Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole Drug Test?

Options
  • 29-04-2010 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭

I just got a chain E-mail from a mate and I think it actually raises a good point..
    I work, they pay me. I pay my taxes and the government distributes my
    taxes as it sees fit.

In order to earn that pay cheque, I work on a rig for a drilling
    contractor. I am required to pass a random urine test for drugs and
    alcohol, with which I have no problem.

What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my taxes to people
    who don't have to pass a urine test.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a benefits cheque because
    I have to pass one to earn it for them?

Please understand that I have no problem with helping people get back on their feet.

I do on the other hand have a problem with helping someone sit on their
    arse drinking booze, smoking dope and generally taking all kinds of
    drugs.

Could you imagine how much money the government would save if people had
    to pass a urine test to get a benefit cheque?

Please pass this along if you agree or simply delete it if you don't.

Hope you will pass it along though, because something has to change and soon!

So what do you think?

Should drug screening procedures be put in place for people drawing the dole?
    If they test positive, tough luck Jimmy, no cash for you.

Or is the system fine as it is?

Should unimployment benefit require a drugs test? 352 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    47% 166 votes
    Atari Doleuar
    52% 186 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

That'd be a great way to save money. (If the cost of setting it up isn't more that the money saved.)

Weed should be a luxury that you can't afford on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You should post that up on "Your Country, Your Call" - it'd save the country a bloody fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Jebus H Christ.

Why do people think of people on the dole as some sort of second class citizen.

Social welfare is there to provide for emergency situations where people find themselves out of work.

Engineers, Lawyers, Architects and nearly half a million people are out of work. These people CANNOT survive on 200 bucks a week.

Now you want to piss test them? How. Seriously. Are you going to have the state pay for 450,000 Urine tests periodically under the guise of saving money? It would cost far more than the 200 a week you're paying now

Stupid bigoted people and a stupid bigoted idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭keithg89

what will i spend your money on then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Should we have a spelling test before people can post on boards.

"unimployment" - come on there are just no excuses for this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I can't believe I'm actually replying to such a fuckwitted thread but what if you get made redundant and there are traces of drugs still in your system from when you were employed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i have to say no, it sounds really stupid.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I don't see why tbh, there are plenty of perfectly functioning people who work during the week and use recreational drugs at the weekend, so if the point of the test is to weed out who's elegible for the dole, i.e. jobseekers/ those fit to work, and those who aren't, then I think it would be a bit unfair..

That's just my 2 cents tbh.. A p1ss test to see if people are working nixers while on the dole would be much more practical tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

But all the scumbags* on the dole will just have their endless line of kids supply urine for them to pass the test. Then make more money by selling urine to the scumbags who have no kids of their own. Its a vicious circle.

Plus your not going to be in any rush to light up a joint on an oil rig.

*Might feature some stereotyping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

So if you lose your job, you can't use your €200 a week to have a few drinks, from the off licence even? Or the occasional joint, if that's what you prefer? It's maybe €10 for a few beers out of the €200, I don't know what a joint would cost tbh because I can't find a good dealer don't smoke it. Is that so bad really?

Ridiculous. People on the dole are mostly hoping for work and miserable that they have none, why make it worse because some spend the money exclusively on alcohol or drugs? Ridiculous idea.

And worse, what if they have a partner who does work who pays for their drinks? Are they booted from the dole then?

This is a major invasion of privacy, I call shenanigans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not everyone on the dole are drug using scumbags. Besides if they want to spend their food money on hashish then be it.
    We can't live their life for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

is the spelling mistake intentional??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Stupid idea. I worked, I paid taxes, lost my job and I'm now recieving welfare payments which I am entitled to. I don't work for the social welfare, so what I choose to do in my own time is my business and nobody elses.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I think it'd be beneficial in certain cases.. Say for anyone on the dole for 2 years or more. If they're found to be on drugs then they can be assisted in getting over their addiction, and thus back on the road to employment

bazmaiden wrote: »
    is the spelling mistake intentional??

Ententional?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Ridiculous suggestion.

I gave up my job to return to college to finish my degree, came out third level qualified and there isn't a job there any more for me to even apply for.

There are thick sh*tes sitting comfy on secure jobs and there are plenty of intelligent people on the dole scraping by, OP's mate sounds like a thick sh*te, let him quit his job and give it to me if pissing in a cup is so tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Ententional?;)

intentional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Same old punish-the-dole-drawers horseshit.

At least change the tune or look around and see the people who have really bled the country dry.

