Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole Drug Test?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Overheal wrote: »
    Your right to the Dole though you as an individual will have contributed large sums should not be without responsibility.

I want to take you up on this point. What responsibilities do you want to see applied? And do you think a person on the dole should have more responsibility to spend their money a certain way than people who are gainfully employed? If so, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

SugarHigh wrote: »
    And people like you are the reason weed will never be legal. Where does the money you spend on drugs go?
    Where do the drugs come from?

I dont care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

And people like you are the reason weed will never be legal. Where does the money you spend on drugs go?

Most of the money spent on drugs goes to criminal gangs. Cannabis is imported mostly from Holland, then mixed with 95% other materials (anything from dog **** to car tyres), as is a lot of coke, heroin & pills, though they are mixed with other cheaper chemicals, often speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Most of the money spent on drugs goes to criminal gangs. Cannabis is imported mostly from Holland, then mixed with 95% other materials (anything from dog **** to car tyres), as is a lot of coke, heroin & pills, though they are mixed with other cheaper chemicals, often speed.

C'mon now! How you mix pills with dog poo?
    You're getting carried away ;)
    This is very obviously a No answer innit?
    I mean next thing we'll be talking about eugenics and stuff.
    'He/she is a skanger, sterilise them...'
    Bloke's got to have a right to smoke if that's what he (or she, but it's mostly hes here yeah?) wants to do.
    Sure money goes to drug gang scumbags, but if it's in a bank then it goes to bank dealing scumbags, worse again as far as I'm concerned.
    Society breeds all types of badness, smoking dope is surely one of the more minor types.
    What bout old people? They're just a drain on the system too man:p
    Maybe there should be a pee test for them too, them OAPs, if they wet themselves during a test period, no pension, contributary or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

Wow what a thread. I've no input on this other than to say that anyone who forwards those chain emails should be shot.

• Advertisement

Pete M. wrote: »
    C'mon now! How you mix pills with dog poo?
    You're getting carried away ;)

I said that cannabis was mixed with dog poo. Pills, made from MDMA are cut with chemicals that are cheaper to produce - even heroin - as it is cheaper, hence the skaggy feeling that you get from a lot of pills which you don't get from pure MDMA.

You can mix pills with dog poo if you like, but it's a bit messy & smells bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

helios12 wrote: »
    Moderator AND a troll. Quite a few feathers in your cap;)

Watch it please.
    Instead of money, the dole office should hand out food parcels and second hand clothes.

I see this as meaning, "Stop giving them money to buy drugs, give them food and clothing instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

fartmaster wrote: »
    Dont blame me if I choose not to use drugs and have a problem with the idiots that do. Its a crime to use drugs and its a crime if your using the very limited TAXPAYERS money to buy more drugs. Frankly I have no time for drug users, your the reason criminals have BMWs and are shooting themselves left right and centre and your probualy the reason why YOU are on the dole.

For someone with such poor grammar and spelling, I find it very hard to believe you were able to string a coherent CV together and get yourself a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

It's scary that a lot of other people have the notion that it's ok to deny people the right to put whatever the hell they like into their bodies so firmly ingrained in their way of thinking.

He/she will understand when he/she finishes college and has to actually go out and get a job rather than living off Mammy and Daddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

I said that cannabis was mixed with dog poo. Pills, made from MDMA are cut with chemicals that are cheaper to produce - even heroin - as it is cheaper, hence the skaggy feeling that you get from a lot of pills which you don't get from pure MDMA.

You can mix pills with dog poo if you like, but it's a bit messy & smells bad.

What skaggy feeling? Don't know what you're talking about ;)

And there ain't no thing as good sh1t I suppose, not any more, god be with the daze hah?

And I would also like to say that I, as a tax payer, have no problem with those who obtain state benefits out of necessity, smoking the ganj.
    Much as I don't have a problem with them drinking, laughing, minding their own business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

You seem to think that just because you don't think these drugs should be illegal that it is somehow ok to take them. If you have a problem with a law you protest against it you do not break that law to prove a point. Their are plenty of laws I don't liek it doesn't mean I should be allowed to break them.

No no no, all wrong, I think it's ok to take certain drugs because I done my homework on them, there's a reason why I don't drink much, there's a reason I don't smoke nicotene, and there's a reason I don't drink caffene.

I also do not break a law to prove a point, I am a law abiding citizen for the best part. I do ingest marijuana from time to time, but even the state doesn't consider this to be very bad.
    @ Iamxavier, jeeze calm down - you'll give yourself a heart attack taking that crap if it makes you that aggressive!.

I don't think anything I take is going to give me a heart attack ;), nor does anything I take make me aggressive. I am aggressive by nature :)
    Being in the Defence Forces has mean't I've been subject to random screening a long time, same as being a competitive Judo competitor and if that mean's I'm ignorant to using recreational drugs then so be it.

