Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to go back to college

Options
  • 29-04-2010 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

I'm out of college almost 12 years. I did a course for the sake of doing something. I did really enjoy it but had no idea where it would lead me to. How they expect young people to know what they want to do at 17 ? Im now stuck in a dead end job and i hate it (i suppose im lucky to have a job though). But it's so bad that it has made me sick and am on illness benefit atm.

I have always wanted to go back to college. The course i always wanted to do in computers is a full time course. I already have a NCEA diploma (It's called a Bachelor Degree now I think level 7).

I don't think I'd survive doing a full time course on no income at all but if I quit my current job now and draw get jobseeker's benefit for 12 months I may get the BTEA. I know it's a sh1tty way to get it, but it's all I can think of. The closing date for registrations this year is the 11th of June so I assume it will be the same next year. Although I am afraid that if I was disqualified for 9 weeks because I quit my job I would lose out on the deadline next year. So you can see the fix I am in.

I love to hear some suggestions from other mature students. I'm not quitting my job to make a career on the dole, I'm entitled to draw my stamps that I worked up over the 12 years. I want to work in a job that I love and be happy and trying to find a way to do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

closing date for matures going through cao was Feb 1
    i worked for 13 years in construction, i was givin 9 months stamps, for all my years of taxes paid when i was let go in january
    basically givin the 2 fingers by the system, hoping to qualify for btea also, and acceptance into UL in sept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

BOBBY wrote: »
    closing date for matures going through cao was Feb 1
    i worked for 13 years in construction, i was givin 9 months stamps, for all my years of taxes paid when i was let go in january
    basically givin the 2 fingers by the system, hoping to qualify for btea also, and acceptance into UL in sept

Hi BOBBY, the course I'm interested in is through the college though in June.

Hope you get your place and things work out for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lilylarkin

Antirip, there are other options besides BTEA. You could be eligible for free fees. You could apply for a local Authority grant and get both fees paid and also receive a maintenance grant. The maintenance grant is about 100 quid a week. You may also qualify for a special rate which is about as much again. Working parttime while studying is a needs must. Most students do it. You can do it too if you put your mind to it. Possibly you could do some of your current work on a contract/work-from-home basis. You never know whats out there, but you must poke around. Best of luck with it, i know its awful to be in a job that you hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sharon1

I too am looking to go back to college and my situation is quiet similar so I am looking for any help you may be able to give me..

I previously went to college over 10 years ago but did not complete the course since then I have been working mainly full time but sometimes part time. I have just changed to a new job which is full time in order to save some money as I do not think I would be eligible for grants having previously received them. The problem I have is that I really HATE this job and am now wondering if I would be better off handing in my resignation and seeking Jobseekers Benefit (I too would presumably have to wait the 9 weeks). As it is too late to apply to start a course this year anyway, I think this would benefit me as to receiving a BTES for 2011 enrollment.

The course I am looking at is Veterinary Nursing in DKIT and obviously I am a mature student! :) As a mature student I am assuming I will need to show some animal care experience but apart from my own pets and waifs and strays I've rescued over the years, I have no actual work experience per say.
    Resigning would also mean I could look into volunteering at the local Rescue centre and/or vet practices if poss.

I have a family too so you can see my difficulty re finances but this is really something I feel strongly about.........help guys:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

sharon1 wrote: »
    I too am looking to go back to college and my situation is quiet similar so I am looking for any help you may be able to give me..

I previously went to college over 10 years ago but did not complete the course since then I have been working mainly full time but sometimes part time. I have just changed to a new job which is full time in order to save some money as I do not think I would be eligible for grants having previously received them. The problem I have is that I really HATE this job and am now wondering if I would be better off handing in my resignation and seeking Jobseekers Benefit (I too would presumably have to wait the 9 weeks). As it is too late to apply to start a course this year anyway, I think this would benefit me as to receiving a BTES for 2011 enrollment.

The course I am looking at is Veterinary Nursing in DKIT and obviously I am a mature student! :) As a mature student I am assuming I will need to show some animal care experience but apart from my own pets and waifs and strays I've rescued over the years, I have no actual work experience per say.
    Resigning would also mean I could look into volunteering at the local Rescue centre and/or vet practices if poss.

I have a family too so you can see my difficulty re finances but this is really something I feel strongly about.........help guys:)

I feel the situation you are in. You won't necessarily be suspended from JB for 9 weeks though. I've asked a SW officer and he said this was only the case if you were sacked.

I've decided to keep working though. I've came to the conclusion it may be OTT to quit a job I've been in for 10 years so that I can go back to college. You have to remember that if you quit work to go back to college, you are paying dearly. Just take you net pay for the year and subtract e10,192 (could be less next year and the next) and that's your yearly fee for college.

Also, with all the cuts and uncertainly down the line there very well be a reduction or complete abolishment of the BTEA. Where would you be if this happened on top of new bills like water rates and property tax. I know it sounds like what if, what if, what if the world ended but with this government, there is no certainty what the hell is coming down the line.

Paying e6000-e7000 for OU or DCU distant learning is a really good (a lot cheaper) option. I don't mind been out of work for 3 or 4 years if I'm going to college full time but after it's finished you're joining another 453,000 looking for full time employment. You may be another 3 or 4 years looking for that job you like.

Sorry for all the negatively but you really have to look at things realistic as the good years of employment are gone and you may already be extremely lucky to already have a full time job. Look into the distant learning first and at least then you've explored all your options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Could you volunteer at the Animal Rescue without giving up your job? It would give you the experience anyway, and give you chance to know if that was what you really wanted to do.

It could be a bit difficult volunteering when you are claiming, I think you have to get permission, and not all jobs would be eligible.

Advertisement