Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole Drug Test?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

fartmaster wrote: »
    were did I say alcohol is not harmful?? Fact is if you buy drugs your funding criminals, which makes Weed far more harmful to our society than alcohol. you have to have a proper perspective of the situtation.

Which you quite obviously don't. If you think weed is more harmful than drink you're even stupider than I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

DarkJager wrote: »
    Which you quite obviously don't. If you think weed is more harmful than drink you're even stupider than I thought.
    In terms of this thread it really doesn't make a difference so stop dragging it off topic.

The state has decided that weed is illegal so why the **** should it fund people who use.?

If you can afford weed while on the dole you are getting too much money and it should be cut. Weed falls well below what the government should provide to people on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

theres no doubt there are many spongers on the dole as well as many real life hard recession cases but I think drug testing people would soon see the dole cues go down as well as the criminal rate and drug using rate.
    You think depriving unemployed people of their sole source of income will push crime rates down? Where do you think they'll get their money from if they can't make it through legal means?
    In all honesty your retarded if you are using drugs
    Irony.
    Weed is illegal, beer is not. must be some reason for this???
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_Law_%28fallacy%29

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheCelticWizard

Weed is illegal, beer is not. must be some reason for this???

But you can buy a weeks supply of weed for the price of 5 pints of beer. I think these stoned up people on the dole are making the right choice, and "tightening their belts" to reflect the times we live in. Eddie Hobbs would be very proud to see this cultural change taking place.

SugarHigh wrote: »
    In terms of this thread it really doesn't make a difference so stop dragging it off topic.

The state has decided that weed is illegal so why the **** should it fund people who use.?

If you can afford weed while on the dole you are getting too much money and it should be cut. Weed falls well below what the government should provide to people on the dole.

If the state banned alcohol tomorrow would you say the same? There's too many people in this country who think they know whats best for everyone else, its ****ing sickening. I don't go out piously preaching to people on how to live their lives based on what I do or do not find acceptable. Some people would serve themselves better by living their own lives and stop trying to be a ****ing nanny to everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

It's hilarious that a lot of people in this thread seem to view illegal drug use as some sort of basic human right.
    It's scary that a lot of other people have the notion that it's ok to deny people the right to put whatever the hell they like into their bodies so firmly ingrained in their way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I think they should check to see how many retarded threads you've started on boards before giving you any money.

It's scary that a lot of other people have the notion that it's ok to deny people the right to put whatever the hell they like into their bodies so firmly ingrained in their way of thinking.

The same people are throwing back pints every weekend. ****ing hypocrites and nothing less.

The state has decided it doesn't want you to smoke weed so why should it fund you too. If you want to smoke weed legally then move to a country that allows this. Like I've already said I don't give a **** about drug use just don't expect the state to fund your drug use.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Dont blame me if I choose not to use drugs and have a problem with the idiots that do. Its a crime to use drugs and its a crime if your using the very limited TAXPAYERS money to buy more drugs. Frankly I have no time for drug users, your the reason criminals have BMWs and are shooting themselves left right and centre and your probualy the reason why YOU are on the dole.
    thats a bit juvenile. Darkjager just mentioned that he has worked and is actually claiming his own money he paid into tax. fair point. if he was to throw the money down the drain, would you be bothered? spent it all on a night with a prostitute, would you be bothered? I think you need to cop on and realise that no it is NOT your money. you are not handing it over in a little brown envelope.

• Advertisement

The same people are throwing back pints every weekend. ****ing hypocrites and nothing less.
    Stop trying to turn this into a weed vs alcohol thread.

The thread is about whether the state should fund people to take illegal drugs.

Bagel Girl wrote: »
    thats a bit juvenile. Darkjager just mentioned that he has worked and is actually claiming his own money he paid into tax. fair point. if he was to throw the money down the drain, would you be bothered? spent it all on a night with a prostitute, would you be bothered? I think you need to cop on and realise that no it is NOT your money. you are not handing it over in a little brown envelope.
    What do you think is the purpose of the dole?

It is not their so people can enjoy the same lifestyle they did while they were working it's their so people can still have food in their belly and shelter over their head. I won't begrudge people small luxuries but if you are able to afford illegal drugs then you are being paid to much.

Its only about the state funding it if the person has never worked in their lives. You seem to be missing that point. Also, what people do with their own money is their own business. You seem to be missing that point as well.
    SugarHigh wrote:

It is not their so people can enjoy the same lifestyle they did while they were working it's their so people can still have food in their belly and shelter over their head. I won't begrudge people small luxuries but if you are able to afford illegal drugs then you are being paid to much.

Do you think people just choose to go on the dole? I'd much rather be working and earning a wage but thats not possible at the moment. You are confusing dole spongers with legititmate claimants. And once again...WHAT PEOPLE DO WITH THEIR OWN MONEY IS THEIR OWN BUSINESS!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

No, it's about whether it's practicable or desirable to drug-test people and deny them social security benefits if they have taken drugs. For the many reasons cited earlier in the thread, it's not.

it's for people to live. and who are you to say it is not for people to enjoy the same lifestyle while they were working? so they've been made redundant so now should live on tesco value noodles and tap water and thats the bloody height of it? seriously. thats like telling someone who just got let go ''right mate... you're out of work, you are only gettin the dole now you have to give up smoking'' :rolleyes: :rolleyes: yeah Sugar... that makes a whole lotta sense!!

if you are able to afford illegal drugs then you are being paid to much.

