Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole Drug Test?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Everyone knows that Social Welfare cards are given to recipients for two reasons;

1. Swiping at the post office to collect their drug money
    2. Chopping up the coke into nice little white lines

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheCelticWizard

Irishcrx wrote: »
    But that might put all the drug dealers out of business? The government wouldn't let that happen...Too good an idea burn it quick before people back it!!

Put The drug dealers out of business by denying the dole to anybody who takes drugs? What a great idea, I'm quite sure none of them will start selling drugs themselves in order to survive. It's not like that and stealing are the only two options left once they've all been brought to (snigger) Justice.

There's always going to be people with limited knowledge and strong opions based on their limited knowledge to start threads like this. I am lucky enough to have a good job, but I do have several friends that are on the dole, they're not reveling in their freedom and taking shopping trips to New York(Seriously?), they are p***** off and worried as hell about how they're going to get back on their feet. A few of them smoke the odd spliff same as they did when they were working and that's 100% fine with me. In fact I cant see anybody who know's anything about "recreational drugs" having a problem with it, this is like a joining up of two bigotries, drugs bigotry and dole bigotry....horrible combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

If someone is receiving Job Seekers Allowance, are they really in any state to seek employment if they're using recreational drugs?..
    *bangs head off table*

Someone has a can or two of beer, or a glass of wine, or a spliff at night to relax, or a pill or two every few weekends, and that means they're not in any state to be seeking employment? Gimme a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

PatsyStone wrote: »
    How would it work? Dole offices are packed to the rafters every signing on day, would it be that everyone goes in with their Social Welfare Card and a little bottle? Where are they stored in the offices? When are they collected? How do the hospital labs around the country who already have a backlog deal with the large volume of samples. Personally I wouldn't be for it but I wonder were it implemented how it would work.
    How do private companies do it?

SugarHigh wrote: »
    How do private companies do it?

Urine samples.

• Advertisement

I don't think a complete cut off from the dole would be suitable but a deduction would be justified on the basis that they clearly have enough to live on and are wasting their excess cash on drugs.

Social Welfare Officer ; "Sir, in order for you to continue to recieve benefits, you will have to undergo a mandatory drugs test."

Social Welfare Recipient; "You're taking the p*ss?!?!!"

Social Welfare Officer ; "Ehm, yes."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Like I said I don't care about drug use I just said you should not be able to afford drugs while on the dole.

The dole should be the bare minimum required to survive on.

Only a person who isn't trying to survive on the dole could make such a stupid statement. If thats the case, you shouldn't be allowed to buy cosmetics, entertainment of any form, or anything that might put a smile on your face because you should only have the bare minimum to survive on.

I'd like to see you try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

In all honesty this is a great idea, if your not on drugs then you have nothing to fear, if you are on drugs then, well, your breaking the law and using tax payers money to fund your habit. theres no doubt there are many spongers on the dole as well as many real life hard recession cases but I think drug testing people would soon see the dole cues go down as well as the criminal rate and drug using rate.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Only a person who isn't trying to survive on the dole could make such a stupid statement. If thats the case, you shouldn't be allowed to buy cosmetics, entertainment of any form, or anything that might put a smile on your face because you should only have the bare minimum to survive on.

I'd like to see you try it.
    I'm currently in college with no grant and no dole. I have no disposable income and don't expect to have any because I'm not currently working.

I get the bare minimum off my parents to survive on which will be paid back to them after college. I don't drink or smoke. No you shouldn't be able to afford cosmetics because their a completely frivolous expense that is considered a luxury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

fartmaster wrote: »
    I think drug testing people would soon see the dole cues go down as well as the criminal rate and drug using rate.
    Wow. How's the weather in Fantasyland?

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Wow. How's the weather in Fantasyland?

It couldnt do any harm, id rather see a junky jailed and see his money used from the dole to give him treatment while in jail instead of him been loose on the streets spending taxpayers money on drugs wouldnt you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

That is an absolutly retarded idea.

In all honesty this is a great idea, if your not on drugs then you have nothing to fear, if you are on drugs then, well, your breaking the law and using tax payers money to fund your habit. theres no doubt there are many spongers on the dole as well as many real life hard recession cases but I think drug testing people would soon see the dole cues go down as well as the criminal rate and drug using rate.

If I am or am not using drugs is nobodies business. I am recieving welfare entitlements I have worked for, and what I do with that money is my own choice. Nobody elses.
    I'm currently in college with no grant and no dole. I have no disposable income and don't expect to have any because I'm not currently working.

I get the bare minimum off my parents to survive on which will be paid back to them after college. I don't drink or smoke. No you shouldn't be able to afford cosmetics because their a completely frivolous expense that is considered a luxury.

Do you have bills you have to pay? A car finance maybe? Insurance? Loans? If you don't, then you really don't know what the dole is like. It isn't a walk in the park, and to be honest its a depressing enough existence without depriving of yourself of some luxuries to keep a smile on your face. You'll understand it better when you start working.

If I am or am not using drugs is nobodies business. I am recieving welfare entitlements I have worked for, and what I do with that money is my own choice. Nobody elses.