I simply ask you to understand the drugs better before passing judgement. I had a similar mentality prior to my understanding of drugs and the effects they have on your body.
    However having grown up in Ballymun, and mostly all of my family living there still, I'm hardly ignorant to the problems drug addiction brings to family and the wider community.

I wouldn't claim that you are ignorant of the problems drugs cause, but you do display a lack of understanding of certain drugs, sorry to say. There are also different types of drugs, some bring a lot of problems, some don't bring many at all. I see legal drugs bringing a lot more problems to the home than illegal drugs.
    I'll be honest about something here, I detest drugs and I hate what drugs do to people - but my detest run's much, much deeper when I chance across middle class **** who feel isolated from the whole scene. They think its fashionable to do coke, or smoke smack or drop a few 'yokes in Krystal.

I think you have a perception that only a certain type of person takes drugs. If I am understanding this correctly. But what if an upper class or lower class citizen were to take drugs, do you have the same ideas? I think the main topic of conversation is weed, I don't think anybody is arguing for coke or smack. You will find that weed is a completely different drug to the likes of cocaine and heroin. Same can be said for MDMA, it's not as bad as it's made out to be. Saying that, I wouldn't try any of them as I am not interested and I understand that they are harmful (moreso because they are illegal and there is no regulation involved)
    But if there's one thing which the old PD Justice minister Micheal McDowell said which I whole heartedly agree on is "for every line of coke bought in Foxrock someone gets shot in Coolock" (or words to that effect).

You agree with this? In what sense?
    So anyway, calm down & grow up.

As for the discussion re. people on the dole ; do I honestly and truely believe they should be drug tested - no I don't and I've genuine sympathy for the people in this thread who find themselves unemployed - I couldn't imagine how depressing it must be.

I thought you were all for drug testing people on social welfare? Now i'm confused... :confused:

And what are people like him like exactly???

I don't know where you get this from. Do you have any links to back up your claims? I don't think they are true, sorry to say. Not sure if it's imported mostly from holland either. I also seriously doubt it's mixed with dog poo.

Either way, a LOT of weed is grown in Ireland, believe it or not. Many people have turned to growing their own, as it's not exactly difficult to do, albeit very risky. Not as much money is going to the gangs as you think it is.
    Magenta wrote: »
    For someone with such poor grammar and spelling, I find it very hard to believe you were able to string a coherent CV together and get yourself a job.

Jesus, fcuking christ... lol... Now that was harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

Watch it please.

I see this as meaning, "Stop giving them money to buy drugs, give them food and clothing instead.
    Well if it was worded a little more carefully I may not have viewed it as a troll post.Of course, at this point I'm basing that solely on the belief that the poster meant it exactly how you have just interpreted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,973 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

geeky wrote: »
    I want to take you up on this point. What responsibilities do you want to see applied? And do you think a person on the dole should have more responsibility to spend their money a certain way than people who are gainfully employed? If so, why?
    I dont think that starting with making sure Dolers aren't bleeding money out into the black market would be that absurd.

On a more existential level you have a responsibility to contribute to society; as Society has Contributed to You.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

I don't suppose anyone would consider legalizing and taxing cannabis?

I don't smoke myself but I'd like to see the extra revenue hit the coffers and less people pissed trying to knock each others heads in on the weekends would be nice.

(plus I'd rather not hear about people I know who have fallen on hard times having their dignity taken away also)

I meant to post this earlier, it shocked me when I first seen it too, although I knew where marijuana was on the list or there abouts.

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Overheal wrote: »
    I dont think that starting with making sure Dolers aren't bleeding money out into the black market would be that absurd.

On a more existential level you have a responsibility to contribute to society; as Society has Contributed to You.

But should 'Dolers' come under more scrutiny than... non-dolers? And why?

geeky wrote: »
    But should 'Dolers' come under more scrutiny than... non-dolers? And why?

I understand what Overheal is saying and as we are dependant on the state, we should spend our money wisely. While many of us worked for it, others have not. It's very fair to say that with the money you have, you should at the very least, pay for shelter, food and water, after than it's up to you. Which is what I am trying to say. If I decide to spend my money wisely, cut down on bills, food, expenses in general, then with that extra money I should be able to buy my booze or weed or whatever I decide to indulge in as I have budgeted my money accordingly. Now, I could not do that and I could buy nicer food, better accomodation, etc etc. You know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Its a fairly stupid idea.
    If someone on the dole wants to smoke weed than good for them.
    Its no ones business what they spend their money on. Although I must admit, if I was only taking in 200 euro a week, weed would be one of the last things on my mind.

