Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for 80km cycle??

• 29-04-2010 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

As a complete newbie to cycling I recently took part in an 80km charity cycle with a few mates and must say I really enjoyed it. I purchased a decent road bike earlier in the year on the bike to work scheme and had completed regular shorter training spins before doing the 80km.

Anyway, I completed the 80k in just over 3 hours (3:12 approx.) and was wondering whether this is good/bad etc. I am considering joining up with a cycling club maybe but was wondering what the standard is like and whether I would be left behind if I joined up with experienced cyclists??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

I was an 80km step-up spin with Orwell in January, and that was 2:57, so you'd fit right in with the non-newbies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Chimayland

80km in just over 3 hours is good going. Most club spins do 3 hour spins and would come in around 3 hours. Definitely join a club and sit in on training spins till you build yourself up more. Do plenty of leisure tours and enjoy them. Racing is a big step up so concentrate on getting the miles into your legs if you plan going down that road.

The more experienced racing guys will probably be do there own training anyway as they will be on specific programs and most clubs have plenty of leisure cyclists to cycle with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

did the innisfree wheelers tour of the three counties last sat. in 3 hours 82km (lead group was about 2.5 i think, long gone by the time i got back)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Chimayland wrote: »
    Most club spins do 3 hour spins and would come in around 3 hours.
    That's a pretty good time for a 3 hour spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

blorg wrote: »
    That's a pretty good time for a 3 hour spin.

good pacing too. my 3 hour spins can take 4 or more !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

I did 80K in Connemara last Saturday (Aware Charity Cycle)... came in 2hrs 43mins. Nasty headwind for part of it out by the coast too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Chimayland

Okay, Okay!!! I meant to say 80km in 3 hours. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 GhostNeverLies

Mr Velo wrote: »
    I did 80K in Connemara last Saturday (Aware Charity Cycle)... came in 2hrs 43mins. Nasty headwind for part of it out by the coast too.

That's the cycle we did as well, don't talk to me about that headwind, couldn't even gain proper momemtum going downhill on one or two occasions! Don't think I ever fully appreciated how big a factor the wind is in cycling til last Saturday....

Anyone any advice on a good cycling club for a beginner in Galway then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭jautukas87

Anyone any advice on a good cycling club for a beginner in Galway then?

http://westcoastwheelers.com/ OR http://www.galwaybaycycling.com/

I'm registering with WCW. I think you can go on spins from both clubs once you're member of one of them.

Advertisement