Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Twin Peaks

• 29-04-2010 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Any fans? Just finished watching the entire season and loved it! It does lose it's way slightly at times but it's fantastic. The acting is so capmy at times but that's it's charm! Funny characters, great storylines and a surreal sense of humor. Genuis.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Yes bigtime! Watched it last year and loved it! It has not dated at all I think! I watched a few XFiles around the same time and they were completely dated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I watched all the episodes over a few weeks there recently. What a ****ing pile of horse ****. It's so bad, weird and whacked, that in a weird and strange way it's genius. The creators and story writers to come up with such crap have to be talented. You couldn't make it up if you tried.

I am going to watch the prequel to Twin Peaks very soon. "Fire, Walk With Me," I think it's called.

The soundtrack for Twin Peaks is awesome, haunting and inspiring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

BTW, Audrey Horne (Sherilynn Fenn) is IMO the most stunning and erotic looking woman
    to ever appear on tv. So freaking sexy! Followed closely by Shelly Johnston (Madchen Amick)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

walshb wrote: »
    BTW, Audrey Horne (Sherilynn Fenn) is IMO the most stunning and erotic looking woman
    to ever appear on tv. So freaking sexy! Followed closely by

Shelly for me! Breathtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I watched the first season of this recently and loved it. I'd heard it was both good and exceptionally strange, and iti didn't let me down. Really want to get the 2nd season now at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I've been meaning to watch this for a while now but I already know the big plot twist, thanks to accidentally reading a spoiler online. Do you think it would still be possible to watch it and enjoy it while knowing the outcome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I started watching this about 2 months ago and havent yet finished. Its completely and utterly nuts. I remember watching it as a child and it scaring the crap out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

i'd love to watch this again!! I remember watching it a bit years ago was a little young for it back then tho:cool: remember being scared by one episode:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I'm the same. I saw it as a young child and really wanted to like it as all the adults liked it, but it creeped me out.

Homer sums it up for me...

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

kenon wrote: »
    I'm the same. I saw it as a young child and really wanted to like it as all the adults liked it, but it creeped me out.

yeah your right it was definitely more creepy than scary.
    wish i had the dvd..

the theme tune is classic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I've been meaning to watch this for a while now but I already know the big plot twist, thanks to accidentally reading a spoiler online. Do you think it would still be possible to watch it and enjoy it while knowing the outcome?
    Do you mean you know who killed Laura Palmer? If so, doesn't really matter. In fact David Lynch never wanted it to be solved at all but was forced to by the networks. He just wanted to use the murder as a launching board to investigate the weird world of Twin Peaks.
    susanroth wrote:
    yeah your right it was definitely more creepy than scary.
    Not when it comes to BOB. BOB is still the scariest character ever in a TV show.

The show is really quite screwed up. It's ambiguous and dream-like at times, and really set the tone for many shows to come. It dipped a little in S2 but picked up towards the end and that final scene... was extremely memorable. I won't say more than that for those who haven't seen it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I actually began to watch it from the start again recently. My memory is hazy on it as I was young when it was first broadcast on Irish TV.
    It's a shame none of the British satellites don't show it on repeat. They show a hell of a lot of other shít in it's place on repeat.
    The aloof and creepy nature of the going ons are really appealing.

ixoy wrote: »

Not when it comes to BOB. BOB is still the scariest character ever in a TV show.

So true, he freaks me out bigtime! Interesting piece of trivia
    The character of Bob came about when David Lynch had a sudden image of set decorator Frank Silva hidden in Laura Palmer's room. Lynch filmed the infamous shot of Silva hiding behind Laura's bed without any idea of what he would use it for. Later, when filming a shot of Sarah Palmer (Grace Zabriskie) sitting up and screaming, Lynch noticed that Silva's reflection was visible in the shot, purely by accident. Lynch then came up with the idea of BOB as an other-worldly spirit, giving birth to the series mythology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Travel is good

You're right, Bob is scary! I'm currently half-way through the box set. I loved it when it was originally on TV. To me, that's the whole point of the series, it's all the background stories, the camp, kitsch, scenery, strange people, relationships etc. I mean, who could beleive that there was so much trouble in such a quiet town? Solving the murder of Laura Palmer was only incidental. The story continues long after that.

I started watching more of David Lynch's work, and "Blue Velvet" is one of my favourite movies.

I can see myself watching Twin Peaks over and over again. I must order "Fire, walk with me" also. I saw it in the cinema a long time ago and couldn't quite figure it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

First series was inspired. And will leave it at that

I always crack up when Leland dances:D

David Lynch,great director and comic actor!!