However, I do think they should have to prove that they are looking for jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

All i know is that in the future I'll look back on this and any other thread that has mentioned the dole since 2008 and I'm going to be in awe of the sour selfish attitudes of the people of Ireland.

People are being so moany and holier than thou when it comes to dole recipients but the fact is that when the recession goes away all the "lazy job-hating bums" (like myself) will have jobs and all of the sour begrudging bástards will not give a hooley about who is claiming the dole. Social welfare is there because as a society we agreed to pay taxes so that the most unfortunate get helped out when the economy goes barmy or the luck is against us. OK There ARE people who abuse it and there ARE people who get more than they deserve (check my previous posts) but will PEOPLE EVER STOP GENERALISING ABOUT PEOPLE ON THE DOLE!!!

As so many have said before. Just live on the dole and see if it is in any way luxurious. you will soon realise that dole luxuries are BS for 99.999% of people.

If you idolise or envy some fool who is happy on the dole for 5 years then join him. its not a members only club. Seriously. If there are people who are happy on the dole there is something wrong with the system. if the systems fine then I say just quit your job and see how great it is. please!

bigbadbear wrote: »
    All i know is that in the future I'll look back on this and any other thread that has mentioned the dole since 2008 and I'm going to be in awe of the sour selfish attitudes of the people of Ireland.

People are being so moany and holier than thou when it comes to dole recipients but the fact is that when the recession goes away all the "lazy job-hating bums" (like myself) will have jobs and all of the sour begrudging bástards will not give a hooley about who is claiming the dole. Social welfare is there because as a society we agreed to pay taxes so that the most unfortunate get helped out when the economy goes barmy or the luck is against us. OK There ARE people who abuse it and there ARE people who get more than they deserve (check my previous posts) but will PEOPLE EVER STOP GENERALISING ABOUT PEOPLE ON THE DOLE!!!

As so many have said before. Just live on the dole and see if it is in any way luxurious. you will soon realise that dole luxuries are BS for 99.999% of people.

If you idolise or envy some fool who is happy on the dole for 5 years then join him. its not a members only club. Seriously. If there are people who are happy on the dole there is something wrong with the system. if the systems fine then I say just quit your job and see how great it is. please!

Hmm.

• Advertisement

You are allowed happiness on social welfare though. To be happy you are on social welfare is another thing. I was the happies in my life that I can remember only a few weeks ago, when I was chatting to some poor bastard outside Ron Blacks the night we had AH beers, he was looking for a few euro, I gave him a few smokes. Imagine, me, on social welfare, in a position to help another human being in a time of need, who had a lot less than me by the looks of things.

I mean, things are not great, much prefer to be on a min wage job, but for me at least, things could be a lot lot worse.

Hmm.

well sell it to me then whats the good points about it?? seriously. being able to afford a few pints at the weekend is not exactly motivation to stay on the dole is it?

I mean, things are not great, much prefer to be on a min wage job, but for me at least, things could be a lot lot worse.

spot on. glad its there and wouldn't die if there was a minor cut to the dole or anything but its still not my preferred choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Well done; you came up with an "are you a complete fucking fucktard" poll... Apparently 42.39% of users are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

pwd wrote: »
    Well done; you came up with an "are you a complete fucking fucktard" poll... Apparently 42.39% of users are.

49% if you count the atari option.

well sell it to me then whats the good points about it?? seriously. being able to afford a few pints at the weekend is not exactly motivation to stay on the dole is it?

spot on. glad its there and wouldn't die if there was a minor cut to the dole or anything but its still not my preferred choice

You missed the point. You complain about people making generalisations is one sentence, then made a sweeping a generalisation in the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,973 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yes because rather than address the view, and debate like an adult, insulting other members of this site with a view that varies from yours is the way forward.

Riiiight. Here's a facepalm :rolleyes: take it to the bank.

You missed the point. You complain about people making generalisations is one sentence, then made a sweeping a generalisation in the next.

How??

If your trying to imply that some people would physically die if they had a small cut to the dole then i'm open to new the info..

will PEOPLE EVER STOP GENERALISING ABOUT PEOPLE ON THE DOLE!!!

As so many have said before. Just live on the dole and see if it is in any way luxurious. you will soon realise that dole luxuries are BS for 99.999% of people

I take it then that the figure of 99.999% of people is indeed a sourced figure & not just a generalisation as to what they actually spend their money on?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Argue your point without insulting people. Please.

• Advertisement

I take it then that the figure of 99.999% of people is indeed a sourced figure & not just a generalisation as to what they actually spend their money on?

grow up if i had said 96% then i would know you were serious but OK you are right there may be more than 1 person in every 100,000 people that may have luxuries on the dole. well done for pointing out that i was exaggerating.

i was not generalising about people. Are you or have you ever been on the dole?

Advertisement