Do you have bills you have to pay? A car finance maybe? Insurance? Loans? If you don't, then you really don't know what the dole is like. It isn't a walk in the park, and to be honest its a depressing enough existence without depriving of yourself of some luxuries to keep a smile on your face. You'll understand it better when you start working.

In all honesty your retarded if you are using drugs and if you using MY MONEY then it is my business and you can fook off and get a job!! Spend the money on whats important and not on the demons in your little head.

In all honesty your retarded if you are using drugs and if you using MY MONEY then it is my business and you can fook off and get a job!! Spend the money on whats important and not on the demons in your little head.

No, you can **** off and take your high horse with you. I worked in a job, I paid taxes and its MY money I'm now claiming, not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

So according to you people should only be able to spend their dole money on food and essential clothes?You might think that cosmetics are a luxury,but there are a lot of women who won't go out without make up on or men who have to wear aftershve everywhere.It helps peoples confidence,so really its more than just a luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

This thread is hilarious!

People can spend the money that government has decided they are entitled to on whatever they want,its nobody elses business,end of story.

No, you can **** off and take your high horse with you. I worked in a job, I paid taxes and its MY money I'm now claiming, not yours.

Dont blame me if I choose not to use drugs and have a problem with the idiots that do. Its a crime to use drugs and its a crime if your using the very limited TAXPAYERS money to buy more drugs. Frankly I have no time for drug users, your the reason criminals have BMWs and are shooting themselves left right and centre and your probualy the reason why YOU are on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

yes they are smoking weed doesnt turn you into a zombie it heightens your preception and in some case's thats of use espechilkly with ina creative enviroment.

I dunno, if I was running a business where my employee's were driving or in charge of machinery, dealing with the public, chef'ing etc I don't think I'd fancy hiring a stoner.

I'm not sure if our Garda are drug tested but members of our Defence Forces are subjected to random drug testing, I wouldn't have a problem with this across the work force tbh, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on this?.

• Advertisement

This thread is hilarious!

People can spend the money that government has decided they are entitled to on whatever they want,its nobody elses business,end of story.

I beg to differ. If we had a proper politicans, ones that actually cared, then we might actually take of our money and our people instead of throwing money at them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

I dunno, if I was running a business where my employee's were driving or in charge of machinery, dealing with the public, chef'ing etc I don't think I'd fancy hiring a stoner.

I'm not sure if our Garda are drug tested but members of our Defence Forces are subjected to random drug testing, I wouldn't have a problem with this across the work force tbh, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on this?.
    Do you honestly believe that because someone smokes weed, they do it all day every day? Would you brand everyone who smokes weed a "stoner"?

What problem do you have with someone smoking a spliff at night after work?

And do you have the same problem with someone having a can or two at night? Would you advocate testing for alcohol also?

Do you honestly believe that because someone smokes weed, they do it all day every day? Would you brand everyone who smokes weed a "stoner"?

What problem do you have with someone smoking a spliff at night after work?

And do you have the same problem with someone having a can or two at night? Would you advocate testing for alcohol also?

Weed is illegal, beer is not. must be some reason for this???

"what I do with that money is my own choice. Nobody elses."

Drugs are illegal and it is other peoples business if you purchase them with tax payers money.

"depriving of yourself of some luxuries"

Some luxuries but not drugs ffs

"You'll understand it better when you start working."

5 minutes ago you were saying the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh right, so alcohol is legal, therefore not harmful.
    Frankly I have no time for drug users, your the reason criminals have BMWs and are shooting themselves left right and centre and your probualy the reason why YOU are on the dole.
    I'd say it's more to do with that thing that's going on at the moment called the recession...

Dont blame me if I choose not to use drugs and have a problem with the idiots that do. Its a crime to use drugs and its a crime if your using the very limited TAXPAYERS money to buy more drugs. Frankly I have no time for drug users, your the reason criminals have BMWs and are shooting themselves left right and centre and your probualy the reason why YOU are on the dole.

Thats your problem then, not mine. People have their own lives, they can make their own choices, and they don't need you or anybody like you to approve of them. As I pointed out in my post, which you obviously didn't read, its my money. MY MONEY. Is that clear to you now?

And secondly, you don't know anything about me, anything about what I do in my free time yet you are quick to assume I'm funding scumbags and that its my fault I'm on the dole? **** right off with yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I beg to differ. If we had a proper politicans, ones that actually cared, then we might actually take of our money and our people instead of throwing money at them

You beg to differ what?
    I've never claimed the dole myself,but I'm pretty sure that when you collect your money the SW office doesnt hand people a list of things that they can and cant buy with their dole.

It's nobodys business what people spend their money that they are entitled to on whether it's legal or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheCelticWizard

It's hardly fair to assume that anybody who smokes pot or whatever would do it during working hours though is it? If we were to use this rationale then everybody who drinks is likely to get pissed while working too.

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh right, so alcohol is legal, therefore not harmful.

were did I say alcohol is not harmful?? Fact is if you buy drugs your funding criminals, which makes Weed far more harmful to our society than alcohol. you have to have a proper perspective of the situtation.

• Advertisement

It's hilarious that a lot of people in this thread seem to view illegal drug use as some sort of basic human right.

Advertisement