That's right! I remember seeing him in some of the episodes. I'm making my way up to Series 2, looking forward to it.

Why are some people not watching the 2nd Series? you just have to watch it all!

I also have the soundtrack, it's so haunting.

I also get a bit confused between Leland & Ben Horn, does anyone else think they look alike? I also can't figure out why many of the actresses names sound similar, Sherilyn Fenn, Sheryl Lee etc.

What is the thing about Audrey's shoes? Maybe it's areference to the Wizard of Oz.

I better stop now, there is probably too many conspiracy theories. That's what i love about the series, it's hard to figure out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Do you mean you know who killed Laura Palmer? If so, doesn't really matter. In fact David Lynch never wanted it to be solved at all but was forced to by the networks. He just wanted to use the murder as a launching board to investigate the weird world of Twin Peaks.

Yeah, I know who killed her. I might give it a look then, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Yeah, I know who killed her. I might give it a look then, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

It's well worth it! Pour yourself a hot cup of Joe with some cherry pie and press play on the dvd player!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

zimovain wrote: »
    It's well worth it! Pour yourself a hot cup of Joe with some cherry pie and press play on the dvd player!!
    Shame Foux knows the ending but the way the killer was revealed was quite interesting. Of course they took it one step too far by making a movie out of it which has to be one of the worst movies of all time.
    David Lynch and Mark Frost of Hill Street Blues fame were involved early on in the TV series but once the two took a back seat it began to flounder a bit.
    But first three or four episodes was about the best bit of tv I have ever seen.And Kyle McLachlan (Agent Dale Cooper) has really re-invented himself in Desperate Housewives which is a very good sign of an actor.

I agree, I'm delighted to see Kyle McLachlan on TV again. I thought he was great.

Don't forget the cherry coke with the apple pie, if you don't want coffee!

It's just classic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Remember watching it 1990-91, thought it was hilarious. Those traffic lights a bit creepy.

Yes, I thought so too. I wasn't sure why they needed traffic lights, you never see many cars. Eerie...

I'm up to Part 7 of the complete box set. It's the bit where Agent Cooper is buying a house in Twin Peaks.

This is a great way to view it as way back in the bad old days, if you missed an episode that was tough. I think I have a few videotapes of Twin Peaks also, remember them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Didn't know it was out as a box set. Must check Amazon for it. I remember buying the cassette tape (!!) of the sound track, playing it over and over. Thinking back, it was a bit weird. :eek:

god i kept trying to think of the theme song and i'd get the start then it would somehow turn into country practice:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I've watched this series several times since it first aired. The first 16 or so episodes are great and pretty much blow most of what's on tv at the moment away. It was only after the killer was revealed and Lynch stopped directing the episodes that it started to go downhill. That's when they started bring in all the supernatural "black lodge" stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

thanks,knows the next thing im going to watch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the second series has only just come out of a because of a dispute and is now available so i haven't bought that yet
    i remember i was doing my leaving at the time and not studying when it was on

madmaggie wrote: »
    Didn't know it was out as a box set. Must check Amazon for it. I remember buying the cassette tape (!!) of the sound track, playing it over and over. Thinking back, it was a bit weird. :eek:
    Yes, definitely buy it on Amazon, it's cheaper. Buy the complete box set if you can.

From what you are all saying, the series goes downhill from here? I'm more than half-way through. Anyhow I'll watch it all, as I didn't catch it the first time round.

From what you are all saying, the series goes downhill from here? I'm more than half-way through. Anyhow I'll watch it all, as I didn't catch it the first time round.
    It does for a bit - the middle of the second season is particularly weak. In that time we have the worst plot thread I've ever sat through. It's focused on one character who is so dull (and so poorly acted) that I kept wishing BOB would eviscerate them somehow.

Towards the end though it picked up. It depends on whether you like the supernatural angle or not and to see the show go even weirder (and a really weird finale). An interesting arc also starts up in the final five/six episodes that really brings the pace up. Plus there's the closing moments of the show :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

It does for a bit - the middle of the second season is particularly weak. In that time we have the worst plot thread I've ever sat through. It's focused on one character who is so dull (and so poorly acted) that I kept wishing BOB would eviscerate them somehow.

