United.

20 losses and between 10-15 draws is the season Liverpool had, nothing to do with the fact ye played on a Thursday night.

Liverpool need to play in all the competitions they can next sesaon, because simply they need the revenue from the home ties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

I think the 'dilemma' comes down to this: do you hate Man Utd more than you love Liverpool?

And if hate is your more powerful emotion, then you're not primarily a Liverpool fan, are you? You are first and foremost a Man Utd Hater.

I'm a Liverpool fan - for my sins - and want them to win tomorrow. And every day of the week. It is still up to United to win the title by their own efforts.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

No Chance. Ye had plenty time to recover after the European ties, getting an extra day and playing on a few Mondays.

This smacks of desperation in excuse terms and in no way did it cost Liverpool 4th. The games Liverpool lost after Europa matches were away to Arsenal and away to United.

20 losses and between 10-15 draws is the season Liverpool had, nothing to do with the fact ye played on a Thursday night.

Liverpool need to play in all the competitions they can next sesaon, because simply they need the revenue from the home ties.

yawn, I don't know why I bother responding to this, but it wasn't an 'excuse' it was an opinion. I also didn't say it cost Liverpool 4th, I said imo it cost us a chance of 4th. We also dropped points that could have been wins following Thursday night games and Torres aggravated an injury in 2 of the Thursday night games also.

How you work out Liverpools '20 losses' cost them 4th, I'll not even guess.

turly wrote: »
    I think the 'dilemma' comes down to this: do you hate Man Utd more than you love Liverpool?

And if hate is your more powerful emotion, then you're not primarily a Liverpool fan, are you? You are first and foremost a Man Utd Hater.

I'm a Liverpool fan - for my sins - and want them to win tomorrow. And every day of the week. It is still up to United to win the title by their own efforts.

The dilemma does not come down to loving Liverpool or hating Utd tomorrow.......There is in this case a bit more to it and tbh in my opinion it is wrong to accuse Liverpool followers of being ABU's based on their perception of tomorrows game only

• Advertisement

The dilemma does not come down to loving Liverpool or hating Utd tomorrow.......There is in this case a bit more to it and tbh in my opinion it is wrong to accuse Liverpool followers of being ABU's based on their perception of tomorrows game only
    So should fans only care about matches that have significant bearing on what competitions the club play in next season or what trophies they win? Should fans of Blackburn, Stoke and the likes just stop caring for the 2nd half of the season then once they're safe?

yawn, I don't know why I bother responding to this, but it wasn't an 'excuse' it was an opinion. I also didn't say it cost Liverpool 4th, I said imo it cost us a chance of 4th.

Which is an excuse.
    We also dropped points that could have been wins following Thursday night games and Torres aggravated an injury in 2 of the Thursday night games also.

Meh, which games could have been wins?

Torres is a crock the past 2 seasons, is it really that important which match he got injured, he would have had ot have played at some stage in some competition.
    How you work out Liverpools '20 losses' cost them 4th, I'll not even guess.

It's actually not that hard to guess. If a team throughout a season losses 20+ games and has a smiliar amount of draws, logic dictates they ain't doing too well. Ergo why they havn't achieved 4th.

Glad to clarify.

So should fans only care about matches that have significant bearing on what competitions the club play in next season or what trophies they win? Should fans of Blackburn, Stoke and the likes just stop caring for the 2nd half of the season then once they're safe?

Of course not, (melodramatic much)?????
    Just saying that Liverpool fans would love to win this match but deep down would be still celebrating if it meant that utd were knocked a bit further from the title!!

Why is that so bloody difficult for some to grasp:confused:

I should've said "many liverpool fans" or even "some liverpool fans" before the post picking police reply!!!

Of course not, (melodramatic much)?????
    Just saying that Liverpool fans would love to win this match but deep down would be still celebrating if it meant that utd were knocked a bit further from the title!!

Why is that so bloody difficult for some to grasp:confused:
    Em you seem to have missed the tone and theme of this thread, even the thread title should clarify it for you. No1 is saying Liverpool fans should be hoping United win the league, theres nothing wrong with hoping the opposite. But this match on Sunday should be about Liverpool, there is no dilemma. If Liverpool do lose in the end, and United go on to lose the title, there is no shame in being happy that United lost the league, but not that Liverpool played a role. There is no dilemma. You support your club, and I can already categorically say that this mormank chap supports no club, no matter how much he protests with romanticised tripe to the contrary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

This thread is more about Liverpool 'fans' wanting Liverpool to lose tomorrow, not at all what you're stating.

Edit: CSF beat me to it, will press 'Submit' before putting on kettle next time :-)

Enjoy yer argument.....I'll leave ye to it:D
    Off to watch City hopefully get the 4th spot!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Its not really a dilemma.. Being realistic Liverpool have been very poor this season.. and I see an easy 3-0 win for Chelsea, and If Man Utd don't win the league its because over 38 games they were'nt good enough.. Dropping points to burnley, sunderland, blackburn, fulham and so on will have cost utd, not wether chelsea beat liverpool or not..

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Its not really a dilemma.. Being realistic Liverpool have been very poor this season.. and I see an easy 3-0 win for Chelsea, and If Man Utd don't win the league its because over 38 games they were'nt good enough.. Dropping points to burnley, sunderland, blackburn, fulham and so on will have cost utd, not wether chelsea beat liverpool or not..
    Em of course its whether Chelsea beat Liverpool or not. As bad as United may have been in the first 36 games, thats only been one point worse than Chelsea have been. If Chelsea fail to beat Liverpool, and United win. United have been at least a point better than Chelsea. Simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

They are. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Chelsea will hammer Liverpool I'd say :(

But I hope Liverpool win or get a draw.

Just can't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Chelsea haven't hammered us for 6 years if I have the year of that 4-1 reverse right?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

noodler wrote: »
    Chelsea haven't hammered us for 6 years if I have the year of that 4-1 reverse right?

Yep, 05/06 season.

Think we played Chelsea twice within the space of 4 days, in the league and CL group stage.

Em you seem to have missed the tone and theme of this thread, even the thread title should clarify it for you. No1 is saying Liverpool fans should be hoping United win the league, theres nothing wrong with hoping the opposite. But this match on Sunday should be about Liverpool, there is no dilemma. If Liverpool do lose in the end, and United go on to lose the title, there is no shame in being happy that United lost the league, but not that Liverpool played a role. There is no dilemma. You support your club, and I can already categorically say that this mormank chap supports no club, no matter how much he protests with romanticised tripe to the contrary.

Eh, thats not true, i support liverpool like...:P

Ok so you guys are clearly all much better fans than i am...oh well. hope ye enjoy the view from up there!! I cant wait to cheer on chelsea now tomorrow but dont worry, liverpool will be supported in my house tomorrow, by my utd fan mate!!!

Thanks for the laugh guys...you really are insane!!

Ok so you guys are clearly all much better fans than i am...oh well. hope ye enjoy the view from up there!! I cant wait to cheer on chelsea now tomorrow but dont worry, liverpool will be supported in my house tomorrow, by my utd fan mate!!!

You know that saying mormank "ye'd fight with your own toenails"....Well that springs to mind trying to discuss this with some of these guys, best to let them have the last word and head away.....seriously, some of them need that last word as much as they need oxygen:)

You know your own thoughts on Liverpool and that's what counts!!!!
    My thoughts anyway

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Enjoy watching your new team chelsea from now on then! ;) Tbh you picked a good time to switch sides! Two matches left and all;)

lordgoat wrote: »
    Enjoy watching your new team chelsea from now on then! ;) Tbh you picked a good time to switch sides! Two matches left and all;)

Nope its a one match kinda fling im having with chelsea!! then itll be back to the daily grind of liverpool :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Liverpool more or less have 7th secure but I want to see a committed performance from whoever 11 Liverpool players take the field tomorrow and go try win the game. If Chelsea come on top **** it, its the small minded mentality that some of our supporters have that distinguishes between true followers and glory hunters.

If Utd are to win number 19 good look to them, we are Liverpool Football Club and that is who I support and tomorrow included. **** Chelsea and **** Man Utd Liverpool is the team I adore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I just cannot imagine ever cheering against my team or wanting them to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Nope its a one match kinda fling im having with chelsea!! then itll be back to the daily grind of liverpool :cool:

Your a small minded Liverpool supporter, stick with Chelsea buddy with the kind of supporters like your around you and Chelsea deserve each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Liverpool could grab 6th by winning tomorrow every place is worth an extra £750,000

• Advertisement
Advertisement