Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole Drug Test?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Oh dear. Another one. So you're not bigoted against those people just THOSE people. Take a step back and reread your post again.

So when you talk about people on the dole you don't mean middle class people that lost their jobs, you mean the poor people with Sky living in Mansions driving their 28 children to school in a Porsche?

Everyone tries man. It's called living.

For the record I've never had to directly draw social welfare not that it matters. If I lost my job and it came to that I've paid a lot of taxes as a high earner and I'll take my emergency ration that I'm entitled to. It's nothing shameful. It's the way we as a society have structured ourselves to look after those that have fallen on tough times.

Nope.

I know plenty of people on the dole that just drink it away every week. They're the people who should be targeted.

I do agree somewhat with what you're saying, but i have no time for people who put in **** all effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

What are you meant to do all day when unemployed?

Isn't it be better to be stoned immaculate and be doing nothing than being at work stoned and fecking up everything you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Why do people think of people on the dole as some sort of second class citizen

coz a percentage of them most definitely are

enough of a percentage to ruin it for the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

You know if anything today AH has taught me that everyone that despises people on the dole seems to have best friends that are drinking away their dole, getting council houses, not trying to get jobs.

Amazing how people have intimate first hand knowledge of people they profess to despise.

Furthermore, they seem to have a right to subject their fellow citizens, these wicked wicked people sponging 27.50 a day to live on to drug testing, ridicule and scorn.

They then get upset when you point this out.

Funny old place the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Drug test everyone on the dole, then the government & civil servants, well they are all getting paid by the state.
    When thats finished university students and why not secondary school students, there getting free education from the state.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

You know if anything today AH has taught me that everyone that despises people on the dole seems to have best friends that are drinking away their dole, getting council houses, not trying to get jobs.

Amazing how people have intimate first hand knowledge of people they profess to despise.

Furthermore, they seem to have a right to subject their fellow citizens, these wicked wicked people sponging 27.50 a day to live on to drug testing, ridicule and scorn.

They then get upset when you point this out.

Funny old place the internet.

The normal internet is full of nerds, but AH is full of normal people, normal people are idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

im on the dole....

and I dont take drugs...

who ever thuaght of that email should be beatin witha big stick....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

im on the dole....

and I dont take drugs...

who ever thuaght of that email should be beatin witha big stick....

well sir, quite frankly i'm astounded

Grammar-Police.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

mr incognito i completely agree with you ! Your talkin sense whereas the others don't seem to know and i agree if you cannot afford it don't buy it !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Not everyone on the dole is a layabout - there are families who have little choice & are struggling. There are ex-professionals who have no choice & are struggling, but you seriously cannot deny that there are also a lot of people who are long term dolites who simply chose not to work, even when there were jobs.

Just to put things into a bit of perspective, the CSO published data on the long term unemployed during the last years of the boom. I can't find a link but from what I remember it something like 28,000 people hadn't work in a 2 year period. While it is not an insignificant number and I not denying it isn't a problem - thats 28,000 out the 436,000 that are currently unemployed..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

But that might put all the drug dealers out of business? The government wouldn't let that happen...Too good an idea burn it quick before people back it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a benefits cheque because
    I have to pass one to earn it for them?
    You do not have to pass a drug test to pay for anyone, you don't have to do work in a job that demands piss tests that's your own choice. It makes sense for that job on a oil rig, they're probably not allowed to get drunk or smoke cigarette either. Should the rest of us lock ourselves in a box just so you don't feel left out?
    lonad wrote: »
    Lets euthanise anyone thats on the dole for longer than 2 years :pac:
    Why? Their babies are worth a fortune on the black market.
    questioner wrote: »
    I suggest not having kids if you cant afford to provide them with a decent upbringing.
    Telling an animal not to breed is like asking it not to breath, it won't happen, you can't stop nature.

EDIT: If anyone ever needs to pass a drug test here's how it's done for free. Most drugs won't stay in your system longer than 3 days so if your on the hard stuff you've little to worry about if you take a 2 day break you'll pass any test. To pass a test, wake up in the morning and have a piss, then drink 4 litres of water (not in one sitting) and there ya go drug test passed. Worked for me in court.

Helix wrote: »
    well sir, quite frankly i'm astounded

I cant beleave you just went to all that effort for me :)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

You must try leaving the suburbs some day. ;)
    I don't live in the suburbs and I'd wager it's the suburb dwellers here who complain the most about "professional dole claimers". :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

CamperMan wrote: »
    most people I know on welfare go on at least 2 holidays a year, they can afford to run cars, go to the pub, buy new toys, feck off to New York christmas shopping..
    All in your head dude...

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

I think everybody should stop moaning about the bloody dole. Even if I'm on the dole and i'm a scamming aul billix. I'm still on the dole and you are on 500 a week. you should be laughing at me not jealous. What is wrong with everyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Sweet Jesus.