Towards the end though it picked up. It depends on whether you like the supernatural angle or not and to see the show go even weirder (and a really weird finale). An interesting arc also starts up in the final five/six episodes that really brings the pace up. Plus there's the closing moments of the show :)
    How's Annie?! That episode was great.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Which thread was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

i love this show it was brillant and so original

• Advertisement

Which thread was that?
    James has a really boring affair with some woman after he wimps off out of Twin Peaks. During this time he maintains some classic vehicles. She's using him of course
    but every time the plot is on, I felt like shoving burning needles into my eyes and ears.

James has a really boring affair with some woman after he wimps off out of Twin Peaks. During this time he maintains some classic vehicles. She's using him of course
    but every time the plot is on, I felt like shoving burning needles into my eyes and ears.

That was pointless without doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I watched the final episode last night and it was a complete and utter mind****. :eek: I'm still in shock.
    I stopped watching for a while when I got to the halfway point of the second series as it dragged, but stick through it and its completely worth it. I have so many questions!!

I'm quite tempted to watch Fire Walk With Me, even though it sounds horrendous.

The soundtrack is amazing, its by the same guy who scored The City of Lost Children.

You've given me the inspiration to get back into it again. i'm only half way through the box set. The digital recorder on ntl has taken up my small bit of free time.

Don't tell me what happens, as I never got to see the whole series when it originally came out.

So far I love it, I always did. I'm at the part where David Lynch himself is in an episode.

So far I love it, I always did. I'm at the part where David Lynch himself is in an episode.

I'm listening to the soundtrack now. I spent the best part of two hours looking at fansites and getting all nostalgic that I wasn't around at the time of the original airing as there was transcripts of news groups... ah the 90s. i've bookmarked the recordings of Cooper's Diana tapes on youtube.

• Advertisement

Such a massive crush on Shelly:cool:

zimovain wrote: »
    Such a massive crush on Shelly:cool:

I'm a straight female but I do too! All the ladies are absolutely gorgeous!!

Is the dvd boxset worth getting - what are the quality of extras like?

I watched the two seasons and then the movie there a couple of years ago..its brilliant...i thought the movie was brilliant as well..tied the whole thing together..gave a glimpse into what life was like before the murder..i was seeing bob whenever i looked in the mirror there for a while too..david lynch is a genius..

That is weird. I'm straight too, but those women are beautiful! I guess most of us love women like these, a lot of women like Marilyn Monroe, Jennifer Anniston too.

Yes, the box set is definitely well worth getting.

That soundtrack is amazing. I bought it years ago and it's one of my favourite CDs. I never hear much about Julee Cruse (I'm not sure if I have the right spelling) afterwards. Pretty haunting stuff.

Doesn't the opening sountrack to Twin Peaks (TV series) just give you goosebumps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Don't see why some TP fans avoid the movie. Well worth the watch in my opinion.

Must splash out on the box set.

That is weird. I'm straight too, but those women are beautiful! I guess most of us love women like these, a lot of women like Marilyn Monroe, Jennifer Anniston too.

Yes, the box set is definitely well worth getting.

That soundtrack is amazing. I bought it years ago and it's one of my favourite CDs. I never hear much about Julee Cruse (I'm not sure if I have the right spelling) afterwards. Pretty haunting stuff.

Doesn't the opening sountrack to Twin Peaks (TV series) just give you goosebumps?

Yes, I love the fact that its five minutes long on the ost as well.

Tbh, the actors never really made it big time after that. Kyle MacL is the only one I can think of, but his star didn't really soar.

That's right, I love Kyle (Blue Velvet). I was a bit disappointed when he turned up in Desperate Housewives, thought he could have had a better career.

David Lynch seems to like playing beautiful actreses against weird happenings. Laura Dern & Issabella Rosselini, and the beautiful Kyle McLachlan and Denis Hopper, in Blue Velvet. I rember way back when TP was being shown (early 90's) that a colleague advised me to catch some other of David Lynch's films.

Twin Peaks is classic though, I love that it's so retro!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The scene in which Laura's killer is revealed is the greatest scene in television history as far as I'm concerned. Nothing else comes close. It's so good it's almost too good for a tv show. Every time I see it I wish Lynch had saved it and used it in a film instead. Most of the time, television is just filmed theatre, but that scene is pure cinema.

Speaking of Lynch, I wish he'd get up off his arse and make another film already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Noeladishi

season 2 gets so much more disturbing, but also worse.

The scene in which Laura's killer is revealed is the greatest scene in television history as far as I'm concerned. Nothing else comes close. It's so good it's almost too good for a tv show.
    "Leland says you're going back to Misoula - MONTANA!" Bloody freaky scene and yes, one of the best that I've ever seen in TV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement