Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharepoint - how much know-how is necessary?

Options
  • 29-04-2010 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm not particularly computer literate, but I need to develop some sort of very basic sharepoint site in which I can store some docs that will need to be seen by my company sites in Ireland and in the US. Where is the best place for me to learn about sharepoint quickly and to get started? I've been to the MS website, but that didn't inspire me greatly.

Thanks,
    A.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

This could be quite complicated, or extremely easy depending on how much of this you need to do yourself and how much of the infrastructure is already in place. There's 3 basic elements here.

1. The SharePoint server: you will need to have a SharePoint installed and configured on a server somewhere. If you don't have this in place, setting it up is reasonably difficult for someone who isn't computer literate, but can be managed.

2. Your SharePoint site and document libraries to hold your documents. This is very easy.

3. Allowing remote access to your site. This can be done two ways, either you need to put up a public facing webserver, or the remote users need to gain access to your network via some type of VPN. If your remote users can already access your network and see resources on your servers (or ideally if you already have other SharePoint sites that they can see) then this is easy. If not it's going to be very very difficult, and would definitely need professionals involved.

If you can describe your situation in more detail and what resources you already have in place I can guide further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Sharepoint was made specifically to allow people who aren't web developers to create and manage their own websites. That being said, at the very least you are expected to be computer literate to the degree that you can find your way around using the interface.

From a technical point of view, when it works it tends to work pretty well but when it doesn't, it's a complete nightmare. The support from M$ is terrible, and when I was developing on it 2 years ago, there weren't that many people using it so that not much knowledge was forthcoming on technical forums.

In terms of learning it, install sharepoint on a virtual machine and then dive in. Google is most definitely your friend here.

Advertisement