Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimax or UPC

• 29-04-2010 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi there I currently using smart telecom as my broadband provider but am looking to change, was thinking of going toeither Wimax or UPC. Just lookin for some advice. I'm paying €45 at the moment for 3mb.Would appreciate any thoughts out there. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

I get 30Mb from UPC for €42. A great service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

upc will be more stable and reliable than wimax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

With UPC it can depend on where you are.....I'm in Swords and have been having ongoing problems with them with my Phone and BB service, all started in March and still not resolved yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 10 colmcc2

When I lived in Balinteer (3 years ago), UPC/NTL cable broadband was available in my estate and it was fab, and very stable. I then moved about a 1 KM up the road to another estate where UPC/NTL cable BB is not available and I am stuck with DSL/phone line BB. I have been contacting UPC for 3 years to see if my estate is due for rollout of cable and still no sign of it. If you can get cable BB in your location, go for it as DSL is far less stable.
    I also found out that I am tied to the Ballyboden telephone exchange that is NOT due to be upgraded to 8mb anytime soon.
    Oh I wish I had cable broadband !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

colmcc2 don't get me wrong when it works it's great......but since mid March it's been crap....intermittent connections, being cut off phone calls......absolute rubbish!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Definitely UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's far more likely that UPC would bring a better service than Imagine, even though UPC has got problems in some areas. If you give a location, you might get a better idea of what they are both like in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭daz76

Hi all

Thanks for the replies looks like UPC is the favourite, from reading other forums it looks like Wimax gets a slating.

I'm living in Kilnamanagh, Dublin 24 not sure what the 2 services are like in this area although Wimax is not up and running yet they are talking about the end of May/June time.

Looks like there are a lot of angry:mad: Wimax customers out there, UPC seem to be offering better package with 15mb/phone deal for same money as Wimax 7mb/phone deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

Hi I'm thinking of getting Wimax instead of DSL.
    I don't have access to UPC unfortunately but I am definitely interested in avoiding line rental.

Is it worth giving up ordinary DSL for wimax?
    I'm not a big downloader, the most important thing is ok browsing and some bittorrenting but I don't mind if it's not blindingly fast just so long as it works.. also don't do gaming online that much

[Edit] I know there are loads of threads about wimax but is the wimax they're marketing as a DSL replacement actually good enough to do that or is it just midband really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Personally, I've made the switch to UPC, and I can't praise them enough.
    They are different to NTL back in the day, and they do provide the best broadband in Ireland, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Do you still need to have NTL Digital tv to be able to take BB from them? i have the 8mb connection in my own place and have to say despite some problems after getting it in, once resolved it works very well.

My folks are looking to move from Irish BB and i was suggesting Imagine but it doesnt seem to be getting great reviews here. Ntl would be a good option for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

liger wrote: »
    Do you still need to have NTL Digital tv to be able to take BB from them? i have the 8mb connection in my own place and have to say despite some problems after getting it in, once resolved it works very well.

My folks are looking to move from Irish BB and i was suggesting Imagine but it doesnt seem to be getting great reviews here. Ntl would be a good option for them.

no you can just get broadband however there is a standalone fee applied of just under €8

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

liger wrote: »

My folks are looking to move from Irish BB and i was suggesting Imagine

Irish BB are owned by Imagine, they are basically the same company now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

I was with eircom and it worked great until year ago, then after 4 months of constant problems i moved to UPC.
    UPC was great until they started "upgrade" , last 3 months have been very bad. Phone not working, internet very slow ; getting only 15% of bandwidth I'm paying for at peek times. Only realised how good Eircom support was once i had to deal with UPC support!

When UPC works its great but god help you if you have a problem and need to call thier support staff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I think it depends where you are, as my internet is very good indeed, and I get top speeds all the time. They're no sharing too, unlike many other providers. The phone is very good also. However, I have been having some slight outages; I can think of three. However, these are fixed and haven't had them in weeks. They only lasted a few minutes anyway, with the longest being two hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Irish BB are owned by Imagine, they are basically the same company now.

True but if his parents are still recieving their Breeze service and not their WiMax service then it should be alot more reliable.

Advertisement