Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Note from the gardai

Options
  • 29-04-2010 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

About two weeks ago on the friday evening my mate bought a shotgun from the local firearms dealer, on the monday afternoon he went to drop in the paperwork for the gun to the local station, tha gaurd took the paperwork and printed a note off the computer granting him the permission to take the gun out of the shop that evening,
    just wondering has anyone else had this done for them??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I did :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Foxer101

Is there any reason to it being done for certain people such as if your trading in a wepon, or can it be done for anyone??
    was yours for a shotgun or a rifle??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

My guard done the same for me. And that was for a .270 rifle

I think the guards will do it for the people they know and can trust with a gun i.e. i already have a gun and she knew i was eager to get my hands on the new rifle so she wrote me the note!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Foxer101

alright not so bad.
    as you've probably seen in another post i'm thinking hard about getting a rifle,, i hhave 3 shotguns already so hopefully my gaurd does the same for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Not to rain on your parade, but AFAIK the Guards aren't authorised to issue such letters under the new legislation (At least I can't find anything anywhere on this - but I'd be glad to stand corrected).

So effectively, as ever, they're making up this s***e as they go along.
    We've all been complaining enough when they make it up and do things outside of the legislation that we don't like and doesn't suit us - Let's not be too joyful when they on this one very limited occasion actually make up a new rule themselves which does suit us.

Whilst it's nice and all, it's all part of the same damn problem (Just a more favourable flip-side of the same cackhanded unfair and unreasonable system we've been left with by DA with all his tinkering and playing the fairy godmother to the medja).

On another note, be VERY careful using such a letter from the Guards - If you stay in your own district, you should get away with it - But what happens if you go into another district where the Guards know nothing about these magical letters apparently "allowing" you to purchase and possess an as-yet unlicenced firearm? I would not like to be the one trying to explain that one to the judge.:eek:

Again, sorry for being such a downer on what does actually make sense - Just thought I'd play the devils advocate on this one and point out that all might not be a sensible as you hoped for.

• Advertisement

your trading in a wepon

:eek:

There's that damn w-word again. Lads, ffs, it's a firearm, a gun, a rifle, a whatever.....but never a "weapon". At least not on this forum.
    I thought we'd agreed we weren't using the w-word!?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

PLUS+1 DCorbus.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    PLUS+1 DCorbus.

Then why the Fu(k do the Gardai keep refering to it as such ! ,
    it gets on my goat too but the reality is people, Gardai, Joe soap etc will refer to a firearm as a "weapon" so .........chill TFO
    please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    PLUS+1 DCorbus.

+1=2 :D

You should see a good Movie called Green Zone, It states that WEAPON's OMD do Not exist ;);)

Firearm, it fires a projectile from your arm :D

But yes, todays episode of Boards was brought to you by the word FIREARM and the number 7

Then why the Fu(k do the Gardai keep refering to it as such !

I don't know....maybe coz they haven't a clue perhaps? And legislation to deal with "weapons" gets more headlines maybe?

Just because they refer to firearms that way - doesn't mean we should.

I personally have no problem with the word "weapon" and would normally be happy to use it, however, since it has certain negative connotations and there's an implied aggressivity attached to the word in many people's minds, I appreciate why we shooters should prefer any other word TBH.
    but the reality is people, Gardai, Joe soap etc will refer to a firearm as a "weapon" so .........

Oh, that's OK then.

Joe Soap and the Guards use it, must be the best word to use so.:eek:;)
    chill TFO

No, you chill TFO:D

Did you not notice my little smiley face:
    I thought we'd agreed we weren't using the w-word!?:D

Now, who's the one who should take the chill-pill?;)
    Firearm, Firearm, Firearm, Firearm, Firearm, Firearm.....
    Sing it with me......:D:D:D:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

"aggressivity"
    I'm gettin that feker tatooed on my arse :D:D:D

and I'm chillin boss, I'm chillin .

Sorry ... On bottle no2 and had 3 mohoitos earlier... In NO position to get into an argument :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

dCorbus wrote: »
    I don't know....maybe coz they haven't a clue perhaps? And legislation to deal with "weapons" gets more headlines maybe?

Just because they refer to firearms that way - doesn't mean we should.

I personally have no problem with the word "weapon" and would normally be happy to use it, however, since it has certain negative connotations and there's an implied aggressivity attached to the word in many people's minds,

You were correct in the first instance tro be annoyed at the flippant use of the word - no need to justify yourself.

The Gardai refer to a "weapon" because that i what the law - all the laws - are designed to deal with. Implements which are a threat to the individual or society.
    The law an the Gardai are not deisgned to legislate or deal with sporting implements so they do notrefer to them.

A Pillow can be a weapon, a hurley can be a weapon, a glof club can be a weapon, a car can be a weapon, a foxglove can be a weapon and a firearm can be a weapon. In essence any implement can be a weapon should the person weilding it intend to cause harm.

I for one neither own nor have ever weilded a weapon - of any form.
    I do however own and take part in sport with firearms.

Hopefully that clarifies the point for anyone for whom the bottle is half empty.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Bananaman wrote: »
    A Pillow can be a weapon, a hurley can be a weapon, a glof club can be a weapon, a car can be a weapon, a foxglove can be a weapon and a firearm can be a weapon. In essence any implement can be a weapon should the person weilding it intend to cause harm.

You forgot screwdriver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

the queer one after a night out?

Advertisement