I think it'd be beneficial in certain cases.. Say for anyone on the dole for 2 years or more. If they're found to be on drugs then they can be assisted in getting over their addiction, and thus back on the road to employment

If anyone is found to have alcohol in their system will be sent to AA so they "can be assisted in getting over their addiction, and thus back on the road to employment"?

Lets euthanise anyone thats on the dole for longer than 2 years :pac:

• Advertisement

lonad wrote: »
    intentional

The fact that sacrcasm doesn't translate onto the internet inrages me.

Social welfare is there to provide for emergency situations where people find themselves out of work.

Engineers, Lawyers, Architects and nearly half a million people are out of work. These people CANNOT survive on 200 bucks a week.

Social Welfare is supposed to be there to provide emergency support for those who find themselves out of work. Unfortunately, for a long, long time it has become a career choice for many people who couldn't be ars*d working & is designed in such a way that it is actually an attractive choice for many people.

It wasn't designed for the situation we are in now - many of the professionals you mentioned above were hit by the collapse of the construction industry which started around 2 years ago. A lot of them no longer recieve benefits as they have run out & others, who were self employed, never recieved any in the first place.

Meanwhile, the scobies & layabouts still get their "entitlements", minus the Christmas "bonus". (The government didn't "think of the kids" there!)

Pay Related Social Insurance is one of the most inappropriately named things ever - it is pay related alright, but only related to what you are being paid.

As for drug testing? Jesus H. Why not just shoot them?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

bring back butter vouchers!

The fact that sacrcasm doesn't translate onto the internet inrages me.

Try this :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

lonad wrote: »
    intentional
    Yeah, stupid. It's spelt intentional. Duuuuhhhh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Hmmm! As a man who frequents his local dole queue i think this could be a good idea. I myself in rare times endulges in the occasional marajuana cigarette and on special occasions possibly more but if i were to find i would be tested i would never use such substances, not that i ever buy for myself. I would be a user of the very casual variety and would test clean if i were tested right now.

On the negative side if drug addicts were to test possitive for drugs and had their dole cut then they could turn to crime and our justice system is not adequate enough to punish these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Wudyaquit wrote: »
    Yeah, stupid. It's spelt intentional. Duuuuhhhh.

No, it's international.

Pauleta wrote: »
    Hmmm! As a man who frequents his local dole queue i think this could be a good idea. I myself in rare times endulges in the occasional marajuana cigarette and on special occasions possibly more but if i were to find i would be tested i would never use such substances, not that i ever buy for myself. I would be a user of the very casual variety and would test clean if i were tested right now.

On the negative side if drug addicts were to test possitive for drugs and had their dole cut then they could turn to crime and our justice system is not adequate enough to punish these people.

A man named Pauleta?

There's a song in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If anyone is found to have alcohol in their system will be sent to AA so they "can be assisted in getting over their addiction, and thus back on the road to employment"?

Alcohol is legal though, and the revenue it generates goes back to the state. I'm not saying I agree with testing everyone on the Dole, just in special cases. If someone tests positive for an illegal drug after 2 years on the Dole then it's fair to assume that they've spent a good proportion of taxpayers money on buying illegal substances and funding criminality

I'm not trying to generalise at all fwiw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Social Welfare is supposed to be there to provide emergency support for those who find themselves out of work. Unfortunately, for a long, long time it has become a career choice for many people who couldn't be ars*d working & is designed in such a way that it is actually an attractive choice for many people.

It wasn't designed for the situation we are in now - many of the professionals you mentioned above were hit by the collapse of the construction industry which started around 2 years ago. A lot of them no longer recieve benefits as they have run out & others, who were self employed, never recieved any in the first place.

Meanwhile, the scobies & layabouts still get their "entitlements", minus the Christmas "bonus". (The government didn't "think of the kids" there!)

Pay Related Social Insurance is one of the most inappropriately named things ever - it is pay related alright, but only related to what you are being paid.

As for drug testing? Jesus H. Why not just shoot them?

You sir have no idea of what you are talking about.

I grew up on social welfare and it is no picnic. Career choice my ass. When I was a kid I got one pair of shoes a year and thought it was Christmas when I got them.

Education got me out of that cycle but those that are on the dole long term in the main are the most marginalised segment of society.

Please refer to my last post regarding stupid bigotry towards social welfare.

I suggest you live on 196 euro a week for 6 months. Then try raising kids on precious little more. There's a reason why long term unemployed have a higher drug use. They have more to escape from, for as well as being marginalised they are ostracised aswell.

Just because you hold views on a matter doesn't make you an expert on it. Unless you have first hand experience of the dole I suggest you refrain from spitting vitriol things you don't understand. You just look foolish.

Advertisement