Just as a matter of interest, how much do you think light recreational use of drugs costs?

From some of the posters here, you'd swear everyone claiming the dole was rubbing his face into a mountain of coke a la Joe Montana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

It's hilarious that a lot of people in this thread seem to view illegal drug use as some sort of basic human right.

If one is suffering from a condition which is treatable using then yes it is.

Its only about the state funding it if the person has never worked in their lives. You seem to be missing that point. Also, what people do with their own money is their own business. You seem to be missing that point as well.
    Only if what they are spending it on is legal.

Only if what they are spending it on is legal.

Fail.

it's for people to live. and who are you to say it is not for people to enjoy the same lifestyle while they were working? so they've been made redundant so now should live on tesco value noodles and tap water and thats the bloody height of it? seriously. thats like telling someone who just got let go ''right mate... you're out of work, you are only gettin the dole now you have to give up smoking'' :rolleyes: :rolleyes: yeah Sugar... that makes a whole lotta sense!!
    You realise their simply isn't the money to provide 400,000 people with the same lifestyle they had while working?

• Advertisement

geeky wrote: »
    No, it's about whether it's practicable or desirable to drug-test people and deny them social security benefits if they have taken drugs. For the many reasons cited earlier in the thread, it's not.
    Whether it is feasible or not could not be worked out by an AH thread because we simlple don't have the information needed about how much it would cost and estimates of how much it could bring in.

You realise their simply isn't the money to provide 400,000 people with the same lifestyle they had while working?

So what lifestyle is appropriate for a person on the dole? Basic food and shelter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

laws in this country they are stupid and petty.when i am off work i smoke joints wherever i go i am proud to smoke weed i dont hide in a corner i blaze up goin down the middle of the street.you should be free to do whatever you like so long as you dont interfear with anyones free will.and people on the dole are not animals :mad: i need a j after reading this thread:D

Fail.
    Nice argument you put forward. I think it's clear you don't have a counter argument as to why people should be allowed to buy illegal good with dole money

No way?? since when?

Sugar High. you need to understand that what people do with their dole money is their business, not yours nor mine!! I work full time. I'm a public servant. I still pay my taxes. At the end of the day I get a wage and thats that. I can still have my lifestyle. if someone was to come along tomorrow and take that away from me then yes, I would plan on still having the same lifestyle but I would be prepared without choice to down grade it. I might go from having tapas and cocktails to once a month rather then twice. I might have to go from hitting dundrum shopping centre twice a week to once. but I'd be mother f*ckin damned if I would put a complete stop to it!!

Whether it is feasible or not could not be worked out by an AH thread because we simlple don't have the information needed about how much it would cost and estimates of how much it could bring in.

Leaving aside estimates of how much it will 'bring in' (I'd fancy a guess that we'd spend as much testing people as we'd save on dole payments, but we'll leave that for a while), there are two points I made earlier in the thread that make this impractical.

Firstly, resourceful types can obtain clean urine.
    Secondly, and more importantly, when we cut these people off the dole, are they going to live on fresh, drug-free air? Or the kindness of strangers? Well,they might start begging, or just starve. Or maybe (shock horror) they might turn... to crime!

I'm opposed to this on moral grounds but, even leaving this aside, the idea is batty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

no the juvenile thing here is that he uses drugs to make himself feel better, it not like a doctor prescribed it for him or he 'actually needs to use drugs'. therefore in my opinion he is wasting the money, wasting Taxpayers money, wasting it on something he doesnt need and someone else with a brain would use it for a much better purpose.

No way?? since when?

Sugar High. you need to understand that what people do with their dole money is their business, not yours nor mine!! I work full time. I'm a public servant. I still pay my taxes. At the end of the day I get a wage and thats that. I can still have my lifestyle. if someone was to come along tomorrow and take that away from me then yes, I would plan on still having the same lifestyle but I would be prepared without choice to down grade it. I might go from having tapas and cocktails to once a month rather then twice. I might have to go from hitting dundrum shopping centre twice a week to once. but I'd be mother f*ckin damned if I would put a complete stop to it!!
    Your living in dream-world if you think the government can pay 400,000 people enough money to go shopping in dundrum once a week.

The state is short of money so why should it be spending money it doesn't have to supply people with illegal drugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

But you can buy a weeks supply of weed for the price of 5 pints of beer. I think these stoned up people on the dole are making the right choice, and "tightening their belts" to reflect the times we live in. Eddie Hobbs would be very proud to see this cultural change taking place.

thats some great logic there. how about instead of tightening up their belts they cop the fook on and stop messing with their own heads and wasting their money on pointless substances, and stop funding the criminals!! Only a person NOT on drugs seems to get the point im making here, which is understandable i guess as only sane people dont use drugs

• Advertisement

I've a question for Fartmaster and Sugarhigh: do you think a person who is on the dole has less right to the money they receive than someone who's employed?
    Only a person NOT on drugs seems to get the point im making here, which is understandable i guess as only sane people dont use drugs

I haven't touched anything illegal in years and I think you're talking bollocks.

Advertisement