Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole Drug Test?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

DamienH wrote: »
    Urine is too easy to cheat unless you want someone looking at you while you piss. That isn't going to happen.

:rolleyes:

You may not think it, but thats exactly what happens when the company hired by the department of defence carries out the random drug tests.

A bloke watches the blokes pee and a woman watches the women pee to ensure nobody has pre prepared clean pee secreted somewhere on their person.

There would be no clinics!!!

This would be a central drug test agency that would carry out a small (as in less than 1000) number of random tests in different parts of the country each week.

You dont NEED to test everyone, you just make it random enough that everyone knows that any day and at any time the CRDT guys could turn up, take a random group of people, say everybody with the letter "m" in their surname, and perform the tests.

Knowing you COULD be tested and knowing the consequences of testing positive its a deterrent by its very nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

I already posted this but it seems to have been ignored
    wide spectrum narcotic tests based on saliva are available. a swab is put in your mouth for 30 seconds and that is that.
    Very little training and no having to watch people pee.

Here is a popular one. http://www.americanscreeningcorp.com/stores/1/Drug_Testing_Saliva_C21.cfm?gclid=CO6XiMHGrqECFQE8lAod3UXmAA
    Including staff it would come to €5 per person I have worked as paart of a group trying to bring the use of these for a variety of reasons.

So if the will was there it would be easy and cost efficient, but the will is not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Thanks for that, didn't think it'd happen at home. As long as they test it properly I suppose that way would be fairly fool proof. Still not perfect (you can dilute using vitamins, creatine and lucozade or the like) but it'd be over 90% effective I'd imagine. I've even seen, prosthetic penises you can use to "pass," clean urine. There's some mad **** out there.

I'm still against having to be tested though.

The reason why saliva isn't used it because of it's detection time. It's nowhere near as long as urine, which depending on who you believe, can be from 4 - 8 weeks for fairly constant use.

Would you be able to appeal about having some watch you urinate? Now that I think of it, it's a pretty easy gig (the guy watching), where do I sign!
    Morphéus wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

You may not think it, but thats exactly what happens when the company hired by the department of defence carries out the random drug tests.

A bloke watches the blokes pee and a woman watches the women pee to ensure nobody has pre prepared clean pee secreted somewhere on their person.

There would be no clinics!!!

This would be a central drug test agency that would carry out a small (as in less than 1000) number of random tests in different parts of the country each week.

You dont NEED to test everyone, you just make it random enough that everyone knows that any day and at any time the CRDT guys could turn up, take a random group of people, say everybody with the letter "m" in their surname, and perform the tests.

Knowing you COULD be tested and knowing the consequences of testing positive its a deterrent by its very nature.

edit: Now available in three skin colours!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Never run your own business, it just won't work.

:) That's reassuring..
    I've been running my own company for a while now part time.
    Trying to go full time with it at the moment actually...
    So what's stopping you targeting them? It's easier for people to target and slander a whole group of people than to do the right thing, if anybodies lazy, it's the gombeens making generalisations about all on social welfare.
    I think if you looked a bit further up the page you'd see where I wrote..
    Wazdakka wrote: »
    So how about drug testing for people who have been on the dole for over two years?

Look I'm not saying Drug testing is defiantly the way to do this or anything.
    It was just an idea and I was curious as to what people think.

Lets find another way then :)

I think we can all agree that there are some people (a minority, but they are there none the less) who are abusing the welfare system.

If we can find a way of limiting and penalising the minority that is abusing the system then maybe there will be some more money to go around.
    Which due to the number of people over the last year or so, who have been forced into claiming can't be a bad thing.

Not to mention those who have genuine reasons for requiring state help and are being paid well below what they need to live.

Dole Abuse is an issue, and clamping down on it is an opportunity to redistribute money in a better direction.

Instead of all just picking everybody elses arguments apart,
    how about we actually try to come up with a solution that might work.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Morphéus wrote: »
    Its my own opinion that the majority of the stuff is still imported, but I would wager its a 60- 40 percentage,

Based on............. ?
    people make the argument that drug users' money goes to criminals.
    Unless they grow their own !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i think we should just implant chips in everybody so that they can be terminated at their first inappropriate thought

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

One thing that gets clouded over in the arguements over the Dole is that its not your money they are taking. If they themselves have paid taxes for years and years they are now simply taking it back.

190 squids is hardly living the life of luxury..... or am i wrong. Id be more concerned with giving all my money to greedy bankers. Or have you not noticed that your bailing out the banks. Who cares what people do with their dole.... half the country is on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I don't think the should do it, but I'd have no problem if they did or didn't as I don't take drugs or anything!

How much would 1 million drug tests cost? Would the money not be better suited to something more worthwhile?

Advertisement