Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quicken; where to buy

• 29-04-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭

I have used Quicken as a home accounting package for 15 years. Unfortunately today when I tried to load Quicken 2000 onto my new computer with Windows 7 I was told that it does not support the application. Does anyone know where in Ireland I could buy a recent edition of Quicken (eg 2010) that will work with Windows 7. I can't find anywhere on Google. Also if in the end I am forced to migrate to Money is it easy to transfer records form Quicken?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Can you not buy it directly from their website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    Can you not buy it directly from their website?
    The Quicken website in the US does not support online purchase from Ireland or indeed from any other European country. So if anyone knows where I can get it here I am still interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

You can download quickbooks simplestart from intuit.co.uk. They also have a free version if you have less than 20 customers/suppliers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Right click on the setup file or .exe file. Go to properties, then compatibility and then run in whatever mode of Windows its supposed to work on.

alternatively you can run Windows XP mode, which runs a full scale windows xp virtual machine which hosts the app.

Right click on the setup file or .exe file. Go to properties, then compatibility and then run in whatever mode of Windows its supposed to work on.

alternatively you can run Windows XP mode, which runs a full scale windows xp virtual machine which hosts the app.

Thanks. When I run the Quicken disc I get a message saying that the programme is incompatible with systems on the computer. So it is not possible to get into a Quicken Setup or .exe file - if that is what you are saying. But not being technically literate maybe I have misunderstood you.
    On the second suggestion does this mean that I run my whole system in XP or can it be restricted just to the Quicken app?
    It's an interesting approach and if possible I would like to use it to get my files up and running on the new laptop but I want to use Windows 7 for all my other apps. BTW I see you can purchase Quicken 2010 for Windows 7 from Amazon.com. I'm sure there is a heavy customs duty to be paid.
    Ps As with the Inuit website Amazon.com will not ship Quicken to Europe or allow it to be downloaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm assuming its on a cd? Open up "my computer", open the disk manually, look for a setup.exe file and do the instructions above.

I'm assuming its on a cd? Open up "my computer", open the disk manually, look for a setup.exe file and do the instructions above.
    Yep. It's on a CD. I opened it in Computer, right clicked on Install, selected the compatibility box, followed the instructions, hit run program....nothing. I tried it on XP, 2000, 98 and 95. I did the same procedure on Setup with the same result. At the end I get a troubleshoot message saying the programme is incompatible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Aeneas wrote: »
    On the second suggestion does this mean that I run my whole system in XP or can it be restricted just to the Quicken app?

Xp Mode is a the full XP operating system running on virtual machine inside Windows 7.

It's only for Windows 7 Pro and above but you can get it running on Home Premium too. Search how to in google and it should come up.

When XP Mode is installed (you will need to download it, about 550mb) you can start up XP from within Windows 7, then install Quicken on XP.

Quicken should then show up in your Windows 7 start menu (all programs) under the title "Quicken (Windows XP mode)".

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Xp Mode is a the full XP operating system running on virtual machine inside Windows 7.

It's only for Windows 7 Pro and above but you can get it running on Home Premium too. Search how to in google and it should come up.

When XP Mode is installed (you will need to download it, about 550mb) you can start up XP from within Windows 7, then install Quicken on XP.

Quicken should then show up in your Windows 7 start menu (all programs) under the title "Quicken (Windows XP mode)".

Thanks. That's pretty clear. Am I right in my understanding that if I do this my computer will work on Windows 7 (it's Home Premium) for all programmes and processes except for the one ap that I have installed on XP? And I presume that when I install XP it's obvious to a non techie like me how to operate it to install XP programmes?

Thanks. That's pretty clear. Am I right in my understanding that if I do this my computer will work on Windows 7 (it's Home Premium) for all programmes and processes except for the one ap that I have installed on XP?

Yes you will have Windows 7 as your operating system.

Windows XP can then be opened from within Windows 7, it will be inside a window like any other program and can be maximised to full screen, while Windows 7 will still be alive underneath.

When you install applications onto your virtualized XP they should then appear in the Windows 7 start menu for convenience.

You can have applications running on the virtualized XP and applications installed on Windows 7 running side by side. i.e. Browse the web and listen to music using applcations running on Windows 7 while also using Quicken running in XP mode.

If you find the process of getting XP mode up and running on Home Premium, then you can use something like VirtualBox to set up a virtual machine and install XP if you have the disk lying around.
    And I presume that when I install XP it's obvious to a non techie like me how to operate it to install XP programmes?

Yes once you have XP mode installed, basically start it up, pop in the CD (XP mode will have access to your CD drive) and from within XP start the installation process. Once installed you can close the XP mode window and a shortcut to your new application should appear in the Windows 7 start menu.

• Advertisement

Yes you will have Windows 7 as your operating system.

Windows XP can then be opened from within Windows 7, it will be inside a window like any other program and can be maximised to full screen, while Windows 7 will still be alive underneath.

When you install applications onto your virtualized XP they should then appear in the Windows 7 start menu for convenience.

You can have applications running on the virtualized XP and applications installed on Windows 7 running side by side. i.e. Browse the web and listen to music using applcations running on Windows 7 while also using Quicken running in XP mode.

If you find the process of getting XP mode up and running on Home Premium, then you can use something like VirtualBox to set up a virtual machine and install XP if you have the disk lying around.

Yes once you have XP mode installed, basically start it up, pop in the CD (XP mode will have access to your CD drive) and from within XP start the installation process. Once installed you can close the XP mode window and a shortcut to your new application should appear in the Windows 7 start menu.

Thanks for taking the trouble to explain all this. I looked up the workaround for installing XP on Win 7 Home Premium and to be truthful I find it a little daunting. Plus on one of the sites you needed an XP disc to complete the operation. My fear would be that I would bugger up the OS and create more problems than I could solve. So I have decided instead to purchase Quicken 2010 have it shipped to a friend in the US who will send it on to me. A roundabout way but necessary because neither Quicken nor Amazon will ship it directly to Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I'm in the same situation as OP in that I've been using Quicken 98 for years now and I can't install it on Windows 7. I tried following the instructions given in an earlier post but I couldn't find the compatibility option in Properties.

Can I just get an explanation again about running XP in virtual mode to run Quicken and a couple of other programs that I would like to use now in Windows 7 ?

chughes wrote: »
    I'm in the same situation as OP in that I've been using Quicken 98 for years now and I can't install it on Windows 7. I tried following the instructions given in an earlier post but I couldn't find the compatibility option in Properties.

Can I just get an explanation again about running XP in virtual mode to run Quicken and a couple of other programs that I would like to use now in Windows 7 ?

Firstly, what version of Windows 7 do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Firstly, what version of Windows 7 do you have?

Bob, it's Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).

Advertisement