1) This won't save any money. A weekly piss test for everyone claiming the dole? All you're doing is funelling money to labs, which I fancy will outweigh anything you save.
    2) Clean piss can be obtained from kids or by buying it. After all, these folks on the dole are just raking it in, right? :rolleyes:
    3) So when we cut these people off the dole, are they going to live on fresh, drug-free air? Or the kindness of strangers? Well,they might start begging, or just starve. Or maybe (shock horror) they might turn... to crime! Either way I don't fancy it.
    4) It's a massive invasion of privacy to have regular drug testing in any environment. It's justifiable in the case of the oil rig worker or someone working heavy machinery since, if he's high as a kite, he's going to get people killed. And if it's acceptable to do this for people claiming the dole, why not civil servants or all private employees? I'm against employers trying to make this standard practice - because what you spend your money on is your own business.

More supremacist nonsense cooked up by people believe in a fantasy world of welfare claimants living in mansions with a bevvy of children they neglect, stoked up all the time on coke with their hard-earned tax money. I'd love to see some of these people live for a couple of months on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

DarkJager wrote: »
    Stupid idea. I worked, I paid taxes, lost my job and I'm now recieving welfare payments which I am entitled to. I don't work for the social welfare, so what I choose to do in my own time is my business and nobody elses.

Not picking on you, but just using what you posted as an example.

I'll also say I've never had to claim Job Seekers Allowance so forgive my ignorance.

If someone is receiving Job Seekers Allowance, are they really in any state to seek employment if they're using recreational drugs?..

It wouldn't bother me in the least if a person on Job Seekers Allowance had to submit to random drug testing, in fact I'd have no objections to random testing whilst in employment also, but thats a whole other discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

Not picking on you, but just using what you posted as an example.

I'll also say I've never had to claim Job Seekers Allowance so forgive my ignorance.

If someone is receiving Job Seekers Allowance, are they really in any state to seek employment if they're using recreational drugs?..

It wouldn't bother me in the least if a person on Job Seekers Allowance had to submit to random drug testing, in fact I'd have no objections to random testing whilst in employment also, but thats a whole other discussion.

I wouldn't say you've ever taken drugs before either?

Oh + Alcohol was mentioned in the OP too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Yes. Obviously job-hunting is a no-no if you're baked as a cake but, IIRC, tests can detect certain drugs after 6 months of non-use.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

having a pint or a spliff an hour or so before the meeting isn't going to get in your way. Having a yolk might make for an interesting interview though. Many of the houses built over the last 10 years where built by people under the influence of at least hash. Builders used to love splashing the cash on drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

xzanti wrote: »
    I don't see why tbh, there are plenty of perfectly functioning people who work during the week and use recreational drugs at the weekend,
    Their still illegal.

Although I don't give a **** about drug use I do think this is a good excuse to knock people off the dole and it's not like they have a leg to stand on because the dole is only supposed to cover basic living expenses and not expensive drug habits.

Although I don't give a **** about drug use I do think this is a good excuse to knock people off the dole and it's not like they have a leg to stand on because the dole is only supposed to cover basic living expenses and not expensive drug habits.

Firstly the irony of your username.

Secondly the dole is 27 Euro a day!!

What sort of "expensive" drug habit are you going to support on that?

Sheesh.

yes they are smoking weed doesnt turn you into a zombie it heightens your preception and in some case's thats of use espechilkly with ina creative enviroment.

Sheesh.

epsom salts :pac:... also known as bath salts..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Sheesh.
    Like I said I don't care about drug use I just said you should not be able to afford drugs while on the dole.

The dole should be the bare minimum required to survive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Why not just do what the Romans did? Decimation. Go to the dole offices around the country, pick every tenth person in the queue and take em out back and shoot them. It'll get the dole numbers down, it'll save money for the economy, you can hire people to be in the firing squads and clean up crews- employment goes up. Everybody wins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Just to put things into a bit of perspective, the CSO published data on the long term unemployed during the last years of the boom. I can't find a link but from what I remember it something like 28,000 people hadn't work in a 2 year period. While it is not an insignificant number and I not denying it isn't a problem - thats 28,000 out the 436,000 that are currently unemployed..

It's not the people that have been made unemployed that I have a beef with. It's not even the long term unemployed who have never worked that I have a particular beef with either.

My problem is with the system. It was never designed to deal with the situation that most of the recently unemployed people now face. All of them payed PRSI for many years, yet when faced with the prospect of long term unemployment, most only recieve benefits for a year before they are means tested & the self employed don't recieve any benefits at all.

It makes you wonder why people pay PRSI at all, when all it seems to do is promote the culture & support the lifestyles of the dolites who wouldn't take a job if their lives depended on it & have never contributed anything whatsoever to the system or society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PatsyStone

How would it work? Dole offices are packed to the rafters every signing on day, would it be that everyone goes in with their Social Welfare Card and a little bottle? Where are they stored in the offices? When are they collected? How do the hospital labs around the country who already have a backlog deal with the large volume of samples. Personally I wouldn't be for it but I wonder were it implemented how it would work.

Advertisement